Sign in to follow this  
murraygd13

Joey Votto 2019 Outlook

16 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

So, now Joey Votto was only good for 5 years?  Come on.

he doesn't even have 1,000 career Runs or RBIs.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

This is just sad now.

That is EXACTLY the crap I was watching him do in SF when I made this post a week or two ago:

Watching him in San Francisco, wtf is this guy doing?  I swear he choked up about eight inches against Bumgarner and he was practicing these bizarre half swings.  Oddly enough, on one of them he actually blooped one into left field, almost by accident.  Even choking up he was late on a bunch of pitches.  Zero bat-speed, watching strikes whiz by. 

What in the living f__k is he doing?!!??!!?!?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mlb2019 said:

he doesn't even have 1,000 career Runs or RBIs.

Rs & RBIs?  

How about a triple slash line of .308/.424/.524, or a career bWAR of 58.5.  He's 13th all time in OBP.  Only 2 players ahead of him are not in the Hall and one is Barry Bonds.

I'm not sure if he's a surefire, first ballot HOF'er if he retires today.  But, to say he's only had 5 good years is pretty ridiculous.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Votto is 19th All-time in career OPS. Impressive list.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/onbase_plus_slugging_career.shtml

See how many hitters are .300/.400/.500+ for their career. Lol at your RBI

19th greatest OPS and played over 10 seasons and not even 1000 runs or rbi. so put Votto in the hall of fame because he stood on first base so much. 

5 minutes ago, mlb2019 said:

19th greatest OPS and played over 10 seasons and not even 1000 runs or rbi. so put Votto in the hall of fame because he stood on first base so much. 

If you hit a double and your teammates can’t get on base so no one scores, does that not count? Do you understand why those stats aren’t great gauges?

There are reasons to be concerned here, but him standing in the batter box or doing weird crap at the plate isn't one of them. He's been doing crazy stuff like choking up an insane amount and doing near squats at the plate for years. He tinkers with his approach constantly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AnonymousRob said:

There are reasons to be concerned here, but him standing in the batter box or doing weird crap at the plate isn't one of them. He's been doing crazy stuff like choking up an insane amount and doing near squats at the plate for years. He tinkers with his approach constantly.

You can say that again!

*I don't recall him doing those bizarre half swings in prior years.  Admittedly I don't watch a bunch of Reds home games.  

Edited by Overlord

1 hour ago, Backdoor Slider said:

If you hit a double and your teammates can’t get on base so no one scores, does that not count? Do you understand why those stats aren’t great gauges?

that is why we need stats that are used for stranded base runners. the batters who fail to advance base runners should be penalized with some stat. I know what you mean its like Mike Trout.

9 hours ago, mlb2019 said:

I know right, what a bum.

Can't believe Votto didn't sign better players and improve that farm system so he could have some better hitters on his team to help him score more runs and record more RBI!

Baseball hitting and pitching is a repetitive sport... same motion training your body... building muscle memory... this guys taking swings outside the batters box like a d head... then expects to come in and take a good cut?? More importantly he's showing his A** in the video above... stepping in like he's gonna hit standing up turning around kicking dirt clearly having words about whatever the previous pitch was probably saying I'm joey fn votto... then steps out again? ? Runs back in... if I was the pitcher when his back was turned and the ump didn't have his hands up like he didn't I'd have thrown it... the ump should have lit him up anyway taking forever looking like a clown....

15 hours ago, Kirito-Sama said:

Haha, no. 

Not close for me. Especially when his glorious all important career obp dips with his decline.

Yeah, probably a little overboard with the HOF comment. I don't own the guy and I would drop anywhere I did own him. It's just sad to see these once great players decline so quickly. 

On 5/22/2019 at 4:03 PM, slaphitter said:

In watching the clip above, it appears he's trying to play a different sport

Cricket?

• Haha 3

On 5/22/2019 at 5:03 PM, slaphitter said:

In watching the clip above, it appears he's trying to play a different sport

Looks like he’s practicing impaling someone with a sword.

GOT on his mind?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don’t know why I can’t let go of hope that he turns it around. All signs point to the wheels having fallen off and rolled a quarter mile down the road but yet I’m still rostering him. I’ve got Edwin as my other 1B option so Votto has been benched for a while now but I can’t bring myself to drop him. Can I give someone in here my league login info so they can do it for me?? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BostonCajun said:

I don’t know why I can’t let go of hope that he turns it around. All signs point to the wheels having fallen off and rolled a quarter mile down the road but yet I’m still rostering him. I’ve got Edwin as my other 1B option so Votto has been benched for a while now but I can’t bring myself to drop him. Can I give someone in here my league login info so they can do it for me?? 

I’m right there with you 😰

• Like 2

The NL central has really solid pitching, but this is something else. I just can't cut though... I still believe. 

Parked permanently on my bench and I'm giving him 1-2 more weeks before an outright drop. I can't believe it... had him 2 years ago and he was a top 8 bat easy. He was also pretty old then too. Combined with last year and we've got a downright gnarly streak of awfulness amongst a pretty decent size of PA's. Sad.