ThreadKiller

Mike Soroka 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

Message added by tonycpsu

3 minutes ago, swfcdan said:

So he's human after all? I was beginning to call him Martian Mike.

2nd HR given up this year, pretty insane in todays day and age.

Yea he left a changeup up to Marte.  Had good movement on it but it faded right into the heart of the plate.  Happens.

On 6/8/2019 at 10:36 AM, PhilaFanBoy said:

The Braves' announcers were commenting last night on how the Braves' GM doesn't necessarily buy into the need to limit a young pitcher's innings/shut them down late in the season. Take that for what you will. Not saying it's smart. But the Braves have certainly not shown any caution with Soroka. Maybe he's pitching so well that he's near 80-90 pitches by the time he gets to the 7th anyways, but even last night they let him get to 100 when they led the Marlins' 7-0.

I can't imagine they'll shut down their best pitcher in a tight race, unless they have the division wrapped up two weeks before season's end. If they do limit innings, let's hope it's in late July/early August and not in September.

Then I will.  It IS smart of them.

On 6/11/2019 at 9:36 AM, crotchcrickets said:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/how-does-mike-soroka-do-it/

Good article on Soroka.  Basically he's good Mike Leake or 2019 Mile Mikolas.  Nothing flashy but still very useful in fantasy.

Just reason #386 why I don't go to fangraphs any more.

On 6/11/2019 at 10:15 AM, CuredMeats said:

Thinking about making a trade offer for this guy but the innings limit stuff scares the crap out of me. 

So you are afraid he will pitch too much????????

7 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

It was bound to happen. In my opinion, he's a 3.3 - 3.5 ERA guy ROS. 

You're right, and that sounds reasonable.  He could still even be a 3 ERA guy ROS, but even if it would be your projected level, I'd be ok with that.  He's still going to win plenty of games, and obviously an ERA around there is still pretty good.  While some may be scrambling to sell high after one awful game, I'm still happy to have Soroka.

• Like 1

Didn't actually see it, but not sure how the pitcher can miss so badly they end up hitting the opposing pitcher in the arm.

Anyways, in more positive news, X-rays were negative and he's expected to make his next start.

He was simply dealing based on that statline. Didn’t have a chance to watch him at all but if he starts ringing people up with k’s he’s an even better asset than anyone could’ve hoped for.

2 hours ago, mike11 said:

He was simply dealing based on that statline. Didn’t have a chance to watch him at all but if he starts ringing people up with k’s he’s an even better asset than anyone could’ve hoped for.

San Diego strikes out a lot, but I'm still surprised Soroka doesn't get more K's usually based on his Curveball and Changeup, especially with the way the bottom falls out of his Curveball.

2 hours ago, Trexpenniebaker said:

whats his innings limits for the ROS ?

Exactly 160.  Once he hits that mark, it doesn't matter if he's in the middle of an inning in a crucial game, they will shut him down and probably lose the game and miss the playoffs after they collapse at the end of the season due to the team protesting the innings limit on their best pitcher.

In other words, we don't know, and they very well could end up scrapping any innings limit plans if they decide they need Soroka bad enough of course.  The Dodgers pretty much ended up doing that with Buehler last season.

Edited by KilloWertz
  • Like 1

On 7/15/2019 at 9:48 PM, KilloWertz said:

San Diego strikes out a lot, but I'm still surprised Soroka doesn't get more K's usually based on his Curveball and Changeup, especially with the way the bottom falls out of his Curveball.

Exactly 160.  Once he hits that mark, it doesn't matter if he's in the middle of an inning in a crucial game, they will shut him down and probably lose the game and miss the playoffs after they collapse at the end of the season due to the team protesting the innings limit on their best pitcher.

In other words, we don't know, and they very well could end up scrapping any innings limit plans if they decide they need Soroka bad enough of course.  The Dodgers pretty much ended up doing that with Buehler last season.

hard 160 ok

13 hours ago, Trexpenniebaker said:

hard 160 ok

There was a heavy dose of sarcasm in my post.  Just a head's up.

In all seriousness, I'm beginning to think an innings limit for him is just something people made up as an assumption. As far as I know, Atlanta has never actually announced one (correct me if I'm wrong).

1 minute ago, KilloWertz said:

There was a heavy dose of sarcasm in my post.  Just a head's up.

In all seriousness, I'm beginning to think an innings limit for him is just something people made up as an assumption. As far as I know, Atlanta has never actually announced one (correct me if I'm wrong).

I am assuming a innings limit cause he is 21 and All MLB pitchers seem to be on a innings limit.  I pick up on  the sarcasm in your post so no worries there BUT I really do feel a innings limit is on him because he is so young I can see a skip or 2 coming. Its just how pitchers are handled now a days

3 minutes ago, Trexpenniebaker said:

I am assuming a innings limit cause he is 21 and All MLB pitchers seem to be on a innings limit.  I pick up on  the sarcasm in your post so no worries there BUT I really do feel a innings limit is on him because he is so young I can see a skip or 2 coming. Its just how pitchers are handled now a days

I know that it's entirely possible.  It really was just directed to everybody in general, but you would think they would have mentioned something or would very shortly given that we're in August now.  We'll see I suppose.

In 2018 he pitched a grand total of 56 innings, which certainly gives the impression that he would be limited in 2019. That being said, he pitched 150 and 140 in 2017 and 2016, respectively. 

He's at roughly 125 on the season, and I'm sure ATL expects to use him in the playoffs. I have nothing to base this on, but I can't imagine them letting him go much over 150 for the season (playoffs included). I definitely see a few skips upcoming. 

Just my guess/opinion tho. 

1 hour ago, remark900 said:

Rolling him out there today?

Play him every day that ends in Y.

;)

1 hour ago, remark900 said:

Rolling him out there today?

Against the big bad 53-80 Jays? who wouldnt..?

A couple points on innings limits for Soroka-

AA is not a believer in innings limits. The Braves have a podcast and his episode as a guest last year covers that. 

Soroka pitched 153 innings in 2017. Yes, he missed time last year, but he's done that much, and usually once you get around 160, pitchers get unleashed. 

He's starting each playoff series for the Braves. They aren't benching their best pitcher, they are going to ride him.

Edited by Bigfische
  • Like 1

Soroka struck out five and walked none in the 88-pitch outing. One imagines he'll have another relatively short start next week as the Braves try to save those bullets for October.

Looks like Soroka will get one more start at the Royals or Mets.  How "relatively short" do you think Yahoo means?  I'll take another 5 inning win

No fatigue here for him.  Carved up the Cardinals lineup and went 7 on just 90 pitches with 7 Ks.  14 Swinging strikes with a 33% CSW. 

• Like 1