elroypedro

Kenyan Drake 2019 Outlook

2 hours ago, Gohawks said:

I don't expect a guy to get traded on Monday and be heavily involved on Thursday.

🤷‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If Johnson doesn't play they won't have a choice. Either way, I wouldn't be starting him against the Niners

16 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

3 hours ago, Gohawks said:

I don't expect a guy to get traded on Monday and be heavily involved on Thursday.

🤷‍♂️

i'd have to agree, it makes zero sense that a RB just acquired will be able to pick up enough of the offense to be able to play " big role" with barely even one real practice ahead of Thursday's game. he won't know what the hell to do in pass pro against the 2nd best D in the league..... i think this is just uninformed commenting

Edited by boredster

Just now, boredster said:

i think this is just uninformed commenting

That should pretty much be on the Rotoworld letterhead at this point. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, boredster said:

i'd have to agree, it makes zero sense that a RB just acquired will be able to pick up enough of the offense to be able to play " big role" with barely even one real practice ahead of Thursday's game. he won't know what the hell to do in pass pro against the 2nd best D in the league..... i think this is just uninformed commenting

The Cards literally do not really have a healthy RB that is familiar with the system. You think Morris or Zenner are particularly more up to date than Drake due to like 3 days more prep? If Chase and DJ are both out, it's not like there's a guy here that is going to be favored due to the fact he's "familiar with the system." I guess they simply could refuse to run the ball. Basically the entire starting backfield in Thurs game could have been acquired in the past week.

Edited by LongBalls
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, LongBalls said:

The Cards literally do not really have a healthy RB that is familiar with the system. You think Morris or Zenner are particularly more up to date than Drake due to like 3 days more prep? If Chase and DJ are both out, it's not like there's a guy here that is going to be favored due to the fact he's "familiar with the system." I guess they simply could refuse to run the ball.

why bring logic and rationale up in here when it doesn't fit the hoi polloi narrative?

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, LongBalls said:

I guess they simply could refuse to run the ball.

And this is why I may actually make myself start Larry Fitzgerald this week. The Niners are likely going to stuff the entire run game and they may say F it and just throw the ball 50 times.

1 minute ago, kball09 said:

And this is why I may actually make myself start Larry Fitzgerald this week. The Niners are likely going to stuff the entire run game and they may say F it and just throw the ball 50 times.

The good news for Drake is that neither Morris or Zenner pass catch at all. He'll be basically game-flow proof due to the fact he'll be the only pass-catching RB that's active.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, boredster said:

Drake will enable them to lose less badly than they would have.  I have zero doubt the Cards brass doesn't believe they can honestly pull out a win here.  Drake is essentially the sacrificial RB who's a FA at season end anyway and gets trotted out to protect their investment in DJ and Chase Edmonds who are both signed through 2021.  This way the front office can tell their fans "hey look we tried" after they get bombed out by 40 more more points.  

If he gets the touches, he's a great start. But I can't afford for him to have a Ty Johnson type of usage where everyone was penciling him in for touches and he gets usurped in the depth charts.

34 minutes ago, LongBalls said:

The good news for Drake is that neither Morris or Zenner pass catch at all. He'll be basically game-flow proof due to the fact he'll be the only pass-catching RB that's active.

This is the good news but I'm still not liking this situation. If Drake was there for a full week of practice I'd feel much better.  I'd like to be confident that Morris and Zenner aren't going to make this a full RBBC 3-way.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Gohawks said:

Sounds like he knew where he was going Saturday night also when he played at Bama Kiffin ran a spread shotgun style offense. It. Won’t be that tough. With 4 teams on byes. I think he will be involved enough to be a flex option. 

• Like 1

By the way, the free agent window for Drake closed about an hour ago on Yahoo. Prior to it closing, you could have dropped someone on your bench and picked up Drake for free and instantly since Dolphins have yet to play. Now, you gotta wait for waivers since yahoo registered him on the Cardinals, who have already played this week.

Edited by WaiverLooter
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, WaiverLooter said:

By the way, the free agent window for Drake closed about an hour ago on Yahoo. Prior to it closing, you could have dropped someone on your bench and picked up Drake for free and instantly since Dolphins have yet to play. Now, you gotta wait for waivers since yahoo registered him on the Cardinals, who have already played this week.

Some Yahoo Leagues you can still pick up guys who haven’t played this week. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, WaiverLooter said:

username checks out ....

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

🤷‍♂️

So I'm supposed to believe that a reporter I've never heard off who lives in the Minneapolis area has the inside scoop on the "Arizona" Cardinals? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

13 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

So I'm supposed to believe that a reporter I've never heard off who lives in the Minneapolis area has the inside scoop on the "Arizona" Cardinals? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

aysfkm?

vet the guy again, then report back 

TIA

• Like 1

You’d have to be pretty desperate to start Drake this week against SF with 3 days to learn a new offense. Detroit would have been a much better destination for his rest of season value. By the time Drake gets familiar with this offense and finishes the dreadful stretch of run defenses, he’ll be sharing the backfield with Johnson and eventually Edmonds as well. 

Edited by y2jbones
Grammer

Maybe this is why AZ wanted him:

RB KENYAN DRAKE

Prior to his 2019 campaign, Drake rushed for 1,358 yards, 47 first downs and nine touchdowns on 286 carries (2016-18). He ranked tied for fifth in yards per carry (4.9), tied for second in forced missed tackles per carry (0.22) and second in yards after contact per carry (3.4) among backs with 250 or more carries in the three-year span. His rushing grade (80.4) ranked ninth among qualifying backs, as well.

Driving Drake’s success is his ability to win after early contact and force missed tackles, as evidenced by the metrics mentioned above. Among the 54 NFL backs with 100 or more carries where they’ve been contacted at or behind the line of scrimmage from 2016-18, Drake ranked tied for first with Cleveland Browns’ Nick Chubb – yes, Chubb had more than 100 such attempts as a rookie – in yards after contact per attempt (3.7). And the average for the group was just 2.3.

In his best NFL season (2017), Drake earned career-highs in rushing grade (81.3), yards after contact per attempt (4.29) and forced missed tackles (29). He also earned a stunning 96.3 elusive rating on the year, the second-best single-season mark of any running back in the PFF era (2006-18).

Drake totaled 210 offensive snaps with Miami before taking his talents to Arizona. He had 10 or more carries in just two of the games and totaled 174 rushing yards across 47 rushes in six games. He forced 10 missed tackles and averaged 2.49 yards after contact per attempt in said span.

With Chase Edmonds and David Johnson battling injuries, Drake very well could see a significant role in the desert sooner rather than later. And the situation will be a lot better than the one he’s leaving in South Beach.

Running a combination of 10 and 11 personnel on more than 70% of their offensive snaps, the Cardinals’ offense sees the highest percentage of light boxes in the NFL. Drake shouldn’t benefit from lighter boxes and make the most of his opportunities in Arizona.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KennyWoo said:

What is in it for the Cardinals?  Unless they plan to re-sign Drake (seems very unlikely), why are they renting a player?  The team is in last place.  Why not just sign someone off the street?  (This isn't a commentary on Drake at all as a player, this just feels like such a weird move.)

I don't know if there was a cheaper pass catching back on the market. They have been snapped up recently due to injuries etc. Guess you could have targeted a practice squad guy. 

They already picked up two "guys off the street" in Zenner and Morris to run between the tackles. 

It sorta all leads you to conclude that both main Cards RBs are out for an unknown, though probably lengthy, amount of time. 

It looks like they're just trying to actually put together a functional backfield. 

Would it surprise anyone if DJ is headed to IR and Edmonds is out for 4+ weeks? 

Edited by LongBalls
  • Like 1