elroypedro

Kenyan Drake 2019 Outlook

33 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Running a combination of 10 and 11 personnel on more than 70% of their offensive snaps, the Cardinals’ offense sees the highest percentage of light boxes in the NFL. Drake shouldn’t benefit from lighter boxes and make the most of his opportunities in Arizona.

Is this a typo? Feel like the narrative took a turn for the opposite on that last sentence.

Gonna throw it out there -

David Johnson has been in the league now for 5 seasons.  He's 27 

• 1 season that was really above average, and it was an amazing season.  (2016)
  • 1 season that was average (2018)
  • 1 whatever rookie season (2015)
  • 1 lost season (2017)
  • This season he's on pace for 1200 total yards, not great

He's signed for 2 more seasons after this.   He might not have much tread left on those tires.  966 total rushes/receptions in his career

Drake is 25.  He's been barely used.  497 total rushes/receptions in his career.

Arizona has a new QB, so maybe this is an attempt to pass the torch from DJ to Drake.  They could probably get some picks or something decent for DJ in the trade market after this season if Drake is a good fit - and can resign him for a longer term deal.  If this is an audition, then Drake could see some good volume even with DJ back.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Smoketheclay said:

Arizona has a new QB, so maybe this is an attempt to pass the torch from DJ to Drake.  ...

Like going from General MacArthur to Sgt. Bilko.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Smoketheclay said:

• 1 lost season (2017)

He's signed for 2 more seasons after this.   He might not have much tread left on those tires.  966 total rushes/receptions in his career

Drake is 25.  He's been barely used.  497 total rushes/receptions in his career.

Arizona has a new QB, so maybe this is an attempt to pass the torch from DJ to Drake.  They could probably get some picks or something decent for DJ in the trade market after this season if Drake is a good fit - and can resign him for a longer term deal.  If this is an audition, then Drake could see some good volume even with DJ back.

They just resigned DJ last season, and I believe his contract had something like $30 million guaranteed. So I really don’t think they’re trying to phase him out as their franchise RB.

I’ve been reading through these comments regarding theories on why they traded for him despite not being in playoff contention, and I have my own:

The Cardinals have a rookie QB, just hired a young head coach, and pretty much their entire coaching staff has been revamped. The last thing they need is another disaster season (especially after last year and the whole Josh Rosen, Mike McCoy situation). I really don’t think ownership wants the next 9 weeks to be absolute hell for the team, which could potentially shatter the confidence of their rookie QB, and may even cause the fanbase to lose faith in their new HC or his coaching staff.

The way I see it, Drake is a guy on a contract year, whose never really had the opportunity to fully display what he’s capable of with that dumpster fire of a franchise in South Beach. I’m sure Arizona can see that too, so why not pair a young, hard-running RB whose going to be working toward a new contract with your rookie QB/HC who could use all the help they can get at that RB position?

It may be a stretch, but I honestly think this trade was made simply to salvage any value out of Murray and Kingsbury‘s first season together.

I’m not exactly thrilled with the landing spot either, was hoping for Detroit, but honestly anything is better than Miami. If DJ misses extended time I could see Drake being a productive option.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

looks like we got a wild card on our hands. for the next few weeks. hoping he's lead dog by TB game but not sure if DJ will be healthy by then. guess we'll find out tomorrow if he's somehow traded. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Smoketheclay said:

• 1 lost season (2017)

I agree with what you said on DJ aside from saying the 2 year age matters.  I'm also concerned with the injuries this year.  He had a back injury two weeks ago, and then the ankle injury was so bad he lasted a play.  Then, I'm not sure if they confirmed some hammy injury as well or that was over zealous people guessing at injuries.  Whatever it is, I think his injuries are being downplayed.  I don't question his toughness.  If he was a no go after a play because he didn't feel right, I don't see how he is good without a couple weeks off.

After your breakdown of DJ which was critical but pretty on point, you went all sunshine and rainbows with Drake. 

He is 2 years younger! Big woop. By the way, Drake turns 26 in January so he isn't exactly some super young guy either. He is just a year away from being DJ's age right now. 

He has little use wear and tear!  Maybe because he sucks? 

They didn't wait until mid-season to pass the torch to a guy they sent a conditional 6th round pick for and doesn't know 5 plays out of the playbook. That is absurd.

6 hours ago, Smoketheclay said:

With DJ and Edmonds out this week, lets say Drake gets 30 touches.

What is his expected output?

in that offense, not knowing thegameplan very well, against that defense--about 15 yards, total. ;) 

Even before his injury i was planning on sitting Chase Edmunds against the 9ers. That defense is a monster and is going to dominate the Arizona offense. That schedule is just brutal--49ers, then TB (s---y team but very good against the run), then 49ers again. He's pretty much a desperation start for the next 3 weeks and at some point DJ and/or Chase will be healthy at which point he's either the 3rd RB in a 3-headed RBBC monster or he's just on the bench. 

I can see playing him if you're completely desperate this weekend but...that's pretty much the only way I can see playing him. 

I'm not thrilled with his destination. DJ is the top dog here. He's not doing anything v SF next week and then DJ will likely be back for the tasty week 10 at tampa.

Bright side - Drake is finally out of MIA and may actually be useful next yr with a new team. 

If you're an owner I'd hold for the next 2 weeks to see how the Tampa game goes. SF is officially a graveyard for offensive players.

3 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Drake is playing for a contract.

Maybe AZ will re-sign him. DJ contract is up after next year and chase edmonds is JAG

Everyone is playing for a contract, it's the NFL, not the NBA

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, kball09 said:

Everyone is playing for a contract, it's the NFL, not the NBA

Shirley you can't be serious.

LMAO.

Drake's in a contract year. If he wants a decent pay day he has extra incentive to ball out as much as possible. I'm pretty sure everyone on this site knows that all NFL players are under contract.

7 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Shirley you can't be serious.

LMAO.

Drake's in a contract year. If he wants a decent pay day he has extra incentive to ball out as much as possible. I'm pretty sure everyone on this site knows that all NFL players are under contract.

NFL contracts don't mean jack. Once the guaranteed money is gone the NFL can cut players without recourse. So, arguing for a contract year in the NFL makes no sense vs the NBA or MLB, it's lazy shtick people use to hype up players.

21 minutes ago, atdharris said:

Depending on Breida and Conner's availability, I may be forced to start Drake. God help me

Im debating on starting him as well. Not many other options for me. If DJ is out are people gonna play Drake?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mulhollandvelvet said:

Rotoworld is projecting 12 touches. Against the Niners that makes him unplayable. 

Yup, that’s like 35-70 yards

1 hour ago, hard1 said:

12 touches all gold

Yes there will be many gold helmets around him two yards in the backfield.

23 hours ago, Smoketheclay said:

• 1 lost season (2017)

1 whatever rookie season? Sorry you jest. Take it from a Cards fan, Johnson was amazing in his rookie year. There were flashes early (game winning wheel route in week 1 vs Saints followed by opening week two with a kick return td against the Bears) but it took a CJ2k injury to allow Johnson to take off. He was unreal in the Philly game. DJ was a big reason that team made it to nfc championship game. Why do you think Johnson was a consensus first rounder in fantasy in 2016 after a “whatever” rookie season?

Surely you jest.

Edited by jsch08