brockpapersizer

Triston Casas- CI -Red Sox

Fangraphs have him as the red sox number one prospect as a guy who almost has no defensive value. Granted it's not the best system, but still.

This last line in their write up

" Casas’ calling card is his bat and there’s potential for a 60 hit, 70 game power, 80 raw power kind of package. The margin for error for a teenage first base-only types is very small, but we’re very high on Casas’ bat."

Worth watching 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Still a teenager. 

Red Sox 1B/3B prospect Triston Casas went 3-for-4 with a homer on Thursday for Low-A Greenville.

Casas now has six homers on the season, and his OPS goes up to .827 with the three-hit day. The 26th pick of last year's draft, Casas has serious power from the left side, and it's already showing up in games. The hit tool is behind the power, but it should be good enough to let the latter play. There's going to be a lot of swing-and-miss here, and he's very likely destined for first base. The power should allow him to play there, however, and Casas has the potential to be a middle-of-the-order hitter who can help Boston by 2021, with 2022 a more likely ETA.

May 10, 2019, 10:24 AM ET

After a slow start he's looking better.  If he can maintain a strikeout range around 16%, he'd be a monster. 

Yeah, this kid is a monster.  Last year was a lost year with having an injury (thumb?) in his second game and missing out on the rest of his first year of pro ball.  But for this to truly be his first taste of professional baseball, the returns here are remarkable.

• Like 1

In love with Casas. He's been available in my league all season so far and I was hoping I could hold off picking him up but have to do it now before it's too late.  Has Gallo type 80 grade raw power & 80 grade future in-game power. But Gallo hit 40 HRs in his age 19 season (38 in LoA). Cannot compare the 2 yet but Gallo did have an insane 40% SwStr% in LoA. Casas has a very manageable 14% SwStr% as a 19 year old power hitting CI in his 1st full season.

I actually believe Casas will have really good plate discipline as he develops. He's still has trouble with breaking balls but as he gets better reading and hitting them, his walks will go up and Ks will go down. Casas has a chance to be very special. Really excited about him. 

Edited by JakeSarna

I'm buying him and Lavigne.. but Lavigne isn't mashing at Ashevill...

Fangraphs update has him ranked as a FV50 grade prospect. This is pretty significant for a bat first guy. It's the same grade they give Yordan Alvarez, all be it ranked lower (68 to 113)

One of only 4 guys they gave out 80 grade power and has the best hit tool projections of them.

19 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

Fangraphs update has him ranked as a FV50 grade prospect. This is pretty significant for a bat first guy. It's the same grade they give Yordan Alvarez, all be it ranked lower (68 to 113)

One of only 4 guys they gave out 80 grade power and has the best hit tool projections of them.

My comp has been Yordan/Eloy all along. Fangraphs was early on this guy too if you read their blurb on him in the red sox top prospects, they gave high praise and upside.

Just now, rasto21585 said:

Dynasty/keeper league must add before its too late?

ABSOLUTELY.  BA already has him in their top 100 and he'd be a lot higher if that was a fantasy list.  If 100 prospects are owned in your league, he's a must own for me unless you're stacked.

2 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

My comp has been Yordan/Eloy all along. Fangraphs was early on this guy too if you read their blurb on him in the red sox top prospects, they gave high praise and upside.

ABSOLUTELY.  BA already has him in their top 100 and he'd be a lot higher if that was a fantasy list.  If 100 prospects are owned in your league, he's a must own for me unless you're stacked.

I have 2 na spots in my yahoo league available for prospects. Casas is available along with the following. How would you rank these prospects? Casas, kristian robinson, xavier edwards, julio rodriguez, Seth beer to name a few.

6 minutes ago, rasto21585 said:

I have 2 na spots in my yahoo league available for prospects. Casas is available along with the following. How would you rank these prospects? Casas, kristian robinson, xavier edwards, julio rodriguez, Seth beer to name a few.

These questions are always tough because so much depends on the context of your league and prospects are a crap shoot anyway. These guys are all similarly tiered enough.  Beer is the closest to the majors, but I don't think his upside is tremendous and he's lacking the most on defense. Edwards is a steals play.  I don't really have a problem with anyone taking a stand here on any of the guys.  I think Julio is probably #1 for me. Casas #2, but he's pretty close with Edwards and Robinson.  

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Time to check in on my boy 

👀

Sounds good.  Casas is not only the Red Sox's top prospect and a top tier player.  He is their ONLY only top tier prospect.

On 1/16/2020 at 9:50 PM, brockpapersizer said:

Time to check in on my boy 

👀

Are we looking at a bigger version of Pete Alonso and Yordan with better plate discipline?

I wish my dynasty draft was today so there wouldn't be as much info out about him...lol. May have to take him at 5th overall.  

4 hours ago, 24/7fantasysports said:

Are we looking at a bigger version of Pete Alonso and Yordan with better plate discipline?

I wish my dynasty draft was today so there wouldn't be as much info out about him...lol. May have to take him at 5th overall.  

He was drafted last year in all my Yahoo leagues.  Good luck if he is still around on your platform and league.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, 24/7fantasysports said:

A little better hit tool, a little less power . Keep in mind there’s a significant chance that we have already seen Alonso’s best year . Think he’s closer to 255-266 home run hitter . I think (talking out of my butt) that were looking more at 270-280 for Casas , maybe 35 Bombs

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

He was drafted last year in all my Yahoo leagues.  Good luck if he is still around on your platform and league.

Thanks. Fortunately he is still available in my platform. Were starting the 4th year of a 14 team dynasty league and have been ramping up the number of prospect slots each year. Last year it was only 8 slots and this year it increased to 12 so there are some players who should have been owned last year still available (i.e. Casas, Dylan Carlson, Daniel Espino, The Martian, Jeter Downs, etc.).

On 1/19/2020 at 7:40 AM, Gobux1970 said:

His role model is a first baseman.

“I emulate Joey Votto as much as I can,” said Casas, who swings from the left side. “He’s my favorite player. I actually choke up on the bat from the first pitch. Every at bat. And with two strikes I’m 4-5 inches up the bat. If you’ve never seen me play, there are pictures with me way up the pine tar.”

• Like 2

On 9/7/2020 at 9:04 AM, brockpapersizer said:

Top 25 fantasy prospect for me 

What’s your updated ETA on him Brock?

52 minutes ago, UberRebel said:

What’s your updated ETA on him Brock?

Feels like next year to me. Ideally right after the first month, which is what I'd do. I could see them taking their time if they aren't in the race, but it's one month in. Really no point in waiting much longer unless you wait a while year to me. I'll guess May/June 2021. Me thinks he's a hard worker and is borderline ready right now. Might struggle on first call up, but I think he's ready for a challenge pretty soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1