KilloWertz

Trevor Bauer 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

Message added by tonycpsu

I assume an IL stint is forthcoming?

7 minutes ago, bigbluecrew56 said:

Whitesox offense has been dangerous this year. Throw this start out and move along. 

Agreed.  All the aces have a clunker at some point. He will be pissed off next time around.

19 minutes ago, bigbluecrew56 said:

Whitesox offense has been dangerous this year. Throw this start out and move along. 

They've been feast or famine. Feasting tonight!

6 minutes ago, mehtavg2000 said:

Agreed.  All the aces have a clunker at some point. He will be pissed off next time around.

I had to endure Gerrit Cole's thrashing against the Rangers this year. Bauer much like Cole have proven track records and deserve there mulligans. 

9 minutes ago, mehtavg2000 said:

Because he didn't have a reason to be pissed about that clunker v Miami last time out? Stop it with this crap

Edited by Junkie Cosmonaut

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that handling one's emotions might not be the strong suit of a guy that goes on a multi-day twitter war with a college girl that he's never met. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

Because he didn't have a reason to be pissed about that clunker v Miami last time out? Stop it with this crap

7 innings, 4 runs, 10 Ks and a win is now considered a "clunker"?  Tough crowd.  

1 minute ago, mehtavg2000 said:

7 innings, 4 runs, 10 Ks and a win is now considered a "clunker"?  Tough crowd.  

Really depends on the competition. Against the Marlins? Yes. A clunker. Especially when you take into account that there were 4 BBs in that outing. 

3 minutes ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

Really depends on the competition. Against the Marlins? Yes. A clunker. Especially when you take into account that there were 4 BBs in that outing. 

Yup and only 4 hits.  Look he hasn't been great the past 2 outings but I'm far from ready to jump off the ledge.  The Ks are very encouraging and a good sign that he still has dominance potential in him.  I know I'll be getting tons of lowball offers for him [...] 

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

No.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Whom said:

I assume an IL stint is forthcoming?

No.  He pitched like crap.  It happens unfortunately, even to aces.  Obviously it would have been nice if the really bad games by some of these pitchers weren't lumped into one incredibly horrible one, but I guess it is what it is.

Basically, he went into the start trying to throw more strikes early in counts to try to cut back on the walks.  They said that on their broadcast.  Obviously that didn't work since their hitters were swinging at the first pitch almost all the time.

Anything but holding is an overreaction.  I know plenty of people held Snell even though his last two starts were both debacles.  There's no reason Bauer doesn't deserve the same treatment.  He was one of the top SPs before tonight's debacle.

• Like 1

Just now, !!! said:

No.

Its an average start by a supposed top 5 pitcher in the game against not only the worst offensive team in baseball, but one that's on pace to be the worst offensive team in baseball this decade, by almost a 1/2 a run per game.  

He's allowed average games, but when they come against a crap lineup like that, combined with his supposed status, its a clunker. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

Its an average start by a supposed top 5 pitcher in the game against not only the worst offensive team in baseball, but one that's on pace to be the worst offensive team in baseball this decade, by almost a 1/2 a run per game.  

He's allowed average games, but when they come against a crap lineup like that, combined with his supposed status, its a clunker. 

Other aces have average or even bad games against awful offensives.  It happens.  Max Scherzer got destroyed by Miami earlier this season (11 hits and 6 ER in 5.1 innings).  He's arguably been the best SP in baseball for years.  Making this much out of Bauer's start is a bit overkill.

Bauer has had an average game against an awful offense, and now a debacle against a decent one.  Still not concerned.

Edited by KilloWertz

Well, that sell high window closed quickly.

I’m not sure why we’re still comparing a guy who has never thrown 200 innings in his career to Max Scherzer (LOL). But as disastrous as this was, he still went for 7 Ks and just one BB over 5 IP and 88 pitches. He did also bean a guy and give up 2 HRs. But there was some good among all the bad.

I just thought those ungodly numbers two starts ago might have gotten someone to bite. Back then it didn’t make sense not to at least try for someone big in a trade. 

• Like 1

He's been really bad lately.  I thought he was an ace but he's not even close.  Hope he can turn it around.

his last three starts.....two of them he has given up 7 earned runs. it stinks but he is still a top 15 SP.

3 minutes ago, mlb2019 said:

his last three starts.....two of them he has given up 7 earned runs. it stinks but he is still a top 15 SP.

He's given up 4 or more walks in 4 of his 10 starts.  The entire last year, he gave up 4 or more walks only 3 times.  That's been the most alarming thing for me.  

His command has been atrocious all season but he was managing to get by with it and still put up decent #s. Seems that's begun to turn around. Eno mentioned that in Command+ he ranks near the bottom (bottom 10 in all of baseball, IIRC), and if you've been watching him try to spot his curve/slider this season, that's really not a surprise. 

The refusal to stop throwing his curveball when he clearly had little command of it was ultimately the undoing tonight.  He threw well over 20 of them and he had no idea where most of them were going outside of a few rare nice ones.  An absolutely embarrassing start against the worst team in all of baseball.  No need to sugarcoat it at all.  All he had to be was even decent.  He rarely gets good run support, but he finally did tonight and that's what he did with it.  He had the other awful start, but this was even more disappointing as it was against an even worse team and the Orioles' pitching tried to hand him a win, but for whatever reason it seemed like he didn't want it.

With his stuff, you don't accidentally pitch as good as he did last season, which is why I'm going to still happily stick with him.  Up next is Oakland again...

• Like 1

He was so perfect to start the year it was down right robotic. And then...

200.webp?cid=790b76115cde26ab33466931672

Hopefully this is just a blip. His control issues are concerning. Maybe his mechanics are slightly off???