Iron-cock

Todd Gurley 2019 Outlook

If you're on the Malcolm Brown train just know that he missed 9 games over the past two years due to injuries (3 separate injuries) as a BACKUP. Make sure to grab his handcuff.

Edited by genya
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Added Darrell Henderson for tonight in case Gurley pops his knee. If you can, you should too.

Carry on...

28 minutes ago, RyanK said:

Added Darrell Henderson for tonight in case Gurley pops his knee. If you can, you should too.

Carry on...

Henderson has one touch in 4 weeks and would most likely be elevated to Browns current role if Gurley were injured. I understand it's a low risk move if you are in a league like Yahoo where you can add tonight and drop after the game if there is no injury (I love this strategy and will sometimes stream free agent handcuffs throughout Sunday if I have an extra bench slot), but even in the best case I don't think there will be a lot of value here. If you are trying to do the streaming handcuff strategy I think there's an argument to be made that you are better off snapping up Mattison if he's still there so you don't run the risk that someone sees you pick up Henderson and tries to employ the same strategy. 

45 minutes ago, RyanK said:

Carry on...

No thanks.

• Haha 2

On 9/26/2019 at 8:41 AM, SadFaceHappy said:

McVay has to figure out how to adjust the run scheme.  Outside zone was their bread and butter, but teams wised up (thanks, Belichick...) and are taking it away.  Their line is weak in the middle and has to get better

Everyone in fantasy hasn't picked up on this story, but the Rams fans seem to get it.  Well, it was actually Matt Patricia that started doing it to the Rams...but teams are selling out to stop the outside zone run (playing 6 guys on the LOS at times) and playing zone behind it.  It didn't totally work for the Lions, but Chicago built on it the week after, and they won.  Then all of the teams starting doing to this to the Rams (at least in running situations).  The Rams have tried to adjust in multiple ways, but basically teams are taking them out of the Outside zone/Play action into "levels" routes and forcing the Rams to do other stuff on offense.

Watch how many times Gurley faces 6 guys on the LOS when Goff is under center tonight...

Edit: Also the OL was downgraded in the offseason. 

Edited by Iron-cock
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

Everyone in fantasy hasn't picked up on this story, but the Rams fans seem to get it.  Well, it was actually Matt Patricia that started doing it to the Rams...but teams are selling out to stop the outside zone run (playing 6 guys on the LOS at times) and playing zone behind it.  It didn't totally work for the Lions, but Chicago built on it the week after, and they won.  Then all of the teams starting doing to this to the Rams (at least in running situations).  The Rams have tried to adjust in multiple ways, but basically teams are taking them out of the Outside zone/Play action into "levels" routes and forcing the Rams to do other stuff on offense.

Watch how many times Gurley faces 6 guys on the LOS when Goff is under center tonight...

Edit: Also the OL was downgraded in the offseason. 

Thats some solid analysis.

3 minutes ago, NBatum88 said:

Is he 2016 LeGarette Blount at this point?

I hope so. Otherwise he’s looking at 80ish average yards a game with not many catches lol. 

Real talk anyone have a snap count? I could be totally wrong but if I had to guess this must’ve been his highest of the season. Felt like he was out there 84% of the time. 

The only good news for TG owners is that the Rams arent going to run away with the division this season and cant afford to rest Gurley at all.

2 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

Real talk anyone have a snap count? I could be totally wrong but if I had to guess this must’ve been his highest of the season. Felt like he was out there 84% of the time. 

By far the most he's played in a game compared to brown. I think things are looking up for him ROS as long as they commit to the run a little more. I was shaking my head on the 2nd to last of LAR's possessions before Goff got picked.... it was like 5 straight passes with two time outs and 2:30ish time left?

1 minute ago, trolltoll said:

By far the most he's played in a game compared to brown. I think things are looking up for him ROS as long as they commit to the run a little more. I was shaking my head on the 2nd to last of LAR's possessions before Goff got picked.... it was like 5 straight passes with two time outs and 2:30ish time left?

I felt like most of the second half they got away from the run. Weird

3 minutes ago, Evincar said:

The only good news for TG owners is that the Rams arent going to run away with the division this season and cant afford to rest Gurley at all.

How is that the only good news? He had 20 touches tonight. He'll be fine as long as you don't expect 2017/18 Todd Gurley

11 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

He played every snap except for a few plays on the second or third drive. 90% snap share at worst.

Edited by MJJ28

13 minutes ago, NBatum88 said:

Is he 2016 LeGarette Blount at this point?

Yeah, because teams were putting 6 men on the LOS to stop Blount and make Brady beat them. He isn’t done or washed up teams have just figured out McVay and he’s “struggling”.

FWIW Sean did make a slight adjustment and I’ll have to wait for the personnel snap counts but he opened up the game with 2 TE to counter the 6 on the LOS and it worked well to start the game.

He's playing just fine for his mid second round ADP price tag...

But if you took him early in the first...

200.gif

Not much to debate.  He’s putting up the type of numbers we expected.  Not an rb 1 but there’s still a lot of equity in this offense.  

Here are my observations as to why Gurley does not look right this year. I am pleased with his points up to this point, but there are some criticisms, both his fault and the team.

1- Gurley is hesitant on runs on where he does not have a clear immediate running lane from his line. On his 12 yard run to the left and his first TD run, he showed the burst from last year. He saw the lane was there and ran through it with power. On most his other runs, he has a defender in his face and he is taking some stutter steps which leads to getting hit quickly and not gaining yardage.

2- Passing game usage is so very different from last year and this part I don’t put the blame on him. This is purely game script because that line is getting pushed back into Goff every single play. You can see the communication before the snap of where he needs to pick up the blitzes. We are used to see him running more routes, more specifically, screen plays. He has taken so many of these for chunk gains, where he simply hasn’t had that once this year. The reason for that, is they don’t trust the line to hold for that split moment to set up the play. 

The line one is playing very poorly and is a major factor is in drop in yards from scrimmage. I believe he is a hold and look forward to better days ahead. Just some observations that helped write the narrative in my eyes.

12 personnel and running more inside seemed to be more effective for this offense countering the looks the Seahawks were giving them and the run blocking limitations.  Helps that the tight ends are getting those big catches.  Of course it sucks for them having to take one of those wideouts off the field.

Seems to me like the major issue the past couple games is that the defense can't stop anybody...

9 hours ago, Ryansm11 said:

84%?  Haha. That’s a pretty precise “felt like” 

9 hours ago, sSektor said:

2x2jm9.jpg

People who didn't draft Gurley still trying to convince everyone he's a JAG

I thought he was a RAM?

51 yards,2 TDs 15 att,around 17 points in many leagues and he is not RB1?,keeping selling him high while this beast keep giving me wins

• Haha 1