crotchcrickets

Zack Wheeler 2019 Outlook

Already regret keeping this guy. Great start to the season. 

Still early.  He started off poorly last year and was garbage in May ...then put up a sub 2.00 ERA in the second half.

Why he can't be a little more consistent is a mystery.  Going to have to bench him for now and see what happens.

The second half of his blow up / the manager letting it happen was inexplicable. He should’ve finished the night having retired 8-9 in a row and then giving up a walk. Keeping him in after one walk was weird. After two was crazy. After THREE and allowing him to walk in a run is absolutely bonkers. As if Wheeler has a 100 Pitch MINIMUM. Especially in a game where a guy factually does not have it and you were lucky to recover the way you had. Bad game but should not have had the second implosion. That was piss poor managing 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, taobball said:

The second half of his blow up / the manager letting it happen was inexplicable. He should’ve finished the night having retired 8-9 in a row and then giving up a walk. Keeping him in after one walk was weird. After two was crazy. After THREE and allowing him to walk in a run is absolutely bonkers. As if Wheeler has a 100 Pitch MINIMUM. Especially in a game where a guy factually does not have it and you were lucky to recover the way you had. Bad game but should not have had the second implosion. That was piss poor managing 

You’re acting like this is a surprise, though 

14 hours ago, Chaco Chicken said:

1250993086_MetsNatszone.jpg.3a2573b6637ba436b83face48db5597c.jpg

Really got to love these calls.

Keep in mind these aren't always accurate

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, scottishguy said:

I am selling! Not saying he is going to be bad but not near the $ I paid. I can get 80% on his value so I am checking out

I did just his yesterday morning. I think last years second half had people over valuing Wheeler. He is a nice #3-4 starter with a few hot streaks in him, nothing more, nothing less, a solid $10 SP

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

2 games vs the same good lineup and already jumping off? yeesh

For reference i bought low and would recommend the same, think hes a high end SP3 for a fantasy staff this season

• Like 1

Way too early to jump ship and say he's nothing more than a 3-4 starter. He has 4 seasons in the bigs and 3 of those 4 he was a mid to low 3 ERA pitcher over a 465IP span. The only bad year he has had is when he came back from TJ and had a homer problem over 86IP. His velocity is up compared to last year, but for whatever reason he had 0 control in his last start. Don't think he will continue to walk 7 batters over 4-5IP after posting a 2.7 BB/9 over 180IP last year. His GB rate is up quite a bit so far which is always a plus, but his babip is high and his strand rate is way low. Eventually those will level out.

If you can buy low I would. If you have no faith in him and can still get solid return value then sure, but I am pretty confident he will bounce back and be fine. He had a few clunkers in april and may last year and then got on a roll, so it may take him a bit to get command of his stuff seeing as he's only a seson and a half removed from TJ and regaining command is the main problem pitchers face after TJ.

Edited by KrunK
  • Like 1

His strand rate lob% is 42.2%.   This is a stat that will normalize back to mean which is closer to high 70s.   His velo is up throwing 97mph and his gb% healthy 55% .   Bought low.  

• Like 3

The overreaction from supposedly veteran fantasy players is hilarious. It's been 2 starts. Even Degrom got spanked the other day.

If you think he's a loser, punt then. LOL.

• Like 1

his stuff is absolute filth. was hitting 101 today without any effort in his delivery. 

His command is a little off (and he was getting squeezed today). I think he's a slight mechanical tweak from being the guy we saw last year in the second half. 

buy low if you can!

• Like 1

A fastball is pretty much every pitcher’s most important pitch. His is one of the best in terms of velocity and movement. There’s a reason why he was one of the most highly regarded prospects

40 minutes ago, NoHablaIngles said:

his stuff is absolute filth. was hitting 101 today without any effort in his delivery. 

His command is a little off (and he was getting squeezed today). I think he's a slight mechanical tweak from being the guy we saw last year in the second half. 

buy low if you can!

Yeah, he'll be fine.  

The other thing is that he's had really tough matchups.  His first two starts were against Washington and they're 3rd in runs per game.  Atlanta is 9th.  

Granted, Wheeler is going to have a hard schedule all year long pitching in the NL East (arguably three Top 10 offenses (+ one clown team)), but his first 3 starts probably aren't representative of his ROS schedule.  

4 hours ago, UberRebel said:

A fastball is pretty much every pitcher’s most important pitch. His is one of the best in terms of velocity and movement. There’s a reason why he was one of the most highly regarded prospects

needs more rise on his fastball imo

i only saw a couple innings tonight (good outing in the box score) but he wasnt locating for s--- and was scared of freeman.

6 hours ago, crotchcrickets said:

i only saw a couple innings tonight (good outing in the box score) but he wasnt locating for s--- and was scared of freeman.

When Zack's mechanics are good,  he can be dominant.   He seems to be still rounding into form.  Hopefully this is the beginning of a run of good games.

Freddie Freeman absolutely rakes against Wheeler with a .556 BA and 667 .OBP before the game last night.  He should be very careful with him.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, crotchcrickets said:

His fastball is pretty deadly when he's spotting it. I think it comes down to fastball command for him. He has a wide array of secondary stuff, but really, the 4-seamer is his big weapon

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Brooklyn Dude said:

When Zack's mechanics are good,  he can be dominant.   He seems to be still rounding into form.  Hopefully this is the beginning of a run of good games.

Freddie Freeman absolutely rakes against Wheeler with a .556 BA and 667 .OBP before the game last night.  He should be very careful with him.

yea no doubt--im ok with him pitching around freeman...it was moreso the fact he gave up a hit to donaldson after getting ahead in the count then, i believe, walking acuna on 4 pitches.

all in in encouraging outing though.  fastball hit 100 at times too

• Like 1