urban2014

Cooper Kupp 2019 Outlook

14 minutes ago, vthokie3 said:

switched from 3 WR sets to 2 TE sets. Reynolds seeing more snaps in 2 WR sets to block. Higbee getting the work Kupp used to get

That was only vs SEA. This week I saw the typical 3 WR sets a lot more.

Kupp is being discriminated against for some reason right now.

He is fine, and still a NO 1 type WR, Just look at the garbage time stats, went for 0 to 16 points in less than a quarter according to Yahoo scoring,  HE caught ALL 6 of his passes and got a TD in the last minutes of the game.

But they refused to use him early.

I do not know why they are doing what they are doing.   It is speculative at this point.

16 minutes ago, newyork2la said:

Nah man. Seeing the same thing. 

There was a 3rd or 4th and short when the game was still somewhat winnable where Cupp ran a quick out to Goff’s left. Was wide open in the flat. Goff took the snap and immediately locked into his first read and threw a terrible pass. If he had even glanced left would have been an easy first down pickup. 

Part of the problem is Goff has major happy feet and I’m pretty sure decides pre snap where he wants to go. You would think after their success last year and the first half of this year together Cupp would be one of his first looks. For whatever reason he isn’t and Kupp is suffering along with the Rams offense. Their offense has no flow to it whatsoever. 

YEP I saw the same exact play !!!!  It seemed like whatever side of the field Kupp was on Goff wasn't even looking that way.  

• Like 2

Over his last 24 healthy games. 

134 catches. Almost 2000 yards. 16 TDs. 

You're going to bench this guy because Tyler Higbee has a growing role. Are you guys serious? This thread is epitome of knee-jerk fantasy overreaction. 

10 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

You're going to bench this guy because Tyler Higbee has a growing role. Are you guys serious? This thread is epitome of knee-jerk fantasy overreaction. 

The issue is that all his production came from garbage time when the defense basically gave up. Next week rams plays the 49ers... i doubt they will let goff air it out in the second half of the fourth quarter even if they are up multiple tds.... they got embarassed yesterday against the falcolns and my guess is will bring the heat against a beatable goff/rams

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jpark211 said:

The issue is that all his production came from garbage time when the defense basically gave up. Next week rams plays the 49ers... i doubt they will let goff air it out in the second half of the fourth quarter even if they are up multiple tds.... they got embarassed yesterday against the falcolns and my guess is will bring the heat against a beatable goff/rams

And the only reason that drive was even possible was because the Rams defense gave up that big TD run to Pollard. Dallas was just running out the clock at that point.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Over his last 6 healthy games...

33 targets, 25 rec, 239 yards, 3 TDs

Projected over 16 games...

88 targets, 67 receptions, 637 yards, 8 TDs

You can ignore the recent trends all you want but seems doing so seems kind of obtuse to me.

Edited by yanksman
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, yanksman said:

Over his last 6 healthy games...

33 targets, 25 rec, 239 yards, 3 TDs

Projected over 16 games...

88 targets, 67 receptions, 637 yards, 8 TDs

You can ignore the recent trends all you want but seems doing so seems kind of obtuse to me.

Are those numbers supposed to be bad? I'm confused. 

There was also a play early in the game may have been the first possession where CK was behind the D and Goff badly overthrew him. had he not miss fired it most certainly would've been a huge gain if not TD. 

2 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

no that's the point is that his #'s are still very serviceable even though it seems as if he hasn't fit in the offensive scheme. We also have to take in consideration the Higbee emergence has also influenced the slight drop off in production.

13 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

You think 637 yards receiving over the course of a full season is good?

That's 9 PPG in 0.5 PPR.

That's Deebo Samuel/Robby Anderson territory

Edited by yanksman

2 minutes ago, yanksman said:

You think 637 yards receiving over the course of a full season is good?

That's 9 PPG in 0.5 PPR.

That's Deebo Samuel/Robby Anderson territory

Ignoring the fact that Kupp will never put up 637 yards over 16 games. Can we talk about how your tiny, arbitrary sample includes a completely anomalous donut game.

Over the last 5 most recent games, where Kupp is supposedly falling off of a cliff. He's still averaging 5 for 50, with TDs in more than half the games. He'll be fine. Guarantee he gets drafted as a back end WR2 next year, before putting up elite WR1 numbers again. This dude will just never get respect from the fantasy community, and I'm happy to keep taking advantage of it. 

1 minute ago, ajs723 said:

Ignoring the fact that Kupp will never put up 637 yards over 16 games. Can we talk about how your tiny, arbitrary sample includes a completely anomalous donut game.

Over the last 5 most recent games, where Kupp is supposedly falling off of a cliff. He's still averaging 5 for 50, with TDs in more than half the games. He'll be fine. Guarantee he gets drafted as a back end WR2 next year, before putting up elite WR1 numbers again. This dude will just never get respect from the fantasy community, and I'm happy to keep taking advantage of it. 

By all means, start him this week bro. Im not stopping you.

Fantasy football is all about making week to week decisions based on a number of factors... a player's history, recent experience, health, matchups, team performance, etc. All those factors need to be taken into account. Its then up to the individual how they use those factors. It seems you are only focusing on his talent (which is very good) and his history (also very good) while completely ignoring recent history, next week's matchup, and his team's performance.

Like I said, by all means you do you. You seem convinced he's a great play next week. I will be looking at other options.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, yanksman said:

By all means, start him this week bro. Im not stopping you.

Fantasy football is all about making week to week decisions based on a number of factors... a player's history, recent experience, health, matchups, team performance, etc. All those factors need to be taken into account. Its then up to the individual how they use those factors. It seems you are only focusing on his talent (which is very good) and his history (also very good) while completely ignoring recent history, next week's matchup, and his team's performance.

Like I said, by all means you do you. You seem convinced he's a great play next week. I will be looking at other options.

It's just a microcosm for the disrespect to Kupp from the fantasy community. This is not someone you should ever be considering benching. If Hopkins had a couple mediocre games, and had a tough matchup, you wouldn't bench him. Same for Julio. Mike Evans, etc. Kupp is a stud. 

People overreact in fantasy, I get that. But this is taking it to another level. 

Maybe Kupp has a pedestrian game this weekend, but that doesn't mean benching him for someone like Perriman was the right move. 

Edited by ajs723

6 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

It's just a microcosm for the disrespect to Kupp from the fantasy community. This is not someone you should ever be considering benching. If Hopkins had a couple mediocre games, and had a tough matchup, you wouldn't bench him. Same for Julio. Mike Evans, etc. Kupp is a stud. 

People overreact in fantasy, I get that. But this is taking it to another level. 

Maybe Kupp has a pedestrian game this weekend, but that doesn't mean benching him for someone like Perriman was the right move. 

I don't think anyone is really disrespecting him. Dude is a stud. If anything everyone is disrespecting both Goff and McVay (both warranted IMO).

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, yanksman said:

I don't think anyone is really disrespecting him. Dude is a stud. If anything everyone is disrespecting both Goff and McVay (both warranted IMO).

I get that, but you don't bench studs because of bad QBs/coaches. Otherwise ARob would have been riding the bench all year. 

7 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

I get that, but you don't bench studs because of bad QBs/coaches. Otherwise ARob would have been riding the bench all year. 

Right move would've been to bench Saquon all year until this past week. Of course you can bench studs. 

Odell Beckham is bench able due to QB and coaching. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, yanksman said:

Right move would've been to bench Saquon all year until this past week. Of course you can bench studs. 

Odell Beckham is bench able due to QB and coaching. 

You're wrong about Barkley. He's an RB1 in every format in terms of points per game. The only games he shouldn't have started were the games he missed due to injury. 

Odell has been a pedestrian WR2 this year, so it's possible some people should have been benching him. I'm also convinced he's been significantly injured for most of the year, as Landry has been great. 

[...]

I'd be much more willing to lose with Kupp out there as opposed to benching him for some WW hero who then drops a dud with Kupp going off on my bench. 

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

3 hours ago, ajs723 said:

The difference is that Hopkins, Julio, Evans, etc. would never be 5th on their team in targets when their QB threw 51 passes.

You want to throw out the 0 catch game, but that was their first one out of the bye, and the beginning of the recent trend which has seen a lot of targets shift from Kupp to Woods and the TEs especially.  

If he had Drew Brees or vintage Aaron Rodgers spreading the ball around to everyone effectively like they often used to, it would be one thing. However, he has a QB who has continuously proven that he can’t perform against good defenses (including the team they play next week on the road).

People have reason to be worried. He’s been a great fantasy asset, but you’re acting like nothing has changed from his early season boom.

38 minutes ago, SkinsChargersFan said:

The difference is that Hopkins, Julio, Evans, etc. would never be 5th on their team in targets when their QB threw 51 passes.

You want to throw out the 0 catch game, but that was their first one out of the bye, and the beginning of the recent trend which has seen a lot of targets shift from Kupp to Woods and the TEs especially.  

If he had Drew Brees or vintage Aaron Rodgers spreading the ball around to everyone effectively like they often used to, it would be one thing. However, he has a QB who has continuously proven that he can’t perform against good defenses (including the team they play next week on the road).

People have reason to be worried. He’s been a great fantasy asset, but you’re acting like nothing has changed from his early season boom.

"Early Season Boom" is a weird way to describe 30 games. That's how long the boom lasted. 

Anyway, I get that they're using the TE more, and the offense is sputtering. My point is that it's not smart to overreact to a couple of bad games. The Rams could just as easily have a breakout offensive game as they could put up another dud. We constantly see teams like this that look night and day week to week. Not to mention that Kupp can clearly benefit from garbage time if they do get blown out again. 

42 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

"Early Season Boom" is a weird way to describe 30 games. That's how long the boom lasted. 

Anyway, I get that they're using the TE more, and the offense is sputtering. My point is that it's not smart to overreact to a couple of bad games. The Rams could just as easily have a breakout offensive game as they could put up another dud. We constantly see teams like this that look night and day week to week. Not to mention that Kupp can clearly benefit from garbage time if they do get blown out again. 

Why are you so hellbent on defending Kupp? We all know he's a stud, and his career production is incredible. Last 6 games...no more than 6 targets, no more than 65 yards...I don't know what the target share is, but I guarantee it's low. Beyond that, there's clear reasons why he's being used less, so it's not just a statistical anomaly. 6 games is a reasonabel sample size.

I've been using him every game but there's a good chance in my week 16 game, I won't be. I understand what you're saying about not sitting him for a guy like Perriman, but at the same time if you had the gall to do that last week, that could have been the difference between a win and a loss. Elite air yard opportunity and a gun-slinging QB is on Perriman's side. Kupp has neither. 

I'll probably roll Kupp back out there above guys like a Perriman, but it's reasonable to be frustrated about his limited opportunity and involvement. It's also reasonable to point to his remarkable career track record and say he's an auto-start, but I disagree with that conclusion.

• Like 2

Also, snap share was back to 92%, so safe to say that last game was an anomaly, as expected.

I’m in the not starting boat because the last couple of games isn’t a fluke, it’s by design. People were begging McVay to change up his offense which was exposed by bringing 6 guys to the line earlier in the year. He’s now changed it up and Kupp is looking like a blocker more than a WR.