ThreadKiller

Luke Weaver 2019 Outlook

3 minutes ago, SpartyOn4 said:

He’s started throwing again

No timetable but best case is probably mid-August. We all know the worst case with a UCL injury.

Pretty much everybody has had a setback so far this season, but at least it's something.  It'd be great if he'd be the one not to have one, but we'll see I guess.

13 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Might be time to stash. Could be back early August

Link?  He hasnt gone out on assignment yet and last i saw he was just starting a throwing program.  I would think Mid/Late august probably seems more realistic, but i could have missed something?

Just now, herschel said:

Link?  He hasnt gone out on assignment yet and last i saw he was just starting a throwing program.  I would think Mid/Late august probably seems more realistic, but i could have missed something?

Having follow-up MRI
July 17, 2019
Weaver (elbow) will undergo another MRI next week to assess his recovery, Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports.
ANALYSIS
Weaver has started throwing and is playing catch out to 75 feet. Next week's MRI should give a clearer indication of his potential return to the rotation. The right-hander landed on the injured list in late May and will likely need at least two rehab starts.
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Having follow-up MRI
July 17, 2019
Weaver (elbow) will undergo another MRI next week to assess his recovery, Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports.
ANALYSIS
Weaver has started throwing and is playing catch out to 75 feet. Next week's MRI should give a clearer indication of his potential return to the rotation. The right-hander landed on the injured list in late May and will likely need at least two rehab starts.

yeah this is what i saw as well.  dont see anything about early august?  i guess it just depends on his mri....

25 minutes ago, herschel said:

yeah this is what i saw as well.  dont see anything about early august?  i guess it just depends on his mri....

The fact a rehab assignment is within sight is the thought behind early August. Fingers crossed for the MRI

Really sucks he got hurt, he was really pitching great. I worry the Dbacks may just shut him down and get him ready for 2020, especially if they fade out. 

From the moment he gets cleared he's likely to be about 4 weeks away (give or take) from returning.  He has a lot of hurdles ahead of him.  They will 100% baby him too.  Like some have suggested, it wouldn't surprise me if they shut him down and focus on 2020.  Personally I think it makes sense to see if his elbow is ok this season.  If it isn't then  they an TJ it and have him for 2021. If they kick the can and it ends up that next spring he's not healthy, then they're looking at mid 2021 for Weaver.   My guess is we could see him around late August or early September. .

4 hours ago, dicka24 said:

From the moment he gets cleared he's likely to be about 4 weeks away (give or take) from returning.  He has a lot of hurdles ahead of him.  They will 100% baby him too.  Like some have suggested, it wouldn't surprise me if they shut him down and focus on 2020.  Personally I think it makes sense to see if his elbow is ok this season.  If it isn't then  they an TJ it and have him for 2021. If they kick the can and it ends up that next spring he's not healthy, then they're looking at mid 2021 for Weaver.   My guess is we could see him around late August or early September. .

I think TJ has been avoided. What Weaver has done is not uncommon. He had multiple doctors suggest rest and rehab would be all he needs. The great thing he did do in that start is he took himself out the very moment he felt a little something. Perhaps if he tries to push through he does more damage and he is laid up on TJS operating table. Hard to say, I am not a doctor, but seeing the improvement in the last MRI and now he's on a throwing program is awesome and tells me he's on his way back. 

Many people though the Backs got raped on the Goldy deal, but it honestly is looking like a tremendous trade for the D-Backs. Kelly is a legit catcher and appears to have a better than average hit tool, especially for the position. And while the dreams of Weaver being a top of the rotation ace may have been an oversell, it's very clear he is a legit 2/3 starter. For an aging 1st basemen who no longer racks up the steals that he used to get? Not bad.  

I know I am one who stated they may shut him down, but I don't think that. I bet if he is cleared and handles rehab he will get some MLB starts. I do think they probably will take it easy with him and could shut him down a week or two early, but I bet they want to see him take the mound this year. 

They will almost certainly baby him when he returns, but like a couple of others have already said, it actually makes sense for them to at least give him a handful of starts before they may decide to shut him down to make sure everything is all good.  Throwing on the side only goes so far.  Pitching in a game is a much better indication of where he is at physically (when the time comes).

10 hours ago, kwolf68 said:

I think TJ has been avoided. What Weaver has done is not uncommon. He had multiple doctors suggest rest and rehab would be all he needs. The great thing he did do in that start is he took himself out the very moment he felt a little something. Perhaps if he tries to push through he does more damage and he is laid up on TJS operating table. Hard to say, I am not a doctor, but seeing the improvement in the last MRI and now he's on a throwing program is awesome and tells me he's on his way back. 

Many people though the Backs got raped on the Goldy deal, but it honestly is looking like a tremendous trade for the D-Backs. Kelly is a legit catcher and appears to have a better than average hit tool, especially for the position. And while the dreams of Weaver being a top of the rotation ace may have been an oversell, it's very clear he is a legit 2/3 starter. For an aging 1st basemen who no longer racks up the steals that he used to get? Not bad.  

I know I am one who stated they may shut him down, but I don't think that. I bet if he is cleared and handles rehab he will get some MLB starts. I do think they probably will take it easy with him and could shut him down a week or two early, but I bet they want to see him take the mound this year. 

I hope it's been avoided, but I think until he pushes that elbow we just don't know.  I think of Otani last year who had the elbow issue early, then pitched for a while, only to get hurt again and need TJS.  Not every situation is the same of course.  Some guys have successfully rehabbed, and I hope Weaver is another.  It's just dicey with elbows and shoulders.  He was definitely smart to go full stop once he felt something. Too many guys just try to pitch thru it and make it worse. 

I agree on the Goldy deal.  Goldy had a year left is was on the wrong side of 30.  I love the player and in no way did I think he'd struggle as he has so far this year but Weaver & Kelly were a solid and talented return with a lot of controllable years.  Before the injury Weaver was looking like he did during his 2nd half run with the Cards in 2017.  He's got good stuff.

Just now, dicka24 said:

I hope it's been avoided, but I think until he pushes that elbow we just don't know.  I think of Otani last year who had the elbow issue early, then pitched for a while, only to get hurt again and need TJS.  Not every situation is the same of course.  Some guys have successfully rehabbed, and I hope Weaver is another.  It's just dicey with elbows and shoulders.  He was definitely smart to go full stop once he felt something. Too many guys just try to pitch thru it and make it worse. 

I agree on the Goldy deal.  Goldy had a year left is was on the wrong side of 30.  I love the player and in no way did I think he'd struggle as he has so far this year but Weaver & Kelly were a solid and talented return with a lot of controllable years.  Before the injury Weaver was looking like he did during his 2nd half run with the Cards in 2017.  He's got good stuff.

Good stuff man. Agree totally. The Weaver thing just kills me. Our league started up two years ago and it's a 30 teamer, I so wanted LW, but one night during draft I was sitting there ready to pull Weaver. The guy in front of me in the draft shows up, evidently drunk babbles and then selects, Luke Weaver. Whatever. I tried multiple times to trade for him, but that owner was a non factor, eventually quitting. He and 3 others quit the league and they we had a "dispersal draft" which included players on those 4 teams, including Luke. So I get a text from another owner saying "X, Y, Z, and Weaver" are still on the board (late) so traded Mitch Garver (who is damn good) for the next pick who I then took Luke Weaver (I only traded Mitch because I had Omar Navaraez as a backup plan). 

So this may be an illegal post, but you can see I have had my sights set on this pitcher a while. His 2017 2nd half was a real sign of things to come. I don't know what happened in 2018 as I wasn't following him totally, but as I said I attempted to get him multiple times and I didn't care that he was sucking. I just knew he had the makeup, the command, and the stuff to be a legit 2/3 starter. After all that, I get him and he kicks total a** then blam, an injury. Those are the ones that really suck. When you do everything and then some to get a guy and you do it, he shows his promise and then goes down. I hate it. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MathieuVirtuoso said:

Anything new on Weaver besides him moving to the 60 Day DL? Safe to rule him out this year? 

Him being moved to the 60 Day IL doesn't mean anything.  It's just a procedural move to free up the roster spot, especially since he's already been out for roughly the 60 days.

There is still a possibility he comes back for a handful of starts at the end of the season.  Nobody knows for sure though of course.

5 minutes ago, Redsfan34 said:

I thought he was getting a follow up MRI last week? Figured we would of heard something by now...any news?

Just so weird. The way everything was handled from the beginning. But yea, I doubt he comes back at this point.

4 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Just so weird. The way everything was handled from the beginning. But yea, I doubt he comes back at this point.

Yeah no kidding, I’m still stashing on my IL until we get some news about him. 

Edited by Redsfan34

I would love to see stats about how often "resting" strained UCLs actually works and isn't merely delaying eventual TJ surgery.  It's really going to blow if he tries to come back, pitches in September and turns out he definitely needs TJ Surgery and they wasted 4 months of his recovery.

As far as I can tell the only person to successfully rest a UCL and avoid surgery is Tanaka

22 minutes ago, SpartyOn4 said:

The Gallen trade worries me that bad news may be on the way. Hopefully they’re unrelated.

Robbie ray is on the block and only has one more year left. Dbacks aren’t building for next year with this move. Either way I don’t see weaver coming back this seasons and I have him stashed. No point unless the team gets hot down the stretch. 

1 hour ago, KrunK said:

Robbie ray is on the block and only has one more year left. Dbacks aren’t building for next year with this move. Either way I don’t see weaver coming back this seasons and I have him stashed. No point unless the team gets hot down the stretch. 

Yeah, the Gallen trade has absolutely nothing to do with Weaver and his current condition.  Weaver can't pitch everyday.

Added him in my keeper as a contending team has an overloaded DL so had to cut him. Why have we heard no news since his scan in late July?

Even if he doesn't come back, do people like his price $6 for keeping next year? If he avoids TJ that is...

Disappointing even in keeper/dynasty leagues, but if he can come back and pitch at all the rest of the season and show that he's completely healthy again, then great.  Although it might be better for his draft value for next season if he doesn't pitch, but I still want him to regardless.