Flyman75

Jesse Winker 2019 Outlook

On 4/13/2019 at 9:39 PM, dkrocka said:

You are absolutely wrong. A 400 obp in a HR park with Votto SuareZ Puig behind him... Who you gonna counter with? Blackmon? Bryant? Yelich? Cut h? He's top 10 runs NL at the least. I GUARANTEE it, barring injury. You could do worse at 200

Two months later he sits at 61st in runs scored...in the NL. 

I’m glad I held on, I was really close to dropping, and probably would’ve if I wasn’t a homer. Starting to swing the bat really good lately. 

The last week looks good, I'm sure he been dropped in many leagues.  Time to add?

4 hours ago, Denbo32 said:

The last week looks good, I'm sure he been dropped in many leagues.  Time to add?

Fool me once...

The plate discipline is starting to come around which is encouraging. He has a 10.2 BB% and 12.2 K% in June. That’s more what I was hoping for.

His groundball rate is still a problem. It’s at 55.6% in June after it was 57.4% in May. Which is a big reason he only has 4 HR in that stretch after 8 in April. The sitting vs. L and getting pulled for pinch hitters also continues to hurt his value.

I still think he can be really, really good but he can’t seem to put it all together at once. Maybe his current hot streak is the start of that but I’m not totally convinced yet.

On 6/12/2019 at 5:12 PM, nlm said:

yep. I finally reached the same point. I had high expectations for him this year--something more like what Max Kepler is currently doing--but he just isn't doing much at all.

Interesting you mention Kepler because the Twins are FINALLY giving Kepler ABs against lefties.  It's hard to get better at something when you're prevented from doing it.  

On the bench for Peraza today against a RHP. Fire this manager into the sun. 

• Like 5

Same old s--- unfortunately for Winker. He’s been the teams hottest hitter during their 5 game win streak, but yet he’s sitting against a righty. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Redsfan34 said:

Same old s--- unfortunately for Winker. He’s been the teams hottest hitter during their 5 game win streak, but yet he’s sitting against a righty. 

Fuc inn Coach is an idiot 😉

• Like 1

2/3 with a homer last night. And today he's out of the lineup against a RHP. I'm not sure what the Reds are doing but maybe just trade him. 

• Like 1

With Scooter back, Dietrich is going to play more corner OF. Puig isn’t going to lose his job, so Winker looks like the odd man out.

Puig could get dealt at the deadline since he’s a free agent after the year, but until/unless that happens, the outlook isn’t good for Winker.

7 minutes ago, SpartyOn4 said:

With Scooter back, Dietrich is going to play more corner OF. Puig isn’t going to lose his job, so Winker looks like the odd man out.

Puig could get dealt at the deadline since he’s a free agent after the year, but until/unless that happens, the outlook isn’t good for Winker.

Well this manager benched both Winker/Dietrich for Ervin so it looks even worse than what you're saying. 

It was bad enough when he was sitting against every lefty, but sitting against Chase Anderson at Miller Park just one day after homering and going 2-for-3 ???  I had him plugged into the lineup with expectations of an even bigger day than yesterday. Reds need to trade Dietrich and Scooter. Perhaps they're showcasing them. Hopefully they don't think they're contenders because they're only 5 back in the Wild Card.

Edited by Baseball Batman
typo

Just when I'm ready to drop him, he hits a HR. 

Just when I'm ready to put him in my lineup, he gets benched by Bell.

Endless..... Cycle....

• Haha 1

Hitting .342 with a 1.000+ OPS in 12 games since the break. He may be finally ready to contribute what we thought he would coming into the year.

Batting 3rd today with Suarez out of the lineup.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, einstein2u said:

Are we interested again?

He’s still platooning. And not just missing starts, but getting pulled mid-game when the opponent brings a lefty.

His OPS is going to be really good and I can see him being very useful in some formats, but the platoon is just going to hurt his counting stats too much in a standard roto league.

Any thoughts on his outlook as a keeper for next year in 5x5 roto formats?  He seems like he has the skills to be a nice value if he would just get every day at bats but I don't have any sense as to how much priority they will put on giving him that chance next year.

Not even close imo. Will most likely go around 110-140adp.. far from keeper territory. Could be nice value next year though in later rounds

• Like 1

What concerns me about Winker is not only did the Reds platoon him this year, they often pinch-hit for him as soon as a lefty entered the game. Sometimes he’d only get 2 PA.

His hitting ability is great but I don’t have much faith anything will be different next year. The Reds love to platoon.

• Like 1