Sign in to follow this  
colepenhagen

Starling Marte 2019 Outlook

counting stats are trash and don't expect that to change this year but does have that 20/30 upside with decent avg.

I don't think the counting stats are great, but I don't think they're trash, either. I'll happily take 80 Rs and 70 RBI if I'm getting 20-30 and a solid BA out of the guy.

The biggest problem I have with Marte is his inconsistent power display and the fact that he's played 150+ games once in six full seasons. 

Biggest concern for me is that he went 8-for-17 on SB attempts in the 2nd half last season, after going 25-for-30 in the first half. And he's 30. If he's starting to slow down on the bases, he's not going to be a good pick where he's going.

• Like 4

for me it has more to do with the top 35 pick on someone who has so many red flags, inconsistent power, counting stat, peds, health, crap team, 30 years old ect

15/30 280 should be a lock but doesn't seem like the safest pick. much rather pay up for a better 5 cat player earlier in the draft. or just wait for pham 40-50 picks later.

also like the power options better where he is going (Bellinger, Hoskins, khris)

then again it wouldn't surprise me to see him go 20/30

• Like 1

I owned Marte last year because he fell to me at the right time in the draft, so I can say that--last season at least--he is streaky as all hell.  Now I don't know how to see weekly splits, but the monthly splits tell you a lot.  Examples:

Mar/Apr he walked 14 times to 23 Ks.  Those were almost half his walks for the entire season while he continued to K at that rate.

7 of his 20 HRs came in the month of July, where he hit a silly .341/.371.

June was his worst month, he hit .194/.245 with 18 hits and 6 BBs.  And yet, in those meager 24 times on base he stole 8 bases to 1 CS.

So if I'm playing a roto 5X5 I may not discount him as it's the end stats that matter.  But if I'm in H2H, and those are the leagues I play in, I may pass on Marte at #38 for Robles at #101, Pham at #63, or even Inciarte at #139.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So what are the thoughts on this cat. Can't believe it's been almost four weeks since the last post about him. 

I got him at #34 on my standard 5x5 board... he’d be a lot higher if he had a better supporting cast

Been trying to unload this cheater in my dynasty ever since he got nailed for PED’s. I’m forced to start him as my #3 OF. (que violin)

For some reason...he always seems to have a knack for a great week when my team is taking a dump. 

On 3/4/2019 at 7:18 PM, bluntbros said:

Been trying to unload this cheater in my dynasty ever since he got nailed for PED’s. I’m forced to start him as my #3 OF. (que violin)

For some reason...he always seems to have a knack for a great week when my team is taking a dump. 

They all use steroids

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Jub Jub said:

Showing DTD again, is it another migraine?

Got hit in the head with a heater last night but stayed in the game and played. Probably just a precautionary tag, they have the day off so hopefully he's fine.

On 3/28/2019 at 6:44 PM, SuperJoint said:

Kind of like the experience of owning him. 

His value is almost entirely dependent on SB.  (His .284 career average is good but not great.  He's never hit more than 20 HRs in any season and his counting stats aren't going to be great on a bad Pirates offense.)  He's over 30 years old now, so it might not be a fluke that his SB are way down so far this year.

Starling Marte had to be carted off of the field on Friday after colliding with teammate Erik Gonzalez while converging on a fly ball.

It appeared that Marte's right knee collided with Gonzalez, who was running full speed into center field chasing the pop fly. He also may have taken a forearm to the throat. Marte will head for further evaluation. Look for the Pirates to provide an update on his status as soon as one becomes available.

**** me!

11 hours ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

When is this guy healthy? He’s the Danillo Gallinari of baseball. 

Gallinari was money this year for my fantasy team.

12 hours ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Not to deter from the seriousness of the situation and I hope both players come out of it okay - but that freeze frame is fantastic lol.  It’s like Marte is trying to avoid a kiss from Gonzalez.

Anyone see the collision? Should we be assuming the worst? Being carted off is never a good thing, did he even try to attempt to put weight on his leg?

This injury should speed up Polanco’s return. If he’s still available I would grab him. 

Edited by HaloFanatic17

1 hour ago, FootballFan101 said:

Gallinari was money this year for my fantasy team.

mine too lol. if you're a basketball guy you know he's usually always injured though..

1 hour ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

Anyone see the collision? Should we be assuming the worst? Being carted off is never a good thing, did he even try to attempt to put weight on his leg?

This injury should speed up Polanco’s return. If he’s still available I would grab him. 

It was basically a football-like collision with him and Gonzalez, as they were both running at full speed for the ball.  The leg wasn't the issue.  He had severe pain in his chest.  When he finally got up, he seemed to be standing just fine.

If it was up to him, he would have walked off without the cart.  He didn't want it, but obviously they talked him into it.  It really depends on if he just bruised whatever he hurt in his chest area or if it's something worse.  Regardless, I'd be shocked if he was in their lineup today.

There's been no update on the injury but two Pirates prospects have just shown up at the stadium. Apparently there are only 39 players on the roster so one is a freebie but someone is going on the IL.

2 minutes ago, Kevin Barker said:

There's been no update on the injury but two Pirates prospects have just shown up at the stadium. Apparently there are only 39 players on the roster so one is a freebie but someone is going on the IL.

Yeah, and Rotowire is calling it a right knee injury, so I guess even after seeing the collision last night, I'm not sure what the injury actually is.  It doesn't help that the team hasn't said anything yet.

It wouldn't surprise me if it was Marte, as he definitely looked like he got the worst of it.  He was still down when Gonzalez got up and was being walked off the field.