Sidearmer

Travis Shaw 2019 Outlook

Looking atrocious at the plate. 

His O-swing is slightly down from last year and career norm.

But his z-conact is down about 10% thus his contact rate is also down by that much.

I'd like to say it's still sss but man does he look bad. 

My patience is wearing thin and I'm sure if he keeps this up I could see him getting dropped in the order. such a potent lineup and he is a black hole. 

Something just seems off.  It carried over from Spring Training.

I have him no where even though I liked him.  Thought he was a little overvalued. That said if anybody drops, I will likely pick him up. Two year track record of consistency.

Can’t win with ST stats

stayed away from L Castillo because he looked so bad

shaw was unbelievably bad in ST, but I went with the track record

0-2

Edited by Donniebaseball23

You're killing me Shaws!!!  Take a pitch every once in a while I don't think you've been ahead in the count ONCE this season grrrrr

Production negative per owners.  I can’t believe how many people ready to jump ship after 10 bad baseball games.  He’ll get going soon.  He’s still walking a ton.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RJWMN24 said:

Out of the lineup tonight.

Yeah he won't play almost ever against a lefty, he can't hit them.

On 4/10/2019 at 12:51 PM, bluefrogguy said:

I have him no where even though I liked him.  Thought he was a little overvalued. That said if anybody drops, I will likely pick him up. Two year track record of consistency.

He was definitely badly overranked.  I don't have a lot of faith in Shaw.  Sure, I guess he's worth a flier if he was dropped and you don't have to drop anyone of consequence for him, but it would not surprise me at all if Shaw bats in the low .200s this year and there's even Chris Davis potential.

1 hour ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Yeah he won't play almost ever against a lefty, he can't hit them.

True, I didn't even think about this.  Looks like he is healthy enough to play.

He has a hand injury which is why he's been sitting.  Took a HBP off it and is working his way back.

Looking at the underlying metric his discipline is still good, he just isn't making as much contact when he does swing, about a ten percent decrease across the board. I'd be more worried if it were the other way around; making contact seems to be more variable than having a good eye. Maybe he was a bit overvalued coming into the season, but he should be fine. Still seeing the ball well, it's only a matter of time before he starts hitting. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Hatfieldodger said:

Dropped to 7th in lineup. Not a good sign. 

I'm guessing that was due to facing a LHP starter. He's sucked vs Lefties, so I'm ok with it, IF that's all it is.

Edited by Resident A-hole

6 hours ago, Resident A-hole said:

I'm guessing that was due to facing a LHP starter. He's sucked vs Lefties, so I'm ok with it, IF that's all it is.

You’re right. Signs of life from Travis

18 minutes ago, PremiumPlus said:

Anyone know whats up with this guy this year? Just a slow start, or is there something we overlooked in the past about his game?

Good read on FanGraphs today regarding slow starters at the plate, including Shaw.

TL; DL version: Encouraging underlying numbers.  If Shaw can get his pull rates back up, he will start putting them over the fence at the expected clip.

• Like 1

There was a really good article that featured him as a value pick at his ADP in February, I think, which is why I drafted him a couple of times.... i wish I could find it, but essentially it was saying all his metrics were the same in 18 as in 17, and the batting average should creep back up this season with better luck.

I keep that in the back of my mind as he's off to this slow start.... either that analyst was right, or Shaw's just a huge liability in BA now. I'm holding out hope.