Sidearmer

Travis Shaw 2019 Outlook

7 minutes ago, Hockey_Baseball said:

There was a really good article that featured him as a value pick at his ADP in February, I think, which is why I drafted him a couple of times.... i wish I could find it, but essentially it was saying all his metrics were the same in 18 as in 17, and the batting average should creep back up this season with better luck.

I keep that in the back of my mind as he's off to this slow start.... either that analyst was right, or Shaw's just a huge liability in BA now. I'm holding out hope.

It's not gonna creep up with better luck though imo. His BABIP is gonna be low compared to league average because he is such a limited hitter. They shift and he continues to hit right into it.

• Like 2

I don't like how his K% is sky high to begin the season. It was trending downwards the previous three seasons and is a reason why I liked him a lot coming into this season. I'm going to side with the previous three years of progression over his 57 PAs this year but it does bother me that he's striking out at such a high clip. His swstr% is also up after trending down the previous two years. 

Hiura is lurking in the minors but his k rate is just as bad as Shaw's

Interesting that the preseason no walking carried over.  Wonder why the sudden change?

I can't argue against the fact that he has been truly awful so far this season, but I also find it hard to believe that he's all of a sudden a truly awful and useless hitter too.  It's not like he had one fluke season like some players have had before they crashed and burned.

Dropped to 6th could be good for him.  Take some pressure off.  Get back to being the Mayor of Dong City.  

He will be fine and I'm not worried. Just cheesed.

But y'all can thank me for benching him.

Didn't see his 2 hits last night, saw his other 3 at-bats which were awful.  He just seems late on every fastball.  Could be his bruised hand?

43 minutes ago, abachar said:

Didn't see his 2 hits last night, saw his other 3 at-bats which were awful.  He just seems late on every fastball.  Could be his bruised hand?

It's his bottom hand, so maybe. He took the padding off yesterday, so might be the catalyst to help.

I've said repeatedly, he's a very limited hitter--but that is not to imply that he's an all-around bad one or anything. He's streaky and will get his numbers soon enough...he feasts on mistakes, he's just missed too many early on.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

It's his bottom hand, so maybe. He took the padding off yesterday, so might be the catalyst to help.

I've said repeatedly, he's a very limited hitter--but that is not to imply that he's an all-around bad one or anything. He's streaky and will get his numbers soon enough...he feasts on mistakes, he's just missed too many early on.

Seems like pretty reasonable analysis there.

He has two multi-hit games in a row now, which may not seem like much, but maybe he is turning things around.  Basically no power still, but baby steps I suppose.

On 4/15/2019 at 11:18 AM, ST. STEVEN said:

It's not gonna creep up with better luck though imo. His BABIP is gonna be low compared to league average because he is such a limited hitter. They shift and he continues to hit right into it.

I totally agree with your analysis.   Between all the strikeouts and using only 1/3 of the field, Shaw is going to be an absolute batting average killer, and he lacks Joey Gallo-like power.  The position versatility is nice, but means nothing unless he hits.  Shaw was badly overranked in the preseason.  I guess I see a buy-low argument, but the price would have to be a dead giveaway for me.

SMH.  Didn't believe he was real two seasons ago.  Came around as a believer after last season.  His numbers did look good though.  Still early but he has been nothing short of putrid.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MoonyGray said:

He can be dropped.

NOT SO FAST MY FRIEND!  We’ve absorbed 3 putrid weeks of baseball so far.  We going to let someone soak up the corrections?  Gets steady dose of RHP this week, and some very high end meat pipers at that.  Jake Flaherty, Michael Wacha, Wainwright, Chris Flexen, Noah, then ends week with Matz.  I look for a few dongs this week.

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

NOT SO FAST MY FRIEND!  We’ve absorbed 3 putrid weeks of baseball so far.  We going to let someone soak up the corrections?  Gets steady dose of RHP this week, and some very high end meat pipers at that.  Jake Flaherty, Michael Wacha, Wainwright, Chris Flexen, Noah, then ends week with Matz.  I look for a few dongs this week.

Yeah.  Was considering dropping until I saw his matchups.  Giving him one more week

I'm going to recommend staying the course and holding this guy if at all possible. 

I had a guy on my team with a very similar putrid start last year, but I held on.  This guy was a lefty who got shifted to death, and he kept hitting the ball into the shift and striking out all April just like Shaw is this year.  But I am very glad that I held Matt Carpenter last year, and I am planning on doing the same with Shaw.

• Like 1

You get contrarian reports on just about every player, but he was one guy that was just about universally recommended by every site before the season

Edited by Donniebaseball23
  • Like 1

Is he worth a waiver claim at this point? I can really use 2B/3B help but he has looked so awful I am debating if he is even worth grabbing.

2 hours ago, fourstar said:

Is he worth a waiver claim at this point? I can really use 2B/3B help but he has looked so awful I am debating if he is even worth grabbing.

Pick him up and see what happens this week