Sidearmer

Travis Shaw 2019 Outlook

2 hours ago, fourstar said:

Is he worth a waiver claim at this point? I can really use 2B/3B help but he has looked so awful I am debating if he is even worth grabbing.

I would wait on it, see if he displays signs of coming out of this funk...they are on the road against solid staffs this week...

On 4/21/2019 at 7:17 PM, Cmilne23 said:

NOT SO FAST MY FRIEND!  We’ve absorbed 3 putrid weeks of baseball so far.  We going to let someone soak up the corrections?  Gets steady dose of RHP this week, and some very high end meat pipers at that.  Jake Flaherty, Michael Wacha, Wainwright, Chris Flexen, Noah, then ends week with Matz.  I look for a few dongs this week.

There’s one dong.  Let’s get a few more this week.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

There’s one dong.  Let’s get a few more this week.

Two dongs on week.  Keep the dong party rolling!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Two dongs on week.  Keep the dong party rolling!

There’s 3!  Can we get a 4 up in this joint?

12 minutes ago, MoonyGray said:

This is a good hitter. 

Ya if by good hitter you mean poor man's Gallo minus the walks

8 minutes ago, fingy said:

Ya if by good hitter you mean poor man's Gallo minus the walks

Huh?  Shaw had an OBP of over 100 points higher than average last year.  He’s not some free swinging hack.  Gallo is a very unique hitter nobody really compares to him.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Huh?  Shaw had an OBP of over 100 points higher than average last year.  He’s not some free swinging hack.  Gallo is a very unique hitter nobody really compares to him.  

His numbers this year says otherwise. His walk rates down about 5% and K rate is up  15% and swstr% is up 5%. Plate discipline metrics are the quickest to stabilize.

5 hours ago, fingy said:

His numbers this year says otherwise. His walk rates down about 5% and K rate is up  15% and swstr% is up 5%. Plate discipline metrics are the quickest to stabilize.

In general yes but you can't always take metrics as strict gospel. Sometimes a guy has a really bad slump and just doesn't have it for an extended period. In the beginning of a season that'll screw up the metrics, just ask 2018 Goldy.That's what I think was going on with Shaw. His issue wasn't one of swinging at bad pitches, his O swing is right around where it was last season. He just wasn't making contact period. But it's looking like he's finally breaking out of the slump, his K and BB rates should go back to normal. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, phillyphan21 said:

In general yes but you can't always take metrics as strict gospel. Sometimes a guy has a really bad slump and just doesn't have it for an extended period. In the beginning of a season that'll screw up the metrics, just ask 2018 Goldy.That's what I think was going on with Shaw. His issue wasn't one of swinging at bad pitches, his O swing is right around where it was last season. He just wasn't making contact period. But it's looking like he's finally breaking out of the slump, his K and BB rates should go back to normal. 

Yes, I agree the metrics don't tell the whole story nor are they definitive. All I'm trying to be is objective. I own him too and yes, this is still a small sample, but there are some red flags (so far) and we can't be (or shouldn't be) overly optimistic. I'm just trying to play the devil's advocate here. 2 dingers were great but they also came with 2 SOs. He still isn't looking like who he was the past two years. In conclusion, we need to stay alert and see if things really change in a good way soon.

7 hours ago, fingy said:

Yes, I agree the metrics don't tell the whole story nor are they definitive. All I'm trying to be is objective. I own him too and yes, this is still a small sample, but there are some red flags (so far) and we can't be (or shouldn't be) overly optimistic. I'm just trying to play the devil's advocate here. 2 dingers were great but they also came with 2 SOs. He still isn't looking like who he was the past two years. In conclusion, we need to stay alert and see if things really change in a good way soon.

I'm not saying to completely ignore the Ks, just to keep things in perspective. His O-swing rate for example is 27.9%, which is a few ticks below his career rate. His issue isn't plate discipline. In fact, his walk rate now sits a 8.8 percent compared to a career value of 10 percent. His issue is that he hasn't been making contact but if the last few games are any indication that issue has started to fix itself, and if that's the case his K rate should approach his career rate of 22.6%. I get K rate and BB rate tend to stabilize fairly quickly, but even they can be misleading if a guy just isn't feeling it for a stretch. I'm still keeping an eye on his strikeouts, but I'm not overly concerned at this point.

14 minutes ago, Zig Zag said:

Finding it very difficult to justify holding this guy...  

Same here. I just know as soon as I drop him he will likely get scooped up and go on a tear. He is riding the pine until he can show some consistency but if he continues to wallow in sucktitude he's a drop candidate. 

1 minute ago, Hatfieldodger said:

Same here. I just know as soon as I drop him he will likely get scooped up and go on a tear. He is riding the pine until he can show some consistency but if he continues to wallow in sucktitude he's a drop candidate. 

Seems likely he'll get another day off today. Going against another lefty.

7 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Seems likely he'll get another day off today. Going against another lefty.

Freeland has been awful against lefties.  Could be in the lineup.

• Like 1

I was giving until this past week to do something and he did hit 3 bombs. I'll keep monitoring but he's on a very short leash for sure.

• Like 1

Just now, Backdoor Slider said:

Out of the lineup today again. Likely because it’s a lefty. 3 LHP this week, so...😕

So start vs RHP and sit vs LHP.  He’s a platoon bat.  There’s many in the league.  You want the 0-3/0-4 against the lefty?  He just had 3 Jacks last week against RHP.  He’s going to get going.

31 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

So start vs RHP and sit vs LHP.  He’s a platoon bat.  There’s many in the league.  You want the 0-3/0-4 against the lefty?  He just had 3 Jacks last week against RHP.  He’s going to get going.

Yep not sure why all the whining on these threads unless maybe from weekly league owners.  Muncy, Joc, Shaw, Thames, etc. are platoon bats who can be utilized strategically in daily leagues. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, El_Chingon said:

Yep not sure why all the whining on these threads unless maybe from weekly league owners.  Muncy, Joc, Shaw, Thames, etc. are platoon bats who can be utilized strategically in daily leagues. 

Weekly league or minimum bench spots with lots of injuries and/or holding prospects. Lots of reasons to want your bat in the lineup, even if it’s 0-3 w/RBI groundout. Not all of us have space for a guy who plays 4 times/week. Not sure where the confusion would be. Pretty sure most are aware there are many different set-ups. Glad he’s great for you though 👍🏼

47 minutes ago, El_Chingon said:

Not all of us have deep benches like you man

1 hour ago, Cmilne23 said:

Yeah, I'm sure "platoon bat" is exactly what fantasy owners thought when they drafted him.