Sidearmer

Travis Shaw 2019 Outlook

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Weekly league or minimum bench spots with lots of injuries and/or holding prospects. Lots of reasons to want your bat in the lineup, even if it’s 0-3 w/RBI groundout. Not all of us have space for a guy who plays 4 times/week. Not sure where the confusion would be. Pretty sure most are aware there are many different set-ups. Glad he’s great for you though 👍🏼

My confusion is because you should have done your homework and known platoon bats like Shaw and Joc would sit vs LHP before drafting them.  If they don't fit your league format or roster construction for whatever reason, don't draft them and then come to their player thread and whine about it later.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, El_Chingon said:

My confusion is because you should have done your homework and known platoon bats like Shaw and Joc would sit vs LHP before drafting them.

 

You're making stuff up.

Pederson is a platoon bat, Shaw was not.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, El_Chingon said:

My confusion is because you should have done your homework and known platoon bats like Shaw and Joc would sit vs LHP before drafting them.  If they don't fit your league format or roster construction for whatever reason, don't draft them and then come to their player thread and whine about it later.

133 PAs v. LHP last season. For reference, Yelich had 192 PAs. That you didn’t know that he wasn’t a platoon bat, tells me you’re the one who hasn’t done homework. 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Max Rockatansky said:

 

Yeah, I'm sure "platoon bat" is exactly what fantasy owners thought when they drafted him.

Did you draft him expecting to toss him out against lefties?  He hit .209 with a .599 OPS vs LHP last year.  And a .900 OPS against RHP with 30 of his 32 homers.  It’s pretty cut and dry here on how to utitize him. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, El_Chingon said:

My confusion is because you should have done your homework and known platoon bats like Shaw and Joc would sit vs LHP before drafting them.  If they don't fit your league format or roster construction for whatever reason, don't draft them and then come to their player thread and whine about it later.

Shaw played in 152 games last year. How is that a platoon bat?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Did you draft him expecting to toss him out against lefties?  He hit .209 with a .599 OPS vs LHP last year.  And a .900 OPS against RHP with 30 of his 32 homers.  It’s pretty cut and dry here on how to utitize him. 

 

No I drafted him thinking he was good.

36.1 K% against righties so far, only 5 qualified players in the league are worse than that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He can't hit lefties. He won't see them much, esp after Hiura gets the call.

He pleaded with them to give him a chance to prove he could make the adjustments and hit them...they gave him another shot in ST and last I remember was he was at 0-20 with mostly Ks...he struggles enough with how they shift him against RHs...

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Did you draft him expecting to toss him out against lefties?  He hit .209 with a .599 OPS vs LHP last year.  And a .900 OPS against RHP with 30 of his 32 homers.  It’s pretty cut and dry here on how to utitize him. 

Exactly.... I drafted him knowing I would not have started him against left-handed pitchers. where he does more harm than good.  Not sure why this is so hard to understand?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Max Rockatansky said:

 

No I drafted him thinking he was good.

36.1 K% against righties so far, only 5 qualified players in the league are worse than that.

Rough start.  132 games left to correct it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, El_Chingon said:

Exactly.... I drafted him knowing I would not have started him against left-handed pitchers. where he does more harm than good.  Not sure why this is so hard to understand?

At least you’re ignoring and no longer pretending he was drafted as a platoon bat like Pederson. I appreciate that 😂

spacer.png

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

At least you’re ignoring and no longer pretending he was drafted as a platoon bat like Pederson. I appreciate that 😂

spacer.png

His splits vs. LHP are so awful that he was begging for a platoon partner.  Didn't need a crystal ball to see a platoon coming.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I drafted Shaw by design.  I loved the multi position flexibility in one of my hardest, deepest, short bench leagues.  He "was" not a platoon bat.  However, things change all the time and I think his struggles have affected that.  Just be mindful of it moving forward.  If you see a lefty heavy week, consider your other options. Hopefully he gets hot and all this changes but teams seem more inclined than ever to play match up baseball. 

Edited by dicka24
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This guy has been such a bum. Drafted with confidence in multiple leagues. Two more weeks like this and I’m going to drop, probably already should have. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/29/2019 at 9:43 PM, AlexxelA said:

I drafted him way too high and it took a while, but I finally dropped him.  He killed my average.

 

Shaw was probably the most overranked player in preseason (although Aaron Nola could make a good argument there as well).

As others here have said, strikes out way way too much and only uses 1/3 of the field.  There were a ton of red flags from last year and even from spring training this year where posted 25 strikeouts and 0 walks.

I don't think you'll regret dropping Shaw.  At best, he's a 1 category guy (HR) who will be a big liability in AVG, and it's entirely possible he will be this year what Chris Davis was last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

 

Shaw was probably the most overranked player in preseason (although Aaron Nola could make a good argument there as well).

As others here have said, strikes out way way too much and only uses 1/3 of the field.  There were a ton of red flags from last year and even from spring training this year where posted 25 strikeouts and 0 walks.

I don't think you'll regret dropping Shaw.  At best, he's a 1 category guy (HR) who will be a big liability in AVG, and it's entirely possible he will be this year what Chris Davis was last year.

I wouldn’t go that far.  He’s averaged 31.5 homers 93.5 RBIs the last 2 years and is 15 for 17 in SBs in that span.  So he can chip in some cheap steals.  Average could be mediocre, probably has more value in an ops league than average league.  

 

Edited by Cmilne23

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

I wouldn’t go that far.  He’s averaged 31.5 homers 93.5 RBIs the last 2 years and is 15 for 17 in SBs in that span.  So he can chip in some cheap steals.  Average could be mediocre, probably has more value in an ops league than average league.  

 

 

Fair enough about the RBIs the past two years, but 15 SBs total in two years is not helping you in SBs.  I guess we'll have to disagree about this, but I don't see Shaw getting anywhere close to 30 HRs and 90 RBIs this year and I think the average is going to be a LOT worse than "mediocre".  

Edited by FootballFan101

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, FootballFan101 said:

 

Fair enough about the RBIs the past two years, but 15 SBs total in two years is not helping you in SBs.  I guess we'll have to disagree about this, but I don't see Shaw getting anywhere close to 30 HRs and 90 RBIs this year and I think the average is going to be a LOT worse than "mediocre".  

It is May 3 and we have a ton of season left....this is not fantasy football.

In 2017 he hit .281 with a .892 OPS vs. RHP, last season he he hit .251 with an identical .892 OPS vs. RHP. 

Big mistake dropping a bat with this kind of power especially in leagues where he still has 2B eligibility.  Sit vs. LHP, start vs. RHP.  Rinse and repeat ROS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, El_Chingon said:

It is May 3 and we have a ton of season left....this is not fantasy football.

In 2017 he hit .281 with a .892 OPS vs. RHP, last season he he hit .251 with an identical .892 OPS vs. RHP. 

Big mistake dropping a bat with this kind of power especially in leagues where he still has 2B eligibility.  Sit vs. LHP, start vs. RHP.  Rinse and repeat ROS.

 

Shaw was a useful player against RHP the past two years.  However, just because he was the past two years, doesn't mean he is this year anymore.  Chris Davis was a useful fantasy player too until last year.  Two things with Shaw really concern me

1.  His K rate has jumped all the way up to 33% this year, compared to 18% and 22% the past two years.  K rates are historically one of the fastest stats to normalize, so I can't treat that massive jump in strikeouts through 5 weeks as a fluke.

2.  The league has really figured out that Shaw only uses a third of the field and have killed him with the shift, just like with Chris Davis.  The shift is why Shaw's average went down from .273 in 2017 to .241 last year despite actually slightly reducing his K rate last year compared to 2017.  Now, add in the fact that Shaw is striking out 15% more often than last year, and you're very likely looking at a guy who will hit under .200 this year.

Edited by FootballFan101

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to move him out of frustration and need, but then I see his numbers the last 2 years and I feel like I'd be making a mistake in haste. The last 2 years have been very good.  The added 15 SB can be important in roto leagues where 5 to 10 steals can me a few spots in the standings during this depression era for SBs.   I'm going to hold on a little longer, but am benching him in LHP heavy weeks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, smeeze said:

Out of the lineup again tonight (lefty). 🚽

Not sure why this comes as a surprise?  And even he were starting in real life, why would you want him to start for you in fantasy given his splits vs. LHP?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, El_Chingon said:

Not sure why this comes as a surprise?  And even he were starting in real life, why would you want him to start for you in fantasy given his splits vs. LHP?

Not a surprise, just disappointing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His Zone contact percentage has cratered.   Seems like a loss in bat skills.  Not sure how a player still in his prime all of a sudden loses it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...