Sidearmer

Travis Shaw 2019 Outlook

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, dicka24 said:

The Brewers have 7 games this week.  Six of the seven are vs RHPs.  He just got the weekend off.  I'm running with him on a hunch, and on a bit of a numbers play on positive regression.  I have Meadows with a 5 game week where he faces 2 LHPs and Hicks who's just coming off the IL.  As of this moment, it's Shaw in my UT over both.  I do reserve the right to change my mind but this is Shaw's Alamo on my roster.  I won't drop him, but he won't see AB's after this week unless he starts hitting.  Wish me luck!

 

No, I want Hiura up.  Sorry...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's unfathomable that this guy is still owned in 50% of Yahoo leagues.  Shaw was badly overanked by Yahoo in preseason and he's getting worse each week, not better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, knuckleheads said:

 

No, I want Hiura up.  Sorry...

Hurry up? 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

It's unfathomable that this guy is still owned in 50% of Yahoo leagues.  Shaw was badly overanked by Yahoo in preseason and he's getting worse each week, not better.

I don't know about being overranked. He was coming off 2 great seasons in a row with seemingly nothing changing, until the season started.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, pbjfb said:

I don't know about being overranked. He was coming off 2 great seasons in a row with seemingly nothing changing, until the season started.

Except for a 24:0 k:bb ratio in spring training.

He's a great argument for why you pay attention to spring training results

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, pushaZ said:

Except for a 24:0 k:bb ratio in spring training.

He's a great argument for why you pay attention to spring training results

 

Eh, a lot of the time spring training is just a time to get some reps in, especially for the proven vets, which Shaw was coming into the season. Now, maybe he's been playing hurt since then and that's why he's been struggling so much. But there is a laundry list of players that didn't perform in spring training only to perform at their usual levels during the season, I saw no reason to think that Shaw wouldn't be one of those guys. Obviously that's not how it worked out but if he's been trying to play through an injury his sudden drop off suddenly makes a lot of sense.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First rehab game:  0-3 1k

He’s done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to this, sounds like they're gonna keep Shaw down until he starts hitting like a normal baseball player again. However long that takes. Then who knows what will happen, but smart money is on some kind of L/R platoon action with Hiura since that seems to be the trend nowadays (someone in the Hiura thread mentioned a triple platoon with Moose involved which could also certainly happen). No idea who else they could send down besides Hiura to make room once Shaw is ready.

 

 

Also, Rotowire just posted this:

May 24, 2019
Shaw (wrist) is 1-for-9 with three strikeouts over two games since beginning his rehab assignment with Triple-A San Antonio.
ANALYSIS
It's tough to put too much stock into two games, but it would certainly be better to see Shaw succeeding at the plate given his slow start to the season with the Brewers. It's not clear how much longer Shaw will remain on his rehab assignment, but given the Brewers' crowded roster and the club's desire to get Shaw right at the plate, they won't be in any hurry to rush him back.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2019 at 1:24 PM, Bobby Blue said:

According to this, sounds like they're gonna keep Shaw down until he starts hitting like a normal baseball player again. However long that takes. Then who knows what will happen, but smart money is on some kind of L/R platoon action with Hiura since that seems to be the trend nowadays (someone in the Hiura thread mentioned a triple platoon with Moose involved which could also certainly happen). No idea who else they could send down besides Hiura to make room once Shaw is ready.

 

 

Also, Rotowire just posted this:

May 24, 2019
Shaw (wrist) is 1-for-9 with three strikeouts over two games since beginning his rehab assignment with Triple-A San Antonio.
ANALYSIS
It's tough to put too much stock into two games, but it would certainly be better to see Shaw succeeding at the plate given his slow start to the season with the Brewers. It's not clear how much longer Shaw will remain on his rehab assignment, but given the Brewers' crowded roster and the club's desire to get Shaw right at the plate, they won't be in any hurry to rush him back.

 

Even when Shaw was playing every day, he wasn't worth owning (all he did was crush your team's batting average and put up very little counting stats), but I think he will be a bench player when he comes back.  The Brewers would have to be really dumb to send Hiura back down or platoon him.  Hiura so far has been better than Shaw was last year, and Shaw's obviously declined big time since last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Donniebaseball23 said:

6 for his last 10

i think he’s worth a stash, should have some value down the stretch

That 6 for 10 is in the minors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Donniebaseball23 said:

6 for his last 10

i think he’s worth a stash, should have some value down the stretch

 

He was 0-3 today.  Small sample and all but his overall line of .250 and .703 OPS in the Pacific Coast League doesn't scream turnaround to me... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just doing some digging about Shaw's wrist injury because I was thinking of possibly adding him when he comes off the I.L. Found an interview from earlier this season where he says that the wrist injury is "pinpoint" to where it was last year. Sounds to me like an ongoing problem. He said he played through it last year and shouldn't have. During the interview he mentioned they told him to rest and not swing a bat for a few days. If his wrist has been bothering him for two seasons over about a calendar year, that can't be good. Makes you wonder how much better it really is feeling, if at all. 🙄

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

got rid of him a few weeks into the season and it was getting rid of what would have been a constant headache.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone adding where he was dropped ?

I know he's been terrible but still in a good lineup and if he's over any wrist issues hes been dealing with who knows what we got ROS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I scooped him in a few spots. Hopefully, the minor league stint gets him going. This is a guy whos been a 30 HR hitter the past two seasons. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He hit a HR last last.  His first since returning from the DL.  He's 4-15 with 5 BB & 5 Ks, and has played in 5 of the 7 games. 

 

I've held him this entire time, but if he's on the wire in your league he might be worth a speculative add.  At the very least he's worth monitoring in case he's returning to form.  I have my doubts, but this is a guy who is 29 yrs old and coming off back to back 30+ HR, 90+ RBI seasons (with 15 total SB's) and multi position eligibility. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We all know a lot of these guys in the majors are a few minor tweaks from being where they need to be. You usually don’t get to the majors when you have major flaws. I think he is absolutely worth a hold. If anyone is going back down this time it’s aguilar. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Neither 3B or 2B are the deepest of positions this year IMO.  Definitely worth the cost of a last roster slot that he picks it back up if you are hurting at either position or both.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, South Jersey Bombers said:

k to walk rate is very appealing, considering he used to be dreadful in that aspect.

was he dreadful... ?? i guess you could argue that in march/april of this year it wasn't great, but he still had a 9% BB rate which is pretty good.

image.png.fcee64d5e68e40e823e653ae5556dee3.png

image.png.f348bedd9d61d30b4aa39c5c4ef8eb23.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, osb_tensor said:

was he dreadful... ?? i guess you could argue that in march/april of this year it wasn't great, but he still had a 9% BB rate which is pretty good.

image.png.fcee64d5e68e40e823e653ae5556dee3.png

image.png.f348bedd9d61d30b4aa39c5c4ef8eb23.png

i mean he played 11 games in may, and 5 in june so far............

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...