B&F

Luke Voit 2019 Outlook

3 hours ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

I haven't seen a Luke fall like this since Cloud City. 

The Last Jedi awakens...

Edited by BMcP
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BMcP said:

The Last Jedi awakens...

Sucks to say someone needs anything this early in the season - but he needed that (AND SO DID I!).  Hopefully this gets something started.

• Like 3

He has a 182 babip. Yes, that's a lazy way of looking at things because not every player deserves a 300 babip, but his batting peripherals support the impending rebound.

He has a career best walk rate. He isn't swinging at balls at any alarming rate and if you liked him before you should like him now.

• Like 6

Yeah I was getting nervous but his OBP before today was still a 0.385. As long as he isn't chasing the numbers will come. 

Seems like the hype machine has slowed on Voit. Looking pretty ordinary out there, sorry to say.

He's left a small village on the bases so far but he hasn't looked bad. Just missing his pitches. If you can get him from someone who wants to move on, I would. Still tons of potential batting 3rd in this lineup. 

His peripherals still look good.  Holding.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, B&F said:

His peripherals still look good.  Holding.

His pulling the ball at 50% and hitting more ground balls. The good news is he's walking more right now and striking out less, but I think that's cause he's swinging less in general. Hard hit% is way down too. 

As long as he keeps walking, I won't panic(yet). Gotta like the cut down on K's, so that part is encouraging.

CF bomb off Cole last night, pretty nice to see.

He's at his best when aiming for RC and not pulling off on the ball. Natural power that way.

Edited by swfcdan
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Baseball Batman said:

15 games into the season, still looking for his first multi-hit performance. Snooze.........

13 RBI in 15 games, yeah snooze. Really depends on your format,the guy has been a solid asset in OBP and obviously has a nice ceiling 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, WatchMeWHIP said:

13 RBI in 15 games, yeah snooze. Really depends on your format,the guy has been a solid asset in OBP and obviously has a nice ceiling 

Right? Yes the average sucks right now but he’s gonna catch a ton of counting stats in that lineup. Just wait till the hits start falling. Look at that babip too 👀

52 minutes ago, WatchMeWHIP said:

Funny, Jorge Soler has 4 HR and 13 RBI in 15 games and Voit has 4 HR and 14 RBI in 15 games. But if you show optimism for Soler you get railed. Yet Soler was drafted much, much later than Voit and plays in a pitcher's park compared to the bandbox that is Yankee Stadium. It's way early, but I'd like to think all of Voit's owners were expecting much more than he's delivering. For crying out loud, just give us a big game 2-hit performance.

2 minutes ago, Baseball Batman said:

Funny, Jorge Soler has 4 HR and 13 RBI in 15 games and Voit has 4 HR and 14 RBI in 15 games. But if you show optimism for Soler you get railed. Yet Soler was drafted much, much later than Voit and plays in a pitcher's park compared to the bandbox that is Yankee Stadium. It's way early, but I'd like to think all of Voit's owners were expecting much more than he's delivering. For crying out loud, just give us a big game 2-hit performance.

Why would anyone show optimism for Soler? Everyone has been waiting since 2014 for his breakout and I doubt its going to come at this point. Voit has been disappointing but there are still encouraging signs and is a strong hold.

Both guys were drafted late so the fact that Soler was taken much later is meaningless.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Baseball Batman said:

He's been getting a lot of bad breaks. Been hitting the ball hard just at people. He may be in line for a big week at home against Boston and KC. He tore up Boston last year. 

• Like 2

For you Luke owners, Bird has been a scrub so you guys are safe. When the Yanks get some people healthy I think Bird is gone. 

1 hour ago, Baseball Batman said:

What are you talking about?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Baseball Batman said:

Voit also plays 1B is pretty shallow this year, unlike OF. If soler starts playing some first base then I'll be interested. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Evincar said:

Why would anyone show optimism for Soler? Everyone has been waiting since 2014 for his breakout and I doubt its going to come at this point. Voit has been disappointing but there are still encouraging signs and is a strong hold.

Both guys were drafted late so the fact that Soler was taken much later is meaningless.

So toiling in the minors is better for your perceived upside then struggling in the majors? Voit's been the Cards system since 2013. It's not like his development was derailed by injures (ala McNeil)

Don't get me wrong. I like Voit more than Soler because he as a much tighter approach, little better eye, better situation, etc etc. 

Voit is getting eaten alive by Sliders like Soler has for years. Even when he was red hot last year. He didn't do much off sliders(.087 ISO). Soler's never had problems crushing fastballs.

Edited by Slatykamora

4 hours ago, Baseball Batman said:

The difference is that Soler is doing enough to get people's attention out of the gate, while Voit is barely hitting.

Why is everyone so down and out on this guy lately? Sure his BA is at the Mendoza line but he is still getting on base and making solid contact with 4 homers and 14 RBIs. He has also hit safely in 8 of his last 9 games...

Andujar is still one huge question mark.  I wouldn't worry about any of that right now.  And if he can't throw the ball I wouldn't want him playing at 1B even if they don't need to make many throws.  I've thought he'd come back as only a DH but who knows right now.  Maybe they're waiting to see that Hicks and Stanton will be good to go.  With the way Frazier has looked, I'm not sure we need Andujar playing through injury to just DH.  If he can handle 3B of course but as strictly a DH not so much, unless you find out other players will be out a while.

• Like 1