tm30

Miguel Sano 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

Message added by tonycpsu

They are trying to fix him and this weekend he has shown some encouraging signs...

• Like 4

Thanks for the above post brad.  Although i dropped, I think he’ll be useful and am watching with interest.  If he improves his discipline the way he improved his body he could be a hidden gem,

1 hour ago, Cesare13 said:

Thanks for the above post brad.  Although i dropped, I think he’ll be useful and am watching with interest.  If he improves his discipline the way he improved his body he could be a hidden gem,

It should be noted that his "plate discipline" has actually been good. Both O and Z-swing% are above-average in the right directions. The problem, so far, is his contact percentage is well below the Major League average. If this adjustment allows him to make more contact, he could be dangerous.

• Like 1

Another dong and 5 for his last 12...gotta pick him up in case this swing change is for real

He has half the at bats as other players who avoided injury, and receive regular playing time.  With reg at bats he'd be close to the lead league in HR's.  I wouldn't underestimate Sano, and if he's available in your league, scoop him.

The Twins are being careful with him, and giving him more days off than we'd like, but I think their being careful to keep him healthy, get caught up with physical condition, and making him earn the playing time without treating him like a scrub.

It wasn't long ago that Sano was a major young prospect, and had a ton of hype around him as a young big time power hitter.  He definitely took his situation, and gifts for granted, but I see a humbled, talent-blessed 3b men, in the best shape he's ever been, with a swing he's tweaked to produce better contact.  On top of that, he's in a killer line up to rack up RBI's.

7th in ABs per homer, he just hasn't had enough playing time to be on any leader boards. If he can bat .240ish he'll be a great asset ROS, especially in OPS league..

Anyone know the severity of the "hand injury while attempting to field a ground ball" that made him come out of the game today? Bad hop off wrist/hand? Abrasion? 

He's actually hot as a firecracker and weekly league need an update... thanks in advance.   

Just now, LarryChip10 said:

Anyone know the severity of the "hand injury while attempting to field a ground ball" that made him come out of the game today? Bad hop off wrist/hand? Abrasion? 

He's actually hot as a firecracker and weekly league need an update... thanks in advance.   

Dove for a ball and his glove hand rolled up on him. He stayed in the game. He was pinch run later in the game when they were up by a bunch. Likely fine as Rocco is super conservative with injuries and would've pulled him earlier if there was large concern. Maybe a day or two off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bradwatson said:

He's suddenly a stud again.

Again? Other than a hot April which led to a solid first half in 2017, his entire MLB career has been a major letdown considering he was once the top power hitting prospect in baseball.

3 hours ago, Dislimb said:

Again? Other than a hot April which led to a solid first half in 2017, his entire MLB career has been a major letdown considering he was once the top power hitting prospect in baseball.

first 3 years total (2 years worth of games 310gp) he had 71 hrs, 195 rbis, 178 runs, with solid ops. and avg around 255-260

not bad for ages 22-24 seasons.

his career 162 game avg is still 38/100 

think major let down has more to do with health rather than talent/production

Edited by colepenhagen
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, colepenhagen said:

first 3 years total (2 years worth of games 310gp) he had 71 hrs, 195 rbis, 178 runs, with solid ops. and avg around 255-260

not bad for ages 22-24 seasons.

his career 162 game avg is still 38/100 

think major let down has more to do with health rather than talent/production

His career AVG is .244 and he’s never played more than 116 games in a season. He’s never hit .270 in a season, he’s never had 29 HR in a season, he’s never had 78 RBI in a season, he’s never scored 76 runs in a season and he doesn’t steal bases. He has not ever been a “stud” as implied earlier. Even the best year he’s ever had in 2017 (.264, 28 HR, 77 RBI, 75 R, 0 SB) doesn’t make him anything close to a “stud” and there really isn’t any argument anybody can make to the contrary. I own him on my main team this year and hope he continues to hit but he was simply a waiver wire pickup/dart throw and nothing more. 

14 minutes ago, Dislimb said:

His career AVG is .244 and he’s never played more than 116 games in a season. He’s never hit .270 in a season, he’s never had 29 HR in a season, he’s never had 78 RBI in a season, he’s never scored 76 runs in a season and he doesn’t steal bases. He has not ever been a “stud” as implied earlier. Even the best year he’s ever had in 2017 (.264, 28 HR, 77 RBI, 75 R, 0 SB) doesn’t make him anything close to a “stud” and there really isn’t any argument anybody can make to the contrary. I own him on my main team this year and hope he continues to hit but he was simply a waiver wire pickup/dart throw and nothing more. 

ha like I already said health is the only knock on him

and if you were expecting sb then I don't know what to tell you

20 minutes ago, Dislimb said:

You said it. Hes never played more than 116 games.  Whatever "never done ______ in a season" stuff really shouldn't apply.  Id say hes dissapointed so far, but youre talking about a former uber prospect that has put up numbers not too disimliar from rhys hoskins (who is older than sano) 3 of the last 5 years.  Does that make him a "stud"?  Not if your definition of stud is first rounder.  I dont think he"ll he'll ever be one.   But i wouldn't dismiss this guy as waiver fodder. Especially when you see tbe shape hes in compared to previous years.  

42 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

ha like I already said health is the only knock on him

and if you were expecting sb then I don't know what to tell you

If course I don’t expect SB from a guy who’s never done it. I was merely implying that he doesn’t do it as a bonus and/or to make up for a crappy average (like Jose Ramirez earlier this year when he was in his mega slump) as another knock against him.

Sano looks like an Adam Dunn type in terms of AVG/HR/RBI but will score fewer runs due to not getting on base nearly as much. Dunn used to be drafted in double digit rounds due to the AVG sink despite his good power numbers. Sano should be treated no differently, especially with the juiced balls that we have so clearly been hit with. Power is easier to find than ever.

Edited by Dislimb

2 hours ago, Dislimb said:

Nobody is arguing that he's been a model of health, but when he has been healthy he has mostly been a solid fantasy contributor and at times a stud, especially in OPS leagues. His at bats per homer ratio of 11.2 currently ranks 7th in the majors behind only Yelich, Trout, Bellinger, Renfroe, Gallo, and Alonso. So he's in elite company as a homerun hitter right now when everyone is hitting homers. There have been other times where he has been one of the best power hitters in the game as well. He's a .240ish average guy so don't expect much there, but he's contributing in power and OPS and has at other times in his career. Even with an absolutely disastrous 2018 he has a career .826 OPS. He's basically Gallo lite, he just needs to stay healthy for once.

And what you fail to mention is that in 2017 (his best year) he put up those counting stats in only 114 games. If he had continued near that level for the full season he would have pushed 40 homers, 100 runs, 100 RBIs, and had a decent average. He was a stud that year, he just got hurt (as always).

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

He left with a hand injury yesterday. Hopefully it doesn't cause a lengthy absence. 

Anybody see any updated news?  Would crush weekly leagues if he's out for a few games.

1 minute ago, Tugginroot said:

Anybody see any updated news?  Would crush weekly leagues if he's out for a few games.

I looked and saw nothing.Probably won't find out till tomorrow before game time if it's anything that will cause him to miss time.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

I looked and saw nothing.Probably won't find out till tomorrow before game time if it's anything that will cause him to miss time.

Yeah...at this point, unless you have no other reasonable alternative, he has to sit in a weekly league imo.

• Like 1

He's been really good lately. The Twins have been awesome offensively this season and Sano is second in OPS on the team behind Nelly. Great Twitter thread on his performance post swing change...

• Like 4