Rotoworld.com Forums

Daniel Murphy 2019 Outlook

11 minutes ago, Nightmare130 said:

Per Fantasy Pros:

Fantasy Impact:

Murphy isn't in Colorado's lineup today and now we know why. The veteran slugger injured his finger in a defensive play last night. The Rockies reportedly don't think it's serious so the X-rays sound like they're just a precaution.

Hopefully he's ok, fingers crossed.. Pun intended lol

I'll go with your one.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For the visually inclined:

Daniel Murphy career BA vs. lefties- .279 Mark Reynolds career BA vs. lefties- .234

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

I agree that McMahon and Hampson will be fixtures this season but they won't box out Murphy. Bye bye Ian Desmond!

All this is going to do is temporarily get Mark Reynolds some starts at 1st against RHP and ensure Hampson will be in the lineup against LHP. Desmond isn’t getting benched. 

Edited by Magoo
  • Like 2
10 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

By then the combo of McMahon / Hampson will have him boxed out of the line-up.

I don’t care how good those guys are doing, they’re not keeping Murphy out of the lineup when he comes back healthy. 

• Like 1

Manager Bud Black said Murphy has an “avulsion fracture, mallet finger, there’s a lot of terms I’m hearing.” 

So it's like he hit his finger with a mallet. Just from sliding back into a bag?? Jesus...

Not good.

An avulsion fracture is when a small the area of bone that a tendon attaches to breaks free and remains attached to the tendon.  Results in an inability to contract the joint in the direction the tendon is no longer attached.  In Murphys case, he can't straighten his finger, likely the pointer finger at the distal knuckle but I don't know that detail.  The tendon needs to be surgically reattached and allowed to heal to the point it can withstand baseball forces before he returns.

• Like 4
29 minutes ago, Deke said:

What are they waiting for to IL him?

Thye didn’t IL him yesterday because they couldn’t get someone to Miami in time. I’ve seen reports they’re bringing vailaika up to take his spot. They’ll likely officially IL him around the time they put out their lineup, no later than tonight’s game.

20 minutes ago, treat88 said:

An avulsion fracture is when a small the area of bone that a tendon attaches to breaks free and remains attached to the tendon.  Results in an inability to contract the joint in the direction the tendon is no longer attached.  In Murphys case, he can't straighten his finger, likely the pointer finger at the distal knuckle but I don't know that detail.  The tendon needs to be surgically reattached and allowed to heal to the point it can withstand baseball forces before he returns.

For the visually inclined:

mallet-finger.jpg

malletfinger_300.jpg

• Like 4
3 hours ago, treat88 said:

Well said, though my one area of quibble would be that I don’t necessarily think surgery is a given. From a recent study (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/15925171/) there didn’t appear to be a large difference in outcomes between surgical vs non surgical management. As a Murphy owner I’m hoping for the latter choice so he can return to action sooner, though it’ll still be immobilized for a while.

43 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Well said, though my one area of quibble would be that I don’t necessarily think surgery is a given. From a recent study (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/15925171/) there didn’t appear to be a large difference in outcomes between surgical vs non surgical management. As a Murphy owner I’m hoping for the latter choice so he can return to action sooner, though it’ll still be immobilized for a while.

Agreed and fair assessment.  Without knowing the status of the tendon or amount of retraction its not certain what the course will be. 

Non surgical is certainly what I'd be hoping for as well. 

• Like 1