jfazz23

Daniel Murphy 2019 Outlook

10 minutes ago, FoulPole said:

Wtf sitting two days in a row... 

Sore back. Was facing Ray anyways who is tough on LH hitters so they rested him one more day. He'll be back out there next 2 games vs RHP. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mexi1024 said:

Sore back. Was facing Ray anyways who is tough on LH hitters so they rested him one more day. He'll be back out there next 2 games vs RHP. 

No biggie then. Was thinking he reaggravated the finger or something.

Sitting against another lefty today (2nd day in a row). I assume won't be a season long ordeal but what the hell are the Rockies doing? It'd be understandable if they were platooning Murphy with Nolan Arenado or something insane like that but it's Mark Reynolds - who has a worse avg vs LHP than Murphy

What

the hell

are

the Rockies

doing

Edited by tonycpsu

Bud gonna Bud, of course, so it's possible he really is sitting a healthy Murphy for an even worse platoon option.  But I'm also wondering if Murphy's back is acting up again, or if he's nursing some other undisclosed injury.  Teams seem to be extremely tight-lipped about this sort of thing lately, and while he is getting PAs off the bench, maybe they just want to limit his time in the field to get back to full health again.

16 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Sitting against another lefty today (2nd day in a row). I assume won't be a season long ordeal but what the hell are the Rockies doing? It'd be understandable if they were platooning Murphy with Nolan Arenado or something insane like that but it's Mark Reynolds - who has a worse avg vs LHP than Murphy

What

the hell

are

the Rockies

doing

It sucks but I’m not the least bit surprised. The moment in spring training they announced Reynolds was making the team I feared this would happen. Unfortunately by that team I had already drafted a bunch of Murphy shares. Maybe with a hot streak he’ll push Reynolds to the bench, but Murphy sucks right now. He’s not barreling anything, his exit velo stinks, and his hard hit rate is lousy. He looks benchable in weekly leagues when they’re facing more than one lefty in that week.

So he really is a platoon player now. Cool.

It's funny how the Rockies went from being fantasy paradise for hitters to a fantasy nightmare outside of their elite players like Arenado and Story

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Del Rio said:

It's funny how the Rockies went from being fantasy paradise for hitters to a fantasy nightmare outside of their elite players like Arenado and Story

Higher chance of that happening when you push your chips to the middle of the table on old, washed up, injury prone players.

2 hours ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Higher chance of that happening when you push your chips to the middle of the table on old, washed up, injury prone players.

Maybe he’s washed up maybe not. He got hit on the finger, that’s a freak injury. Dudes a proven hitter, let him play until he gets hurt or proves he’s washed up. This crap they are pulling is just stupid. 

• Like 2

Has significantly better walk and strikeout rates than his career average this year.  Over a full season he's on pace for 100 rbi and runs.  Just let the guy play!

Marks earning his PT with that .171 avg and .720 OPS this year in 35 AB's vs LHP. Dude deserves to play every day with that overall .195 avg and .720 OPS. I mean forget the fact that Murphy is hitting .294 with a .765 OPS in his 17 AB's vs LHP this year. Or forget the fact that Murphy has an OPS over .800 vs LHP over 350+ AB's the last 3 seasons. Forget the fact that Murphy had a .310 avg and .850 OPS post-allstar break last year once he recovered from his injury. Forget the fact that Murphy had .950 OPS in 2016-2017. Forget the fact that Reynolds has barely sniffed .800 OPS the last 6 years of his career.

Bud Black for Manager of the year!!!! This is the largest bonehead platoon I've ever seen. 

• Like 1

During the broadcast last night when he came in to pinch hit, the announcers mentioned he’s dealing with some back tightness.  Not sure if that’s true but I’m wondering if Bud is just playing it safe while the weather is still cool and they’re facing 8 straight lefties so they can have a healthy Murphy for the whole summer.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Von Hayes said:

During the broadcast last night when he came in to pinch hit, the announcers mentioned he’s dealing with some back tightness.  Not sure if that’s true but I’m wondering if Bud is just playing it safe while the weather is still cool and they’re facing 8 straight lefties so they can have a healthy Murphy for the whole summer.  

I think you’re giving bud black to much credit. More likely that he’s just a moron

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, phisouza33 said:

I think you’re giving bud black to much credit. More likely that he’s just a moron

both theories aren't mutually exclusive

• Like 1

Just a disaster to own in weekly leagues this year.

Sad at the waste of draft capital. Guy is in such a good situation too. Normally avoid injury prone guys but this felt irresistible and has pretty much been a worst case scenario.