Sidearmer

Jurickson Profar 2019 Outlook

It's one thing for Bob Melvin to wait on his hitting, if he was playing good defense, but he's currently playing poorly on both sides and that made me drop him, as I'm now concerned about playing time. He will remain on my watch list, as this has got to be mental.

Edited by PhilaFanBoy

9 hours ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

It's one thing for Bob Melvin to wait on his hitting, if he was playing good defense, but he's currently playing poorly on both sides and that made me drop him, as I'm now concerned about playing time. He will remain on my watch list, as this has got to be mental.

He has the yips

Another throwing error, after getting 2 games off to clear his head. I keep tracking him because 2B is so thin, but he might be doomed to the scrap heap.

Showing signs of life again for those who have anymore patience.

11 hours ago, Trexpenniebaker said:

Don't be fooled by this very short burst of life. He still can't hit field or run bases. Fact is he is still useless.

I completely disagree. This is a player who went 20/10 last year with a near .800 OPS while having eligibility at 1B, 2B, 3B, and SS. He hit 35 doubles, 6 triples, and wasn't caught stealing in any 10 of his stolen base attempts. 

Since the calendar flipped to May he's hiting .318/.375/.636 in 22 AB. Small sample, yes, but it's not like his 78 April ABs was a large enough sample to simply erase his breakout last year. 

Last year he was MUCH better as the season progressed and the weather warmed up:

April '18: .243/.341/.351

May '18: .229/.283/.468

June '18: .253/.352/.473

July '18: .288/.377/.439

August '18: .278/.365/.500

September '18: .245/.304/.489

Pre-ASB: .243/.326/.430

Post-ASB: .270/.348/.498

It goes without saying that Profar is not that exciting in shallow mixed leagues, but there are plenty of formats where he is far from "useless." 

• Like 3

I still think he is useful in a lot of leagues. But I dropped him nonetheless in a shallow league last week. Just have so many roster slots and this is the kind of guy to drop for someone with upside. 

8 hits, 5 R, 3 HR, 7 RBI, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts in his last 21 at-bats. Also his exit velocity in the month of May is 89.3mph, compared to 85.4mph from March/April. Last year, his exit velocity was 87mph. Source.

• Like 4

It doesn't have any major impact on his fantasy output, but his defense has been spectacular lately as well. Guy is firing on all cylinders right now.

• Like 1

It's becoming more and more obvious his poor April was just that... a poor April. 

He's posting a .274/.366/.548 line thus far in May, and he's suddenly on pace for a ~25 HR/~90 RBI campaign. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, mjb03003 said:

It's becoming more and more obvious his poor April was just that... a poor April. 

He's posting a .274/.366/.548 line thus far in May, and he's suddenly on pace for a ~25 HR/~90 RBI campaign. 

Or maybe in June we will see his good May was just that, a good May. /shrug

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, tscherrer2 said:

Or maybe in June we will see his good May was just that, a good May. /shrug

I already posted his splits from last season, but he had a ~.750 OPS in May and a ~.800+ OPS every month from June on last season. The outlier in the past year+ has been March/April 2019. 

Edited by mjb03003

Profar seems to be getting into a groove lately. Could be helpful in a lot of leagues for owners with his eligibility too, if he can keep this up.

10 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Sitting two days in a row.  May be time to old yeller

I did a couple of days ago...probably the best feeling I’ve had in fantasy this year aside from dropping Shaw. 

4 minutes ago, loro1991 said:

3 Hr’s past 6 AB’s. Probably nothing but I am picking up hoping I can catch lightning in a bottle 

I feel like he's done this a couple of times this year. Puts together a nice little streak, then falls back to earth.

3 minutes ago, loro1991 said:

3 Hr’s past 6 AB’s. Probably nothing but I am picking up hoping I can catch lightning in a bottle 

Same here.

It's hard to believe that last year was a total fluke given that he is actually a talented hitter, so maybe he's finally figured it out again.  We'll see.

His playing time has been an issue of late understandably, but since he's actually gotten hot, you would think they would continue to play him until he gives them a reason not to.  It's not like they have that much behind him.

• Like 1

Just now, KilloWertz said:

Same here.

It's hard to believe that last year was a total fluke given that he is actually a talented hitter, so maybe he's finally figured it out again.  We'll see.

His playing time has been an issue of late understandably, but since he's actually gotten hot, you would think they would continue to play him until he gives them a reason not to.  It's not like they have that much behind him.

Yeah baretto isn’t much of an obstacle. Between the pedigree and 2nd half he had last year, I’ll just say weirder things have happened than him having value down the stretch. 

2 minutes ago, kwelch said:

I feel like he's done this a couple of times this year. Puts together a nice little streak, then falls back to earth.

He has, but it's impossible to know if this would have been a much bigger stretch than just a few good games like earlier since he's played sporadically during this latest one.  I'd say at the very least he's worth a look to see where this goes from here.

1 minute ago, loro1991 said:

Yeah baretto isn’t much of an obstacle. Between the pedigree and 2nd half he had last year, I’ll just say weirder things have happened than him having value down the stretch. 

Not at all.  For whatever reason, Baretto can only hit minor league pitching.  Obviously that happens to a lot of players, but anyways, there's little to lose with taking a gamble on Profar's recent hot streak (other than some batting average if it doesn't work out of course).

What’s up with profar this year?

i didn’t expect him to be a star but he’s been terrible.  His strikeout rate is around 15% and his BABIP is just above .200.

is he getting unlucky? Not hitting the ball hard? He’s putting the ball In play but not getting hits.