Fort4242

Dante Pettis 2019 Outlook

49 minutes ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

The thing is, Pettis does not suck. He was electric in college and showed flashes last year too, he is loaded with talent. The camp issues are definitely concerning and his ADP is very high so I can see why people are avoiding but if he falls I’m not scared to draft him. 

Fair. I might have been throwing the baby out with the bathwater a bit there. Definitely things to like about the player. Just dont think the camp reports should be taken lightly. 

If you look at pettis's Instagram, just looks like he's more concerned of his image, could be a diva in the making...

Just an outside view looking in, I don't think I want any shares tbh

Pettis never impressed me in college and did nothing for me while watching him last year.  Hard pass.

Edited by Sternes
added some clarity

Just now, Sternes said:

Pettis never impressed me in college and did nothing for me last year.  Hard pass.

I'd rather go for the rookie Samuel tbh. Dude works hard and could seize an opportunity.

3 minutes ago, CABLE87 said:

I'd rather go for the rookie Samuel tbh. Dude works hard and could seize an opportunity.

I will have to look at him.  I honestly haven't looked too hard at the SF WR situation.  Pettis isn't even as good as his brother.

This guy will end up on a lot of my teams this year. 

One of the best in the league at getting separation last year statistically as a rookie due to his blend of route running and athleticism. 

Love seeing Deebo and Hurd take the headlines for his stock...

The fact that Pettis didn’t play much is a big positive for me. 

Yesterday’s quote from Shanny is indeed concerning. What has changed about him from the guy last year who I believe led all WRs last year in YAC per reception (7.93) and had 18.7 ppg in his last four games he finished? Entitlement? Poor work ethic? I’m really hoping he turns it around. He has a golden opportunity. I assume Kittle will be option 1, and now it looks like option 2 could be between Pettis and Deebo?

3 hours ago, PolarBear said:

This guy will end up on a lot of my teams this year. 

One of the best in the league at getting separation last year statistically as a rookie due to his blend of route running and athleticism. 

Love seeing Deebo and Hurd take the headlines for his stock...

The fact that Pettis didn’t play much is a big positive for me. 

Do you mean best of rookies at getting separation, or best among all receivers?

23 minutes ago, Sternes said:

Just pull out some of his 2018 highlights you’ll see. The man gets open. 

4 minutes ago, JP_Grizzly said:

Just pull out some of his 2018 highlights you’ll see. The man gets open. 

I watched him and wasn't impressed.  That didn't answer the question I had.

3 hours ago, Sternes said:

No he was legitimately one of the best in the league at getting separation. Something like an average of 4.4 yards of separation per target I believe off the top of my head. 

Being slight comparatively, I think he'd be miscast as a z-slot primary. But if they're successful running the football, triggering more zone, that helps. Setting screens, picks, moving him around the formation does too. 

Edited by markrc99

8 hours ago, PolarBear said:

No he was legitimately one of the best in the league at getting separation. Something like an average of 4.4 yards of separation per target I believe off the top of my head. 

He had an average separation of 3.4, good enough for 18th in the league, 10th for wide receivers.

The receivers who top this list are a bit strange, though:

1. Chris Hogan

2. Chester Rodgers

3. Adam Humphries

4. Cooper Kupp

5. Dede Westbrook

6. Taylor Gabriel

7. Ryan Switzer

8. Nelson Agholor

9. Sammy Watkins

10. Dante Pettis

11. Tyler Lockett

12. Will Fuller

I think guys who don't get a lot of targets and have a few plays where they are wide open skew well on this stat. That's the only sense I can make of this list. 

As for Pettis, his post-camp deflation is a bit confusing. A lot of people are expecting a big step forward for this offense and George Kittle can't do it himself. The 9ers neglected to make any WR moves in free agency, despite being rumored after the top guys. That made me think they were happy with what they had. Suddenly news is leaking that their break-out candidate from last year, Goodwin might not even make the roster and their break-out candidate circa 4 months ago, Pettis is in the dog house. 

What is the answer here? The rookie Hurd? If that's the answer then there is no answer and none of these receivers are worth drafting. 

Edited by P@ckersFan
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, P@ckersFan said:

He had an average separation of 3.4, good enough for 18th in the league, 10th for wide receivers.

1. Chris Hogan

2. Chester Rodgers

3. Adam Humphries

4. Cooper Kupp

5. Dede Westbrook

6. Taylor Gabriel

7. Ryan Switzer

8. Nelson Agholor

9. Sammy Watkins

10. Dante Pettis

11. Tyler Lockett

12. Will Fuller

I think guys who don't get a lot of targets and have a few plays where they are wide open skew well on this stat. That's the only sense I can make of this list. 

Kupp is the only one in the top 30 of consensus rankings at WR for 2019. No Hill? No Diggs? No OBJ? No Cooks? Seems like just a random stat not really worth trying to make a point with. 

Goodwin is going in the 13th round and there’s absolutely no way I don’t target him instead of Pettis who is going in the 7th. 

I don’t think the situation is as clear as experts make it to be. Plus, Goodwin is basically another version of T. Hill in terms of size and athleticism. Problem is, last year they didn’t have a QB worth a damn that could hit him. 

I like Pettis. I loved him at U-DUB and even got to see him play in person a handful of times. That being said, the situation isn’t clear and it seems like he’s a guy that is having his ADP driven way above where it belongs. 

8 minutes ago, P@ckersFan said:

1. Chris Hogan

2. Chester Rodgers

3. Adam Humphries

4. Cooper Kupp

5. Dede Westbrook

6. Taylor Gabriel

7. Ryan Switzer

8. Nelson Agholor

9. Sammy Watkins

10. Dante Pettis

11. Tyler Lockett

12. Will Fuller

This the nfl next gen stat average separation

Average Separation (SEP)

The distance (in yards) measured between a WR/TE and the nearest defender at the time of catch or incompletion.

Not a good representation of separation imo

13 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Goodwin is going in the 13th round and there’s absolutely no way I don’t target him instead of Pettis who is going in the 7th. 

I don’t think the situation is as clear as experts make it to be. Plus, Goodwin is basically another version of T. Hill in terms of size and athleticism. Problem is, last year they didn’t have a QB worth a damn that could hit him. 

I like Pettis. I loved him at U-DUB and even got to see him play in person a handful of times. That being said, the situation isn’t clear and it seems like he’s a guy that is having his ADP driven way above where it belongs. 

Great point in going with the potential value in latter rounds. Even Deebo Samuel is making waves and he is going in the 16th.

2 hours ago, JP_Grizzly said:

This the nfl next gen stat average separation

Average Separation (SEP)

The distance (in yards) measured between a WR/TE and the nearest defender at the time of catch or incompletion.

Not a good representation of separation imo

It’s another useless stat that when you look at the actual players leading it you realize it proves absolutely nothing. 

A million things can lead to separation at the time of catch or incompletion. If you notice the list has a lot of low volume big play receivers. When you don’t have a ton of catches and you tend to have chunk plays with huge separation it’ll skew the data. Not being an elite WR also helps as you don’t always have two guys hounding you. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nonstopfan said:

Great point in going with the potential value in latter rounds. Even Deebo Samuel is making waves and he is going in the 16th.

Looking like the better pick that’ll soar into the 13th I think.

49ers coach Kyle Shanahan insists Dante Pettis must "compete" for his starting role.

"We’re trying to see who our starting receivers are and I wanted to get him a chance to get out there," said Shanahan, explaining his reasoning for playing Pettis while resting others including Jimmy Garoppolo, George Kittle, Tevin Coleman and Matt Breida in Saturday's preseason opener. "Dante has a lot of room to grow. He can still get a lot better." Earlier this offseason it appeared Pettis had a starting job in the bag, but apparently that's not the case. Pettis goose-egged (he was only targeted once) over his 17 snaps against the Cowboys on Saturday while Jalen Hurd starred with two touchdowns. Second-round rookie Deebo Samuel also made an impact for San Francisco, delivering a highlight-reel 45-yard catch on a deep bomb from C.J. Beathard. With Hurd and Samuel both coming on strong, now would be a good time for Pettis to pick up the pace.

Aug 12, 2019, 9:14 AM ET

This kid was certainly a star last season, maybe he's just resting on his laurels too much and thus the uneven camp.  Concerning as he's just a young kid who hasn't achieved enough to be complacent like this.  I'd like to see more defined roles.  If it's going to be some rotation of Pettis, Samuel, Goodwin, and Hurd (with presumably Trent Taylor manning the slot when healthy), then it's not going to be very good for fantasy purposes.  Wondering if the whole Niners passing game outside of Kittle is just a hands-off situation.

I’m never happy when a coach has to come out with a "motivating" quote for a young player. There's all the reason in the world for him to be motivated, especially when they took 2 more WRS in the top 3 rounds. I can see Pettis being a Djax lite type of player. Good wr3 option when paired with high floor WRS