Fort4242

Dante Pettis 2019 Outlook

I feel there's good value here. Someone has to catch balls on San Francisco. We know Shanahan loves to throw the ball. Kittle is solid, but I just don't see him quite repeating his 2018. And even if Kittle does, some WR should have value. Goodwin's not bad, but don't feel he's that good either. He's 29 and had one season over 500 yards. We know what he is. Everyone else is a bit of an unknown, but I like Pettis' chances over a slew of unproven rookies

• Like 1

What happened to this dude today? Only 1 target for 7 yards? Meanwhile Kittle soaks up 10 of Jimmy’s 27 passes? I’m afraid no pass catcher except Kittle is worthy of a roster spot. Utterly useless. 

Just now, CooL said:

What happened to this dude today? Only 1 target for 7 yards? Meanwhile Kittle soaks up 10 of Jimmy’s 27 passes? I’m afraid no pass catcher except Kittle is worthy of a roster spot. Utterly useless. 

He played 2 snaps.

Shanahan is going all-in on the tough love approach with him.

If that works, we'll be in great shape 

9 minutes ago, SadFaceHappy said:

He played 2 snaps.

Shanahan is going all-in on the tough love approach with him.

If that works, we'll be in great shape 

Wow, I didn’t watch the game. So at least that explains the game. This is going to be a frustrating season owning him...

2 snaps and he was targeted on one of them.  Interesting...

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, dennymac said:

Before I drop him, just out of curiosity, what exactly was the hype based on?

I believe over the last 8 games to finish the season, he was a top 11 receiver. With Cj Bethard at QB. 

• Like 1

"He had health issues," Shanahan told reporters after the game. "That's why he missed a week of practice. He just got cleared to come back on Monday, so he was a little behind the 8 ball on that. But he didn't start the game, and we didn't have a ton of long drives where we got into the substitution flow.

"He went into this game backing up, and when he did go in there, from everything I saw live, he did a hell of a job. So hopefully, he'll work off that and continue to earn some more time out there."

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/128046-shanahan-explains-dante-pettis-limited-playing-49ers-buccaneers/

This seems really dumb to me, but what do I know. I would just think you should put your best guys on the field. And I had thought Pettis was legitimately their best WR. Now Shanahan is saying he needs "to earn some more time out there".

All I can say is wtf.

Also it was a really weird game.  Two defensive TDs?  Shanahan is basically saying this was Pettis's preseason warmup game.

Did he start?  Is there a way to see who the actual starters are before the game?  Or is that not public info like NBA?

Some kind of warning would have been nice...

• Like 1

Yeah I agree.. Jimmy G had 166 yards passing and as you said the two defensive TD's so I don't think we can take anything definitive from this game in regards to the San Fran receiving core in general aside from Kittle being the only sure fire stud.. Does anyone know the snap breakdown of the other WR's?

Next week should have a more normal game flow I would hope so we can decipher this situation..

Edited by NyZD

11 minutes ago, mmm sod said:

Did he start?  Is there a way to see who the actual starters are before the game?  Or is that not public info like NBA?

Usually you wanna catch a blurb about it right before start on Rotoworld or one of the pre-game shows or Twitter, but it's not always announced for lesser known players like this one

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, mmm sod said:

There was a Rotoworld blurb about him still being #1 on the depth chart about a week ago, so only two snaps was a surprise. (To think I almost considered running him out there over Fitzgerald! Lol) I’m not sure what’s up between him and Shanahan, and I just don’t think Shanahan is as good of a coach as he gets credit for, and the Niners offense doesn’t look very good. Kittle is the only bankable player in that offense. Jimmy G has been meh, and now Coleman and Breida are injured/dehydrated. To me Pettis is an easy drop in all but the deepest of leagues until he shows us something.

Edited by kraftwrk_5

5 hours ago, pbjfb said:

Usually you wanna catch a blurb about it right before start on Rotoworld or one of the pre-game shows or Twitter, but it's not always announced for lesser known players like this one

Yea that's pretty annoying.  With all of the people writing about fantasy, you'd think the 'WR1' on a 'shoot-out' game not starting would get mentioned.  That's why I was wondering if there is something official so you don't have to count on Roto giving a s--- about the player.

Edited by mmm sod

5 hours ago, kraftwrk_5 said:

There was a Rotoworld blurb about him still being #1 on the depth chart about a week ago, so only two snaps was a surprise. (To think I almost considered running him out there over Fitzgerald! Lol) I’m not sure what’s up between him and Shanahan, and I just don’t think Shanahan is as good of a coach as he gets credit for, and the Niners offense doesn’t look very good. Kittle is the only bankable player in that offense. Jimmy G has been meh, and now Coleman and Breida are injured/dehydrated. To me Pettis is an easy drop in all but the deepest of leagues until he shows us something.

This is part of what's annoying about Rotoworld tho.  They posted that unofficial depth chart as a front page headline and then never mentioned he wasn't warming up with the starters.  Wish they would not say anything if they aren't going to follow with their reporting. through near gametime.

• Like 2

Pretty annoyed that he was hurt going in and only got 2 snaps.  I had to sit AB and my reserve choices were Pettis or Crowder and I went with Pettis since he was playing vs TB and the game figured to be a shootout.  Oh well. I think he'll be relevant at some point this season but he's droppable if there's a guy on waivers that you think has the goods for the season.  No one is going to pick up Pettis if you let him go. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dicka24 said:

Pretty annoyed that he was hurt going in and only got 2 snaps.  I had to sit AB and my reserve choices were Pettis or Crowder and I went with Pettis since he was playing vs TB and the game figured to be a shootout.  Oh well. I think he'll be relevant at some point this season but he's droppable if there's a guy on waivers that you think has the goods for the season.  No one is going to pick up Pettis if you let him go. 

I like Crowder there.  Should be a target monster.   Also, Pettis coming off an injury.   He might be limited on opening day.