Fort4242

Dante Pettis 2019 Outlook

4 hours ago, GreenMountainPhan said:

Dropped for Diontae Johnson.

Dropped. Last week. And then sat and contemplated who I wanted to fill that roster space w. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, dudewithabadcat said:

Hurd will take over when he gets back

Not impossible, but what makes you say that?

I highly doubt that happens. 

14 minutes ago, munde53 said:

Not impossible, but what makes you say that?

I highly doubt that happens. 

The 49rs drafted a WR in the 2nd and 3rd despite Pettis being on the roster already. Not exactly a ringing endorsement for Pettis' value on the team.

Edited by sSektor

9 minutes ago, sSektor said:

The 49rs drafted a WR in the 2nd and 3rd despite Pettis being on the roster already. Not exactly a ringing endorsement for Pettis' value on the team.

Teams play more than one receiver. 

32 minutes ago, gbill2004 said:

Teams play more than one receiver. 

And Pettis has barely been one of them.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, sSektor said:

Sure, the Steelers drafted JuJu in the 2nd despite already having Antonio Brown on the roster. Then the Steelers drafted James Washington in the 2nd round when they already had JuJu and Antonio on the roster. The Vikings drafted Laquon Tredwell in the 1st despite already having Thielen and Diggs on the roster. The Texans drafted Will Fuller in the 1st despite already having Hopkins on the roster, Chargers drafted Mike Williams in the 1st despite already having Keenan Allen and Tyrell Williams, Falcons drafted Ridley in the 1st despite already having Julio. The list goes on and on and on....

Your point has no basis other than simply stating a fact that they drafted two receivers early in 2019. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, sSektor said:

And Pettis has barely been one of them.

He played the 2nd most WR snaps for the 49ers in week 2.

I get he didn't produce any numbers, which is obviously what we're looking for, but there is a (very) slight reason for optimism. 

I dropped. If he becomes a thing, then so be it. It seems like there are five receivers in heavy rotation on this team, and nobody is going to dominate with 80 to 90% of snaps. I just don’t want to play that guessing game, never mind that he hasn’t produced.

24 minutes ago, Fried Pork Grind said:

He’s gonna get the ball and be way more involved. Season is early. 

It has to happen this week or the dream is dead. At least 5 targets and 3 or 4 catches or his relevance in even the deepest of leagues is officially gone.

On 9/22/2019 at 7:22 AM, ajs723 said:

It has to happen this week or the dream is dead. At least 5 targets and 3 or 4 catches or his relevance in even the deepest of leagues is officially gone.

Wow, right on the money.  He had 5 targets, 4 catches, 20 yards and a TD.

1 hour ago, Kilo said:

Wow, right on the money.  He had 5 targets, 4 catches, 20 yards and a TD.

And so, he holds onto a sliver of value. 4 for 20 doesn't exactly inspire confidence, but he caught the game winning TD, and had another red zone target.

20 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

And so, he holds onto a sliver of value. 4 for 20 doesn't exactly inspire confidence, but he caught the game winning TD, and had another red zone target.

He was also the 2nd most targeted player behind Kittle but he only played the 3rd most WR snaps behind Goodwin and Samuel.

After his TD the entire team seemed to rally behind him and he was visibly emotional. Maybe this will be the moment the fire gets lit under his butt and he decides to live up to his potential. 

That being said he needs to play on more than 42% of snaps to be fantasy relevant again. The way the 49ers rotate receivers is really odd as none of them played in more than 67% of their snaps.

1 minute ago, munde53 said:

He was also the 2nd most targeted player behind Kittle but he only played the 3rd most WR snaps behind Goodwin and Samuel.

After his TD the entire team seemed to rally behind him and he was visibly emotional. Maybe this will be the moment the fire gets lit under his butt and he decides to live up to his potential. 

That being said he needs to play on more than 42% of snaps to be fantasy relevant again. The way the 49ers rotate receivers is really odd as none of them played in more than 67% of their snaps.

WRBC ... and draft wünderkind Jalen Hurd on sched to be unleashed after the bye 🤔

The problem with SF it would seem is that they have an offense by committee.  RBBC, WRBC.  I'm waiting for the TEBC and the QBBC.

The hope in rostering Pettis is that his snap share will grow.  He started last game along with Marquise Goodwin.  I don't get the Goodwin love, he's a one trick pony.  So it seems like he's competing with Deebo Samuel for looks and role?  I think he's got a shot to establish himself as the #1 like we all thought he would be coming into the season.  Hopefully now that he's healthier and everybody has confidence in him that it will lead to more production.

He's worth a roster spot if you have the room to find out.  And if your platform allows it, you could even pick him up for free before tonight's game since he was on a bye.

1 hour ago, CooL said:

The problem with SF it would seem is that they have an offense by committee.  RBBC, WRBC.  I'm waiting for the TEBC and the QBBC.

The hope in rostering Pettis is that his snap share will grow.  He started last game along with Marquise Goodwin.  I don't get the Goodwin love, he's a one trick pony.  So it seems like he's competing with Deebo Samuel for looks and role?  I think he's got a shot to establish himself as the #1 like we all thought he would be coming into the season.  Hopefully now that he's healthier and everybody has confidence in him that it will lead to more production.

He's worth a roster spot if you have the room to find out.  And if your platform allows it, you could even pick him up for free before tonight's game since he was on a bye.

I agree, plus Hurd is coming back into the mix. I think Garap is going to throw for a bunch of 300+ Yd games this season, but they spread it around so much between Kittle, the backs, and now 4 WRs when Hurd gets healthy. Who do you take: Pettis, Deebo, or Hurd?? One may emerge as “the guy”, but I have no clue who that would be...

There was a recent report that Pettis not only had that groin issue but also a pectoral strain to get over. He should be close to 100% following the bye & we should start to really see what he can do

2 minutes ago, firsttimer said:

I agree, plus Hurd is coming back into the mix. I think Garap is going to throw for a bunch of 300+ Yd games this season, but they spread it around so much between Kittle, the backs, and now 4 WRs when Hurd gets healthy. Who do you take: Pettis, Deebo, or Hurd?? One may emerge as “the guy”, but I have no clue who that would be...

Well, it's unrealistic and foolish to roster all 3 or 4.  Gotta take your pick and hold to see what develops next week.  I think with the bye to figure things out, Pettis getting healthier, there is a possibility that it could be him.  He was great at the end of last year which is why everybody was so high on him coming into the year.  Not a lot of great waiver options this week so if there's a time to pick him up, it would be now.

On 9/30/2019 at 12:20 PM, CooL said:

Well, it's unrealistic and foolish to roster all 3 or 4.  Gotta take your pick and hold to see what develops next week.  I think with the bye to figure things out, Pettis getting healthier, there is a possibility that it could be him.  He was great at the end of last year which is why everybody was so high on him coming into the year.  Not a lot of great waiver options this week so if there's a time to pick him up, it would be now.

I am doing exactly this in the hope that he has a good game this coming Monday

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 11:20 AM, CooL said:

Well, it's unrealistic and foolish to roster all 3 or 4. 

Not all rosters are created equal. Both my leagues (dynasty and redraft) have 32 roster spots, so it was actually quite realistic and sensible to roster the following trifecta: Pettis, Hurd and Samuels. *see my redraft roster in sig

Pettis showed tremendous promise at the end of the last season, and the news regarding his recent injuries should give hope that his upside is still present. The hedge bet, is to roster both Hurd and Pettis and wait an see, as Goodwin and Samuels will fill the other two roles (I don't see Taylor pushing any of the previous names to the curb.)

With Pettis' poor play, and prior to the recent news breaking regarding his injuries, I has been trying to land Hurd in dynasty (the guy looks to be an absolute match-up nightmare), but Pettis may still have a chance to land that starting role.

1 hour ago, FollowTheLeader said:

Not all rosters are created equal. Both my leagues (dynasty and redraft) have 32 roster spots, so it was actually quite realistic and sensible to roster the following trifecta: Pettis, Hurd and Samuels. *see my redraft roster in sig

Pettis showed tremendous promise at the end of the last season, and the news regarding his recent injuries should give hope that his upside is still present. The hedge bet, is to roster both Hurd and Pettis and wait an see, as Goodwin and Samuels will fill the other two roles (I don't see Taylor pushing any of the previous names to the curb.)

With Pettis' poor play, and prior to the recent news breaking regarding his injuries, I has been trying to land Hurd in dynasty (the guy looks to be an absolute match-up nightmare), but Pettis may still have a chance to land that starting role.

Well, for sure.  But I think most people on these boards don't have 32 roster spots.  In dynasty formats, this guy should never have been dropped.  But in most leagues with 5 or 6 bench spots, it is indeed uncommon and likely unrealistic to have 3 SF WRs on your team.  I'm hoping that Pettis comes out of the bye showing people why there was a lot of buzz about him coming into the season.