Fort4242

Dante Pettis 2019 Outlook

I was misunderstood a few posts ago; my apologies. I was referring to which one of the three (Samuel, Pettis, Hurd) should people pick up off of waivers, not rostering all three and deciding who to play. I’m sure at least 2, if not 3, are sitting on most waiver wires. At this point I still have no clue, but I do think SF throws for a lot of yards here on out

I think Deebo has the highest upside. But Pettis may end up being the most consistent. Coming out of the bye, this should be a really defined gameplan that gives a strong idea of where they are headed. Since no receiver is a stud, it may just be a random guess every single week.

Just now, kball09 said:

I think Deebo has the highest upside. But Pettis may end up being the most consistent. Coming out of the bye, this should be a really defined gameplan that gives a strong idea of where they are headed. Since no receiver is a stud, it may just be a random guess every single week.

can't say any of that definitively until we see that beast Hurd unleashed. 

if there is one cat on the 'Niners who has "leeg winner" potential, it's him. 

we've seen enuff of these other palookas ... too inconsistent, mealy moufed - Hurd is a freAk. 

excited for Monday night, just hope the kid suits up, of course.  

• Like 1

This ^

I agree with Hurd's upside/talent, and IMHO if you have the roster space, this is the time to roster both he and Pettis...let them fight it out Sunday to remain on your roster.

You won't miss out IF one hits, no matter which one B)

*Monday

These are guys you can technically drop your bench for and grab AFTER the Sunday games if your league is setup that way, just a handy tip this week.

13 minutes ago, FollowTheLeader said:

This ^

I agree with Hurd's upside/talent, and IMHO if you have the roster space, this is the time to roster both he and Pettis...let them fight it out Sunday to remain on your roster.

Hurd and Pettis seem to play completely different roles.  Hurd seems to be more of a gadget, do-it-all type player.  Could line up in backfield, jet sweeps, etc.  Big enough to run over people, might even get some red zone carries in 2 back sets.  Pettis is a different type of WR.  I think Pettis main competition is Deebo, since Goodwin seems to have the clear out deep threat role locked up.  At this point, I'm sure the Niners are excited to see what they have in Deebo, but it's not like Pettis is an afterthought and day old bread.  He is still very much in their team's future plans.  Unfortunately, I think it's going to be like we all surmised - a WRBC with Deebo, Pettis, Hurd, Goodwin, and eventually Trent Taylor mixing it all in.  Not to mention of course George Kittle too and then whomever is catching the ball out of the backfield.  It's a good problem to have in the real life NFL.  But not great for an individual's fantasy production.

I'm going to hold because I want to see if Pettis can recapture some of the magic from last season.  The slight problem is that the game is Monday night, and thus (at least on Yahoo) you won't have the opportunity to cut bait after seeing his game and picking up another flier.  But I think worth a one week shot to see what transpires.

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 11:48 AM, FollowTheLeader said:

This ^

Well this ^ didn't age well :lol: *glad I still got my Pettis shares though B)

Hurd being moved to IR does help clear the future muddy WRBC waters a tad...

On 10/2/2019 at 12:21 PM, pastorofmuppets2 said:

can't say any of that definitively until we see that beast Hurd unleashed. 

if there is one cat on the 'Niners who has "leeg winner" potential, it's him. 

we've seen enuff of these other palookas ... too inconsistent, mealy moufed - Hurd is a freAk. 

excited for Monday night, just hope the kid suits up, of course.  

"I think they're playing -- they're winning by committee," Rice told Maiocco of the 49ers receivers. "Deebo Samuel, I think he's that go-to guy. This guy, he catches the football. He's very physical. He goes across the middle. He does everything, and he doesn't shy away.

The only palooka Jerry Rice went out of his way to compliment time will tell, we should have some clarification soon. 

Edited by NyZD

I'ma stash him again. Assuming this injury stuff isn't complete BS I like his odds of producing after the bye.

37 minutes ago, Brettg57 said:

FWIW

I guess this guy is a writer for FFToday.  So maybe a little bit of legitimacy.  But is it his opinion that Pettis is "hands down the best WR on his team", or is that Shanny's impression?  I'm rostering again, but it'd be a hard choice between him and Deebo if Deebo were available.  Deebo 28% owned and Dante Pettis 20% owned on Yahoo now.  I lean Pettis given at least a little longer track record, but I'm guessing that they'll probably frustratingly split time rendering both of them not even flex worthy most weeks.

In .5 PPR no 49ers receiver is higher than WR 63 and Garoppolo is QB 27. Kittle also not a top 10 TE at the moment.

Hard to have faith in that.

• Haha 1

Here's what Ryan Clark, former DB of the Steelers, had to say about Dante:

Pettis is a great route runner and it sounds like Pettis showed up to training camp out of shape & dealing with some injuries. Now that he's healthy & in shape, I think you can disregard Pettis' early season lack of productivity. Shanahan even said after the Steelers game that he feels Pettis is now where he left off last year.

• Thanks 1

The fact that they've played 3 weeks and nobody has stood out gives me hope Pettis is the guy we thought he could be. I re-added but won't hesitate to drop if it doesn't pick up in the next few weeks.

What is there to contemplate? Both are long shots, but I prefer Shanny calling plays to Steelers playcalling, I prefer 2nd year player to a rookie, I prefer Niners to Steelers and so on.....go for Diontea :D

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GangGreen89 said:

I'm heavily contemplating him or Diontae Johnson. I dont know guys i just dont know. 

I have both. I don't trust Diontae to have 3 consecutive games with a touchdown, especially since it's the Ravens and it could be a low scoring rivalry game. On the other hand, I think what the 49ers have been doing is fairly underrated so far. I think they'll prove on Monday to be a true contender with another good showing against the Browns. Not to mention they've had an extra week to prepare.

With that said, it is a toss-up and I'm in a situation where I have to start both.

23 minutes ago, LuckyLukas said:

What is there to contemplate? Both are long shots, but I prefer Shanny calling plays to Steelers playcalling, I prefer 2nd year player to a rookie, I prefer Niners to Steelers and so on.....go for Diontea :D

My thoughts as well.  Jimmy G > Mason Rudolph.  SF (3-0) > Pittsburgh (1-3).  Shanahan offensive scheme > Pittsburgh gimmicky Wildcat and aDOT<5 yards offense.  Second year > Rookie. 

Their 40 times are the same (4.53).  Dante Pettis' player profile comparison is Marqise Lee.  Diontae Johnson's is Lavon Brazill (WHO???).

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, GangGreen89 said:

I'm heavily contemplating him or Diontae Johnson. I dont know guys i just dont know. 

Haha, has this same decision. Dropped Diontae today. Could be a mistake but time will tell 

1 minute ago, Proto24 said:

Haha, has this same decision. Dropped Diontae today. Could be a mistake but time will tell 

Ill go with the same decision since we can cry or be joyful together. 

• Like 1

One of my most stashed WRs via waivers and trades where he was just a throw in. 

Reminder of how he finished out 2018:

7trgs/4catches/77 yards/1 TD

7/5/129yds/2 TDs

7/3/49yds/ 1 TD

5/5/83 yards

5/3/21 yards 

With the SF wr’s thinning out bc of injury, Pettis being healthy, coaches showing love... no reason why their #1 shouldn’t get more involved and pick up where he left off. Let’s see that snap count at 70% on Monday!!