murraygd13

Yonny Chirinos 2019 Outlook

If Tampa ends up using Chirnos as the long guy following an opener, I like him as a sleeper.  75 K/25 K last year in 89 innings. He's only 25 with room to improve, should be able to pick up some cheap wins.

Yeah, he did flash some last year. I think there's a solid combo of stuff/pitchability that works. Always like how Tampa unlocks pitching.

His role will certainly means he comes cheaply. I like that he offers RP/SP eligibility, that's some swing value in deeper formats.

Think he'll keep starting games or will TB use him with an opener? I'm in a league with QS instead of Wins which made him tough to roster last year. 

He's a good pitcher, I think they don't mess around with him and start every 5th day.

-FB (sinker) was moving around with vertical run like crazy and averaged 95+ MPH with 5 whiffs in 48 ptiches, strike rate over 70%

-Threw 15 SL at 88 MPH, 67% strike rate and a whiff

-Threw 17 splitters at 86 MPH and got 7 whiffs with it, room to throw it more often going forward

- Threw 5 cutters at 92 MPH, all for strikes and 1 whiff

-Also three 4 seamers and got a whiff on 1

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Any update on whether he will be a traditional starter this season or not?  Anyone know what is going on in Kevin Cash's head?

I don't think anybody but Kevin Cash ever truly knows what is going on up there (if he even does at times even though it works).  Naming him a traditional starter would completely end their opener/bulk reliever strategy unless they play a ton of days in a row and want to push back their starters, but getting rid of it for the most part wouldn't be a bad thing obviously.

An interesting thing to keep an eye on, as he could have legit value if he gets to start every 5th day.  I don't think anything has been said for sure yet, as he doesn't officially have another start listed yet as far as I know.

1 hour ago, KilloWertz said:

I don't think anybody but Kevin Cash ever truly knows what is going on up there (if he even does at times even though it works).  Naming him a traditional starter would completely end their opener/bulk reliever strategy unless they play a ton of days in a row and want to push back their starters, but getting rid of it for the most part wouldn't be a bad thing obviously.

An interesting thing to keep an eye on, as he could have legit value if he gets to start every 5th day.  I don't think anything has been said for sure yet, as he doesn't officially have another start listed yet as far as I know.

CBS has him listed as a starter on 4/6 during the SF series, going against Samardijicisiazia

On 4/2/2019 at 5:19 PM, Damn Yankee said:

CBS has him listed as a starter on 4/6 during the SF series, going against Samardijicisiazia

Now cbs has Stanek listed for 4/6 and Yarborough 4/7

1 hour ago, TheNephilim said:

Now cbs has Stanek listed for 4/6 and Yarborough 4/7

Marc Topkin ‏Verified account @TBTimes_Rays 

Stanek will be opener for #Rays on Saturday.

I guess I won't be starting Chirinos.

"Rays will send out Opener Ryne Stanek + Bulk Guy Yonny Chirinos tomorrow against RHP Jeff “Not a fan of the Opener” Samardzija. First pitch is at 4:05 PM EST." -- https://www.draysbay.com/2019/4/5/18297465/tampa-bay-rays-5-san-francisco-giants-2-familiar-faces-mlb-game-recap 

God this pisses me off. I'd be so pissed if I was Chirinos. Just getting the SHAFT for a miraculous start to the year. 

Edited by Mexi1024

After the game he had?? Man, I don't have any issue with the opener strategy and think it's smart if you don't have guys who can go 6-7 quality innings, but it seems like Yonny might be that guy. What a let down.

2 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

After the game he had?? Man, I don't have any issue with the opener strategy and think it's smart if you don't have guys who can go 6-7 quality innings, but it seems like Yonny might be that guy. What a let down.

I agree 1,000%. Like I can't imagine how I would feel from Yonny's perspective. He goes out and throws a 2-hit GEM through 7 IP. Thinks his career really has a shot and goin' off now after he established who he was with them last year. And this Kevin Cash keeps giving him the shaft? Makes absolutely no sense. Just messing with this kids head now. 

3 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

I guess last hope is since that's not from an official source they might be guessing incorrectly.

My post above is from Marc Topkin, he's a Beat writer for the Rays. He states Stanek will be Opener for Saturday.

Is Stanek supposed to go 1-2 innings and then Chirinos takes over? Either way, he might still be line for a win. Is that fair to say?

1 hour ago, SpartyinFoCo said:

Is Stanek supposed to go 1-2 innings and then Chirinos takes over? Either way, he might still be line for a win. Is that fair to say?

Yea but for those QS leagues it really kills value. i'm in a QS + W league so at least i can get half of the available stats there but still.... 

Just now, Mexi1024 said:

Yea but for those QS leagues it really kills value. i'm in a QS + W league so at least i can get half of the available stats there but still.... 

Oh yeah, I agree. I am just in a W league so I think this situation doesn't really affect that much. I picked him up and will plug him in tomorrow.

6 hours ago, SpartyinFoCo said:

Stanek usually only goes 1 inning when he opens, I think.

Gotta get that amazing top of the Giants order out with an inferior pitcher!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, smeeze said:

I guess he’s not pitching today... tomorrow?

The beat writer Marc Topkin is even confused on what the hell the Rays are doing. I think Chirinos pitches tomorrow the traditional way if you don't see him today. *fingers crossed*

Edited by Z06vette

Marc Topkin‏Verified account @TBTimes_Rays 21m21 minutes ago

Chirinos will be starter for #Rays on Sunday vs. #SFGiants

• Like 2