murraygd13

Yonny Chirinos 2019 Outlook

This is ridiculous.

Chirinos isn't scheduled to start at any point this week and will instead work in relief on a temporary basis, Juan Toribio of MLB.com reports.

Analysis:Manager Kevin Cash didn't officially clarify his plans for Chirinos, but the right-hander -- who made his first two appearances of the season as a starter -- presumably will be a candidate to cover the bulk of the innings in relief when the Rays deploy an opening pitcher Friday in Toronto. Chirinos would be available for his normal four days' rest after tossing five shutout frames in San Francisco last weekend, but he may not be asked to fill as many innings as he has in a starting role. The de facto fifth member of the rotation, Ryan Yarbrough, will also be available in relief this week, so the Rays could turn to both him and Chirinos for multiple innings once the opener exits Friday.

#FreeYonny

• Like 1

Absolutely ludicrous. Burn the Trop to the ground, move the team to Montreal and leave Kevin Cash in a trailer park in St. Pete's.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gotta hold for sure. I am in a W league so as long as he tosses 4 and gets me a W, I am OK with it.  Sucks for the leagues with QS though.

I picked him up in a points league and don't want to drop him, but with this nonsense they do in Tampa it makes holding on a little harder.

Velo with a pretty nice bump all around from last year, could be a big factor, only 2 starts but.......

Solid article on fangraphs that goes into more detail as well

Season Team vFA vFC vFS vSI vCH vSL vCU vCS vKN vSB
2018 Rays 94.9   86.0 94.2   88.3        
2019 Rays 96.4   86.1 94.9   88.7        
Total - - - 95.0   86.0 94.2   88.4        
Edited by kmoore1521
  • Like 1

Some backasswards handling...I don't like it, but I still think he can be a useful backend SP type and don't mind the RP eligibility either.

Probably against the grain here but this is actually good news for me...with a 7 start max limit in my league I can get his innings in as a "super reliever" at no cost against my start limit!

• Like 2

I'd like to be optimistic like the two guys above me but i can't see how he'll have much value to me in a QS league.

I'd love it if he became a 1 or 2 inning SP eligible holds guy, but if he enters games in the 3rd - 5th inning, he could get a win but no hold.

Isn’t this the same thing that was projected for last weekend.  People were up in arms about him not starting over the weekend and all signs out of tb was that Yarborough would start in sf yet Yonny still ended up starting.  I think tb likes to keep probable pitchers mystery to keep teams a little in the dark.  

Edited by TheNephilim
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, TheNephilim said:

Isn’t this the same thing that was projected for last weekend.  People were up in arms about him not starting over the weekend and all signs out of tb was that Yarborough would start in sf yet Yonny still ended up starting.  I think tb likes to keep probable pitchers mystery to keep teams a little in the dark.  

Yea buddy of mine from college ball works for the blue jays in Replay, the pre game packets that guy puts together for each player including stating pitcher info is absurd, so much info on trends and what the pitcher likes to do etc def something to this 

Heck, in a league like mine where there is a 10 start max every week, I am more intrigued in Yonny for coming out of the bullpen and probably getting a win without costing me a valuable start. I just love so many of the Rays players, I want their whole team for my fantasy team lol 

35 minutes ago, arthurpete said:

He should be looking at some innings today. Stanek starting and Yonny last pitched sunday.

Why on earth isn't he a regular starter already? 

I didn't watch the game or anything but this screams 'don't screw with the guy when he's a SP' to me?

Same thing happened last year 😥

Came out hot in a couple games, then got shelled. He might just be a "cherry bomb" as Pitcherlist calls 'em. Maybe leaving him as a starter would help him mentally prep, who knows.

On 4/13/2019 at 2:51 AM, Hockey_Baseball said:

Same thing happened last year 😥

Came out hot in a couple games, then got shelled. He might just be a "cherry bomb" as Pitcherlist calls 'em. Maybe leaving him as a starter would help him mentally prep, who knows.

Here's what I'm absolutely sure of...the moment I drop him he'll be named a regular rotation guy and be the money-in-the-bank WW guy so many teams love having on their roster while I snap rubber bands on my leg like Chuck Rhodes to punish myself for being impatient....

Ponderous.

• Like 2

So with Snell on the DL is Yonny going to be his replacement? His next two starts would be against Baltimore and KC, both at home. They have Stanek opening tonight so I guess we should know more after tonight's game. Hopefully they won't  be using Chirinos tonight. Tampa isn't doing this opener stuff on back-to-back nights or could they?

3 hours ago, Sine_cera said:

So with Snell on the DL is Yonny going to be his replacement? His next two starts would be against Baltimore and KC, both at home. They have Stanek opening tonight so I guess we should know more after tonight's game. Hopefully they won't  be using Chirinos tonight. Tampa isn't doing this opener stuff on back-to-back nights or could they?

Yea id say chirinos gets a normal start at least 2 times through the rotation now that Snell is on the IL, doubt its only one start he misses

Was nails yesterday in the bulk role, 5IP 1H 1BB 5K.

Idk what the plan is, but he should pitch 2x next week...threw 70 pitches, so I suppose they could use him Sun too though?

This guy feels like a cheat code! Really hoping he stays in the super reliever role...

• Like 1

I agree with all the positive love for Chirinos, BUT this usage is killing those who have him in weekly/roto leagues.  I sat him this week in my roto and went with 6 starters and 3 closers.  I most certainly would have put Chirinos in as one of my pitchers if I knew he was going to have this kind of game this week.  He was listed with no starts this week, and got shelled in his last relief appearance.  So his stats sit on the bench.

In the daily I own him I'm reaping the solid stat line.  I just wish they would clearly define his role.

Check that...I just wish they would clearly define his role as a solid member of the starting rotation instead of this wishy/washy stuff that's going on.  Of course that's a fantasy ask, which means nothing to real BB pitching needs and wants.