BostonCajun

2019 Middle Relievers Thread

Seth Lugo starting to roll. By years end should have 6-9 wins and 110 K's that be some good stuff!

1 hour ago, CraftyRighty said:

Seth Lugo starting to roll. By years end should have 6-9 wins and 110 K's that be some good stuff!

100 Ks is too much to expect. I doubt he throws 90 innings this season because they won’t be using him as a starter. 

21 minutes ago, y2jbones said:

100 Ks is too much to expect. I doubt he throws 90 innings this season because they won’t be using him as a starter. 

He's already on pace to exceed 100 K's and hasn't started once this year though.

Lugo had to throw 100 innings last year to reach 100 Ks for the only time in his career. I think expecting that again this year is too ambitious because he isn’t expected to make any starts. Somewhere between 80 and 90 innings pitched is a reasonable projection given his relief role. In order to reach 110 Ks as you’re hoping, he’d have to average at least 1.22 Ks/inning. He’s never done that. 

Someone else mentioned Corbin Burnes, but I wanted to reiterate it. He has been money since being moved to the Brewers' pen, and it's likely he stays there for now. Putting up bulk relief innings with lots of strikeouts.

Edited by nlm

1 minute ago, nlm said:

Someone else mentioned Corbin Burnes, but I wanted to reiterate it. He has been money since being moved to the Brewers' pen, and it's likely he stays there for now. Putting up bulk relief innings with lots of strikeouts.

He's also SP/RP in Yahoo which is great. Should be solid contributor in ratios and K's but what about Holds? 

Just now, Hatfieldodger said:

He's also SP/RP in Yahoo which is great. Should be solid contributor in ratios and K's but what about Holds? 

Hard to say. I personally don't play in any holds leagues, and am just in it for the ratios when it comes to middle relievers (or potential closers). But I don't see why he wouldn't get some chances. After Jeffress and Guerra, and obviously Hader, there's probably room for him to move up in the pecking order. Should be interesting to see if he sticks in the pen.

3 hours ago, y2jbones said:

Lugo had to throw 100 innings last year to reach 100 Ks for the only time in his career. I think expecting that again this year is too ambitious because he isn’t expected to make any starts. Somewhere between 80 and 90 innings pitched is a reasonable projection given his relief role. In order to reach 110 Ks as you’re hoping, he’d have to average at least 1.22 Ks/inning. He’s never done that. 

It’ll be a matter of whether or not he can maintain his 11.5 k/9 over the course of the season. It would easily be a new career high for him, but he may keep it up. 

5 hours ago, nlm said:

yeah... about this

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Jyeatbvg said:

He's already on pace to exceed 100 K's and hasn't started once this year though.

Being "on pace for" is a whole lot different than a legitimate projection.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

yeah... about this

Until today, 7 ER for Burnes.

23 minutes ago, cs3 said:

Being "on pace for" is a whole lot different than a legitimate projection.

Not in this context. Poster was arguing Lugo wouldn't hit ~90 IP and thus wouldn't hit 100+ K's because he wouldn't start. It's a quarter of the way through the season and Lugo has pitched 25 innings. If there's some legitimate reason the Mets will cap his innings ROS then I stand corrected. But thus far the Mets have shown that they're not afraid to use Lugo often and sometimes in long relief. If they continue using Lugo as they have been, there's no reason to think he won't hit the 90 IP threshold. The poster's point about Lugo's K-rate is true. Lugo might not hit 100+ K's because his K-rate will fall, but that's an entirely different argument.

1 hour ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

yeah... about this

Until tonight's extreme blowup, he had been posting really nice numbers out of the pen. Oh well to that.

Here's a name to keep an eye on-

Giovanny Gallegos
31/6 K/BB ratio spanning 18.2 IP. 3.86 ERA, .96 WHIP

Very nice ratios. The Cardinals seem to have a ton of these guys.

Edited by nlm
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, nlm said:

Until tonight's extreme blowup, he had been posting really nice numbers out of the pen. Oh well to that.

Here's a name to keep an eye on-

Giovanny Gallegos
31/6 K/BB ratio spanning 18.2 IP. 3.86 ERA, .96 WHIP

Very nice ratios. The Cardinals seem to have a ton of these guys.

They do and are adding Martinez to the mix too...

16 minutes ago, Jyeatbvg said:

Not in this context. Poster was arguing Lugo wouldn't hit ~90 IP and thus wouldn't hit 100+ K's because he wouldn't start. It's a quarter of the way through the season and Lugo has pitched 25 innings. If there's some legitimate reason the Mets will cap his innings ROS then I stand corrected. But thus far the Mets have shown that they're not afraid to use Lugo often and sometimes in long relief. If they continue using Lugo as they have been, there's no reason to think he won't hit the 90 IP threshold. The poster's point about Lugo's K-rate is true. Lugo might not hit 100+ K's because his K-rate will fall, but that's an entirely different argument.

I understand the discussion. The point was that you can't just simply "pace" his innings OR his K rate, because baseball doesn't work that way. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

They do and are adding Martinez to the mix too...

Yep, they've got a wealth of middle relievers. I wonder if they plan to move Martinez back into the rotation in the longrun, though. Seems they need the help there much more.

6 minutes ago, nlm said:

Yep, they've got a wealth of middle relievers. I wonder if they plan to move Martinez back into the rotation in the longrun, though. Seems they need the help there much more.

I know some fantasy managers think so but I quite doubt it given he's coming off an injury and management already made the decision to use him as reliever because of that.  I suppose if you see him throwing 3 innings at a time then that might be a hint for future plans.  However, personally, I think he'll be used only in short relief... 

Familia another 123 in garbage time. Should be back to setup role soon.

Maybe he really did fix whatever prob he had. Or he just can't handle close games anymore.

• Like 1

JB Shuck is getting some work in AAA. He throws low 90s with some cut. Definitely a guy to look at in OF/P leagues. 

I thought Lou Trivino would be a good source of Holds and ratios but he has 3 losses in the past 5 days.

6 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Jesse Chavez has been rollin’. 

he doesn't get Holds, though, so he's a pure ratio play which is tougher unless deep benches obviously

• Like 1