BostonCajun

2019 Middle Relievers Thread

On 4/6/2019 at 2:05 AM, #1Stunna said:

Thoughts on SP eligible relievers in a league that counts holds?  I like to stack my bullpen on days when I don't have a starter going and these types of guys can be very useful.  

I'm currently running with Ryne Stanek and Caleb Ferguson in my main league.

How does Ferguson qualify at SP? He only pitched 3 games as a starter last year.

13 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

How does Ferguson qualify at SP? He only pitched 3 games as a starter last year.

On Yahoo, it's three starts and five relief appearances to qualify at those positions.

3 hours ago, AHF said:

All of that should be taken with a big grain of salt just based on small sample size.  He looks to me like more of a 9 K/9 guy based on his career to date.

Small sample size, sure I will give you that. But its extremely tough to say what a guy should be based of a short minor league career that included TJS. My eyes tell me he has a good chance of being a 12+ k/9 guy and his situation is such that he will get utilized as much as possible through the end of May due to him being a rule 5 pick.  If he continues missing bats like he has been, he will be a valuable arm in a bullpen that is looking for someone to step up.

7 hours ago, Hanghow said:

On Yahoo, it's three starts and five relief appearances to qualify at those positions.

Although Yahoo is pretty funny that way.  Last year both Will Smith and Tyler Thornburg both came off long time dl stints with SP eligibility although neither has started in the majors for years.    I also notice that minor league relievers come up (like Lovelady) and have that eligibility as well.   Works well for me but kind of ridiculous I suppose...

8 hours ago, AHF said:

All of that should be taken with a big grain of salt just based on small sample size.  He looks to me like more of a 9 K/9 guy based on his career to date.

Why do you suggest that?  I don't know much about his stuff but his minor league K/9 ratio is 12.2.   Was higher in low minors but seemed to move around a lot and not much time in spent in triple A to gather a lot of data from.  Last extensive stint in one place in double A (2015) he was over 11 k/9 where he pitched 40 of 60 some total Double/Triple A innings.   

Whats the deal with this John Gant fella? He is tearing it up in the middle innings and has only SP eligibility (ESPN)

Looks like a nice source of points

• Like 1

3 hours ago, octapuss said:

Whats the deal with this John Gant fella? He is tearing it up in the middle innings and has only SP eligibility (ESPN)

I think it's hard to really peg this guy right now in terms of what kind of season he may have. He's been a starter for most of his career with mostly so-so results. He was okay as a SP for StL last year and better as a RP. 

The thing that makes me hesitant about him is that he can start walking too many guys...6 in 9 ip already this year. He walked 57 in 114 ip last year in StL. In his MLB career, he has 94 walks in 190 innings, but that's only come with a 7.7 k/9. So while his overall line looks good right now, I don't know that by year's end he won't anything more than just a "meh" MR.

Even though it's a SSS, his ERA right now is 1.00...his FIP is 4.99. Even if those two numbers meet in the middle eventually, you're talking about a 3.00 ERA MR who walks too many batters and doesn't miss enough bats. I suspect there are better options available. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, knuckleheads said:

Why do you suggest that?  I don't know much about his stuff but his minor league K/9 ratio is 12.2.   Was higher in low minors but seemed to move around a lot and not much time in spent in triple A to gather a lot of data from.  Last extensive stint in one place in double A (2015) he was over 11 k/9 where he pitched 40 of 60 some total Double/Triple A innings.   

I was looking at the last two years and expected a slight down tick from his numbers against mostly AA opponents. 

2017 - 17 IP, 20K  (AA)

2018 - 10.1 IP above Single A (AA, AAA, MLB), 10 K  

Total 2017/2018 AA+: 9.88 K/9

I don't put much value in 2015 AA numbers just like I won't knock him for his terrible 2015 AA 1.65 WHIP.

In fairness it is probably too small a sample size even in the minors to get much of a read so I'd retract my statement and say we just don't really know much about him at this point.  It is totally fair to put him on the watch list but seems like a total gamble to invest a roster spot in him unless you've actually watched him pitch and think he has really plus stuff.  

Another IP with 2 K's last night (Rizzo and Schwarber) for Burdi.  Currently 4.2IP with 10K's sending his FIP even lower to -.55

One of only 10 pitchers in MLB with a SwStr% >20%

Josh Hader's K-BB%  = 48.0%

Nick Burdi's K-BB% = 47.4%

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, lukeman89 said:

Another IP with 2 K's last night (Rizzo and Schwarber) for Burdi.  Currently 4.2IP with 10K's sending his FIP even lower to -.55

One of only 10 pitchers in MLB with a SwStr% >20%

Josh Hader's K-BB%  = 48.0%

Nick Burdi's K-BB% = 47.4%

If anyone wants to see the dude pitch here is a link to the statcast search showing his swings and misses:

https://atmlb.com/2Z4LuL3

• Thanks 1

A couple of MRs that have my interest after looking at their "advanced stats" on Yahoo. Burdi (as mentioned above) has a current FIP of -0.54, but he has also been saddled with a .500 BABIP. Nick Anderson has a FIP of -0.08, an ERA- of 38, and is carrying a BABIP of .545. 

Both of these guys are striking dudes out in their sleep. Makes me very intrigued because we have to assume a huge BABIP regression to the norm, which should only bolster their fantasy numbers that count. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lukeman89 said:

If anyone wants to see the dude pitch here is a link to the statcast search showing his swings and misses:

https://atmlb.com/2Z4LuL3

Wow, appreciate the link.. I'm probably just late, but had no idea you could look that up so easily 

Posted (edited)

Ryan Pressly looks great so far & I haven't heard his name mentioned on here yet. He's picked up a Win & a Save thus far, plus he's in a pretty good situation - opinions?

Edited by metropolitans
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, metropolitans said:

Ryan Pressly looks great so far & I haven't heard his name mentioned on here yet. He's picked up a Win & a Save thus far, plus he's in a pretty good situation - opinions?

if you haven't heard his name lately, it's because he's a given - pretty much the top of the list (now that Hader is closing)

Pitcherlist has him first on their holds rankings

• Like 3

What's wrong with Chad Green? Coughing up runs routinely and the Ks are gone.

12 hours ago, Ace_King said:

What's wrong with Chad Green? Coughing up runs routinely and the Ks are gone.

I've been wondering this same thing. Hold stock in this guy and has been a huge disappointment so far.

5 hours ago, nlm said:

I've been wondering this same thing. Hold stock in this guy and has been a huge disappointment so far.

He has been too good not to turn it around but he isn't usable right now. 

• Like 1

I might stick Ferguson and Ottavino in a couple P spots this year, set it and forget it. Might net me 12 wins and 200 K's no BS!

On 4/11/2019 at 5:41 AM, octapuss said:

who is john gant?   (i know who he is, just making a literary reference - and i know it's Galt, but still....)

i'd like to have a nice SP eligible holds guy, but Gant sure walks a lot of guys.

Who are the top SP eligible middle relievers?  (isn't there a thread for that, can't find it, must not have any comments for a while)

TB boys: Diego Castillo and Ryne Stanek

Seth Lugo, Gant, Caleb Ferguson, Roenis Elias, Romo, Biagini

maybe Dick Lovelady can join the list, anyone else?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, tesla said:

who is john gant?   (i know who he is, just making a literary reference - and i know it's Galt, but still....)

i'd like to have a nice SP eligible holds guy, but Gant sure walks a lot of guys.

Who are the top SP eligible middle relievers?  (isn't there a thread for that, can't find it, must not have any comments for a while)

TB boys: Diego Castillo and Ryne Stanek

Seth Lugo, Gant, Caleb Ferguson, Roenis Elias, Romo, Biagini

maybe Dick Lovelady can join the list, anyone else?

Are they selling Who is John Gant shirts yet?

Burdi pitched a scoreless 7th inning with a K in a tie game today.  Pirates didn't even f--- around and put Kela in, insteads went straight to Vasquez for the 8th-9th.  Looks like Burdi will continue to get more high leverage situations going forward if he continues to pitch well and Kela may be falling out of favor due to his lackluster outings.

• Thanks 3

17 hours ago, tesla said:

I just might have to make that my team name next year.