BostonCajun

2019 Middle Relievers Thread

8 hours ago, bcobb311 said:

Anyone else throwing in the towel on Josh James?

I did in two leagues:l.  Made me sad to do it but he was giving me nothing or killing me depending on format. Made me sad.

2 minutes ago, AHF said:

I did in two leagues:l.  Made me sad to do it but he was giving me nothing or killing me depending on format. Made me sad.

I dropped him about a week ago.  He wasn't going to grab any holds/saves and I didn't need him as a starter down the road.  He hasn't been picked up since the drop (12 teamer)...

I thought Green would be one of the best of this group but he's been terrible this year so far (as have most of the other Yankee bullpen arms). Do people think he rebounds to his elite self he had been prior to this SSS in 2019? I noticed his babip is really high at .375 but his k% is way down and hes not getting people to swing at stuff outside the zone as much. With so many other options at RP are people still hanging onto him?

Edited by BostonCajun

Relievers are so up and down year to year. You have a few elite setup guys, but their shelf life tends to be short. I mean you wouldn't even need all 5 fingers to count the setup guys who have been dominant for the last 3 years in a row (2016 to 2018).   (I do realize it's a bit misleading because some elite setup guys get promoted to CL)

Betances and ___? And Betances hasn't even been as good as 2014-2015, and he hasn't pitched this year.

• Like 3

On 4/20/2019 at 9:09 PM, I was wrong on Kris Benson said:

Ryan Pressly is hardly being used this year.

I think the situation hasn't come up to use Pressly. Astros have only one 2 games by a score of 9-1 and 7-2 since he was last used. Neither of those call for using a high-leverage guy. They have lost the rest of the games. 

7 hours ago, SpartyinFoCo said:

I think the situation hasn't come up to use Pressly. Astros have only one 2 games by a score of 9-1 and 7-2 since he was last used. Neither of those call for using a high-leverage guy. They have lost the rest of the games. 

True, but as good as he is, his usage so far this year has made him fantasy un-rosterable. I cut bait last night and picked up Stephenson.

7 hours ago, BostonCajun said:

I thought Green would be one of the best of this group but he's been terrible this year so far (as have most of the other Yankee bullpen arms). Do people think he rebounds to his elite self he had been prior to this SSS in 2019? I noticed his babip is really high at .375 but his k% is way down and hes not getting people to swing at stuff outside the zone as much. With so many other options at RP are people still hanging onto him?

I dropped him for Moronta so I guess no I don’t have the faith he will. I am monitoring closely on the wire 

Edited by Hatfieldodger
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, SpartyinFoCo said:

5 holds too, for leagues that use that. Not shabby. 

Looking at a couple SP/RP's that have performed well over the past 14 days. Looking to possibly replace Biagini who seems shaky at best right now. 

Sam Gaviglio TOR 7% owned. 8IP 2 Wins 9K's 0.00 ERA .38 WHIP

Kyle Ryan ChC 0% owned. 7IP 11K's 3 Holds 2.57 ERA .86 WHIP. His ERA was blown up to 27/4.50 whip his last outing where he pitched .2 innings. Other than that he has been elite. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/23/2019 at 6:13 PM, I was wrong on Kris Benson said:

True, but as good as he is, his usage so far this year has made him fantasy un-rosterable. 

Wut?

12 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Wut?

I just have a personal preference for a ratio reliever to have more innings pitched than what Pressly has thrown so far. At his current IP rate, he isn't useful enough, to me, as others if his K/9 isn't as good as some of the other non closers out there. 

2 hours ago, I was wrong on Kris Benson said:

I just have a personal preference for a ratio reliever to have more innings pitched than what Pressly has thrown so far. At his current IP rate, he isn't useful enough, to me, as others if his K/9 isn't as good as some of the other non closers out there. 

I disagree. Pressly has been great for me so far. He has 5 holds and 2 saves with a 0.00 ERA and 0.41 WHIP. The K/9 is around 9. Not to mention a win as well.

Was mentioned a page back but John Brebbia (STL) is racking up holds.  1-0 with 20 Ks in 16.1 IP.  7 holds, with 5 in his last 5 appearances since April 21st.  0.55 ERA and 0.86 WHIP

Still only 4% owned on ESPN.

Edited by ToO_BaD

3 minutes ago, ToO_BaD said:

Was mentioned a page back but John Brebbia (STL) is racking up holds.  1-0 with 20 Ks in 16.1 IP.  7 holds, with 5 in his last 5 appearances since April 21st.  0.55 ERA and 0.86 WHIP

Didn't like that he walked 3 today but otherwise looking like an elite holds guy this year.  Walks haven't been an issue previously so have a lot of confidence in him going forward...

• Like 1

Familia is putrid while Lugo has settled down after a rough stretch. 12 walks in 12 innings. Has no idea where the ball is going. Got lucky last night on a DP. (Mess somehow opted to walk the bases loaded with 1 out even though the dude walks the ballpark)

Mess probably gonna have to make the switch sooner or later.

4 minutes ago, coleporter said:

How about John Brebbia of the Cardinals?  7 Holds an ERA and WHIP under 1 and a K/9 of 11.02. 

Okay I get some people not wanting to read several pages, but two comments up?  Come on now....

giphy.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Just now, ToO_BaD said:

Okay I get some people not wanting to read several pages, but two comments up?  Come on now....

giphy.gif

Sorry. I made a search for him and nothing came up.

2 hours ago, knuckleheads said:

Didn't like that he walked 3 today but otherwise looking like an elite holds guy this year.  Walks haven't been an issue previously so have a lot of confidence in him going forward...

Brebbia over Grant?  Both have been really solid