BostonCajun

2019 Middle Relievers Thread

40 minutes ago, The Answer said:

Brebbia over Grant?  Both have been really solid

Somewhat depends on league settings.  On the days they get both get used, Brebbia tends to be called upon before Gant, so he will only get you holds and some occasional wins.  Gant could provide holds, wins, and even some occasional saves based on his later usage.  Brebbia does have the slightly better K/9, but both have great ratios.  Might be useful to have both depending on league settings.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ToO_BaD said:

Somewhat depends on league settings.  On the days they get both get used, Brebbia tends to be called upon before Gant, so he will only get you holds and some occasional wins.  Gant could provide holds, wins, and even some occasional saves based on his later usage.  Brebbia does have the slightly better K/9, but both have great ratios.  Might be useful to have both depending on league settings.

Agreed! Platform dependent Gant also has SP/RP eligibility where Brebbia is only RP.

• Like 2

I’m really digging Moronta. I think he’s my next target, after I just added Brebbia. Definitely think he’s the closer of the future there anyway. But regardless he’s great for the holds. 

• Like 2

Fellas - is Brebbia a must add for those of us in Holds leagues? I'm currently in a Holds/Saves league and he's staring at me from the FA list lol

Maybe someone can answer this cause I'm confused. Stripling got credited with a hold on yahoo last night after getting the loss and allowing 3 runs in 1/3rd of an inning. The Dodgers were winning 2-0 when he entered the game and down 2-3 when he left the game. How does he get a hold for that? lol

Edited by hangin n wangin

5 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Maybe someone can answer this cause I'm confused. Stripling got credited with a hold on yahoo last night after getting the loss and allowing 3 runs in 1/3rd of an inning. The Dodgers were winning 2-0 when he entered the game and down 2-3 when he left the game. How does he get a hold for that? lol

He left with the Dodgers still ahead 2-0. He loaded the bases and got pulled, then got charged with all the runs when Longoria hit a 3-run double off Dylan Floro.

6 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

The runs scored after he was taken out. So when he left the game, the dodgers were still winning, hence the hold. Stupid rule, but I'll take it. 

2 minutes ago, SpartyOn4 said:

He left with the Dodgers still ahead 2-0. He loaded the bases and got pulled, then got charged with all the runs when Longoria hit a 3-run double off Dylan Floro.

2 minutes ago, mtblock said:

The runs scored after he was taken out. So when he left the game, the dodgers were still winning, hence the hold. Stupid rule, but I'll take it. 

Got it! Duh!! Thanks guys.

Still dumb as f--- but makes a little more sense I guess.

Would he still have gotten the hold if he didn't get a guy out?? I'm assuming no, but please just confirm before I lose my s--- lol

4 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Would he still have gotten the hold if he didn't get a guy out?? I'm assuming no, but please just confirm before I lose my s--- lol

Holds arent an official MLB statistic so different platforms might have different criteria.

In yahoo,  a hold is " credited when the reliever comes into a save situation, records at least 1 out, and gives way to another reliever without giving up the lead."

So even if he came in with a 3 run lead, got one out, gave up up 2 runs and left with batters on all bases ,all of whom eventually scored, he'd get a hold.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, The Answer said:

Brebbia over Grant?  Both have been really solid

Either is a good add as Gant has been lockdown as well.  I worry a bit about the higher walk rates but can't argue with what he's done thus far...

2 hours ago, hangin n wangin said:

he needs to get an out to get a hold.  At least that is the way Yahoo scores it...

Marcus Walden is having a great start to the season since getting called up...definitely worth a look

So Barnes for B boys looking like he will be a great guy to own, even without saves

Stephenson hasn't been that sharp in his last six outings...5 innings, 4 hits, 3 walks, 3 ER, 6 K. I know he's gotten a lot of love this year because of his hot start, but is it something he can keep up? RPs will emerge out of nowhere every year, but I'd be lying if I said that I'm not concerned that the last 14 days for him my be a glimpse into the rest of his season. He was terrible in 14 relief appearances in 2017, and his history of walking too many batters concerns me. 

7 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

Stephenson hasn't been that sharp in his last six outings...5 innings, 4 hits, 3 walks, 3 ER, 6 K. I know he's gotten a lot of love this year because of his hot start, but is it something he can keep up? RPs will emerge out of nowhere every year, but I'd be lying if I said that I'm not concerned that the last 14 days for him my be a glimpse into the rest of his season. He was terrible in 14 relief appearances in 2017, and his history of walking too many batters concerns me. 

I don't think as far as rough goes that's all too bad. Look what happened with Nick Anderson today as he gave up 5 runs in one outing. I think the numbers are still ok as there was bound to be some regression. Plus I believe a couple of times he left an inning with 2 outs and a runner on board that the guy behind him allowed to score.  

However, sure he concerns me as well but that's mainly due to his short track record of success (as well as pitching in a real good hitters park).  If he blows up there will be others. Always is...

This guy Aaron Bummer looks like Britton all of a sudden. Getting 77% grounders and high K's with a 97 mph sinker from the left side. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Shout out for Brandon Workman.  Putting in some work....man.....8 holds with 23 Ks in 16.2 IP.  Also 2-1, 1.62 ERA and .90 WHIP.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ToO_BaD said:

Shout out for Brandon Workman.  Putting in some work....man.....8 holds with 23 Ks in 16.2 IP.  Also 2-1, 1.62 ERA and .90 WHIP.

While the overall picture is rosy from afar, that BB/9 rate should scares the bejeebus out of everyone  

• Like 2

On 5/5/2019 at 1:22 PM, dod959 said:

This guy Aaron Bummer looks like Britton all of a sudden. Getting 77% grounders and high K's with a 97 mph sinker from the left side. 

Watched him pitch, he looked really good. 20 grade name though.

• Haha 1

On 5/2/2019 at 6:28 AM, remark900 said:

Marcus Walden is having a great start to the season since getting called up...definitely worth a look

The way they're using Walden is going to hold down his value all year (not that he won't have value).

1 hour ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

While the overall picture is rosy from afar, that BB/9 rate should scares the bejeebus out of everyone  

Yeah it is rough.  But for now, I need some Ks and holds - so I will ride till the wheels fall off.

Edited by ToO_BaD