countseth

Willie Calhoun 2019 Outlook

1 hour ago, jmcampbe11 said:

I should have rephrased that to say "they care about their organization". Pence is being played to showcase him for trade partners. It's hard to argue with that approach. And Choo is playing because he's a OBP machine in lineup with very few high OBP guys, especially now that Gallo's out. Once Pence is traded Calhoun should have a more regular path to ABs, but it really hinges on whether or not someone other than DeShields can actually play a respectable CF. 

Post trade deadline that point about CF will give we fantasy players a better idea on PT expectations.  I'm curious to see who gets dealt, and who's left standing.  If Delino could get a near starters share of CF he could be a nice roto piece down the stretch with his 40 SB upside.  With 2 months of regular PT he could steal 10-15 bags potentially.   As for Calhoun, I'd have to imagine he's going to play a lot post deadline.  Don't you have to see what the younger players have to offer?  I'd be curious to see if he ends up getting any time at 2B.  I know they flirted with the idea earlier in the season, or had him working with the coaches during practice. 

3 hours ago, dicka24 said:

I'd be curious to see if he ends up getting any time at 2B.  I know they flirted with the idea earlier in the season, or had him working with the coaches during practice. 

That was when Odor was slowly playing himself out of the lineup. Now that Odors hot, doubt Willie will be getting time at 2B.

Edited by Gryfter

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 1:07 PM, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

To me it appears that multiple things have to fall into place for him to be an everyday player

Interested in what you think needs to fall into place?

1 minute ago, BigPapi44 said:

Interested in what you think needs to fall into place?

check the post date...this was 2 weeks ago when i posted this...lolol

1 minute ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

check the post date...this was 2 weeks ago when i posted this...lolol

Yes, I know.  Just curious.  Has your assessment changed and what are your thoughts for him moving forward?

everyday at bats recently, hoping that continues because i like what he brings to the plate for sure...havent looked at the stats, but think he may even be hitting lefties (saw him homer off one the other day)

This guy has been pretty solid. Added for the double header today and might hold him for a while to see if he can keep it up. .300 avg, 7 bombs, and OPS of 1.000 over the past month - that will play.

He's been hitting very well, but unfortunately not many RBI's. Not sure if his hitting WRISP isn't great lately or others just aren't getting on base. But where he's hitting in the lineup you'd hope for some more RBI's. I will still take take the hits/AVG/HR/R's certainly that he's racked up lately. 

• Like 1

I'm a little surprised people seem so lukewarm on this guy. He's slashing .295/.338/.568 on the season. And he's been on fire lately.

6 hours ago, tonywow said:

He's been hitting very well, but unfortunately not many RBI's. Not sure if his hitting WRISP isn't great lately or others just aren't getting on base. But where he's hitting in the lineup you'd hope for some more RBI's. I will still take take the hits/AVG/HR/R's certainly that he's racked up lately. 

There's nothing wrong with a 30-11-30 290 line in 200 at bats give/take. I drafted, dropped, and scooped him back up a while ago. Don't forget that there was a time he was highly touted for his bat to ball skills... In Arlington

• Like 1

i didn't see this mentioned anywhere in the thread, but has he turned a corner on facing LHP? anybody with eyes on that can comment? i think i've seen a total of one at AB this entire season.. i'm really only scouting stat lines.

• vLHP (MLB) - 1.150 OPS (56 PA, babip .278)
  • vLHP (Minors) - 1.086 OPS (89 PA, not sure where to find MiLB splits that include babip)

• vLHP (MLB) - .445 OPS (33 PA, babip .217)
  • vLHP (Minors) - .670 OPS (134 PA)

• vLHP (MLB) - .606 OPS (11 PA, not really worth mentioning)
  • vLHP (Minors) - .799 OPS (140 PA)

i didn't include his stats vRHP, but until this year he had always fared better against RHP and lessor against LHP. this season, in both the minors and majors, he's significantly better against LHP, flipping his split. none of these are particularity large sample sizes, so i'm not sure if it's just noise or there's actually something to it. i like that it happened in both the majors and minors, lending a little more credibility to identifying a trend.

next week he faces a bunch of LHP and this could be pretty important information for those in the playoffs.

2 HRs today. Didn’t realize it but that now puts him on a 40 HR pace prorated at 550 ABs.

If he stays unnoticed until the end of th year, what are the odds that he’s the sleeper pick of 2020?

1 hour ago, UberRebel said:

2 HRs today. Didn’t realize it but that now puts him on a 40 HR pace prorated at 550 ABs.

If he stays unnoticed until the end of th year, what are the odds that he’s the sleeper pick of 2020?

He’s doing a poor job of staying unnoticed...don’t think many are going to be sleeping on him.

16 hours ago, B&F said:

Please stay hot.

He's playing against BAL. No worries.