King_of_Kings

Mike Trout 2019 Outlook

6 hours ago, Magoo said:

Real LA team that hasn’t won WS in 31 years?

The team that tries to win and has won 6 straight division titles and back to back NL pennants. Sucks to be an Angel fan.

Edited by FantasyGeek2018

1 hour ago, TheK1d said:

Don't know how credible this source is:  

Ive never rooted harder for something to be fake news.  Good God no

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheK1d said:

Don't know how credible this source is:  

he apparently broke the Stanton record extension with Miami, Hanley signing with the Red Sox, and Greinke signing with the DBacks. IDK about any other signings but he is followed by people like Buster Olney, Ken Rosenthal, Jon Heyman, and Jim Bowden

5 hours ago, FantasyGeek2018 said:

The team that tries to win and has won 6 straight division titles and back to back NL pennants. Sucks to be an Angel fan.

Keep the sucking to be a fan of ______ reserved for a different west coast team, the Mariners.  Let me tell you, it sucks to be a fan of that club.  

• Like 2

[Comments removed. Take the LAD vs. LAA derail elsewhere, and do it without personal attacks.]

I wouldn't' blame him for staying.  Few if any better places to live than Orange County.   How much money does a person need?

5 hours ago, jwblue said:

I wouldn't' blame him for staying.  Few if any better places to live than Orange County.   How much money does a person need?

i think he is just form jersey and loves Philly teams....he may take less money to be closer to friends/family is the thinking

Per Fangraphs

Mike Trout: 1065 games 64.7 WAR

Bryce Harper: 927 games 30.7 WAR

Manny Machado 926 games 30.2 WAR

Trout has a better WAR than both of those players combined in 788 less games. Think about that for a moment.

• Like 7

Trout's gotten more of a boost from WAR's extremely flawed defensive components than Machado/Harper have... but yeah, he's obviously a much better player than both. 

First time Trout owner this year and I'm pretty excited about it. Although this year we came as close as I can remember to having an argument for who was the first overall pick. Ultimately it comes down to his consistency in giving elite production in all 5 categories that nixes that question. He's a lock for 100 runs, 30+ HR, 100 RBIs and 30 SBs with a .300+/.400+ line if healthy. 

Edited by BostonCajun

55 minutes ago, BostonCajun said:

First time Trout owner this year and I'm pretty excited about it. Although this year we came as close as I can remember to having an argument for who was the first overall pick. Ultimately it comes down to his consistency in giving elite production in all 5 categories that nixes that question. He's a lock for 100 runs, 30+ HR, 100 RBIs and 30 SBs with a .300+/.400+ line if healthy. 

And this is in no way a knock on Trout but hes not a lock for 100 RBI's. It has more to do with the talent around him.

10 hours ago, jwblue said:

Orange County may be a great place to live BUT his home is in South Jersey. He is back home within days of the end of the season every year. After the All-Star game last season (Wash DC) he was playing golf at a local golf course on Thursday when he had a game in LA on Friday - he stayed until the last possible moment. That tells me all I need to know about where he wants to be. I do agree with you though - money will be 3rd on his list when it comes time to make a decision. Family -1, A chance to go to the playoffs - 2 then money in 3rd place.

42 minutes ago, LarsonLarsen said:

Definitely wouldn't call him a lock for 30 steals, either. Healthy or no.

He had 24 in 140 games last year and 22 in 114 games in 2017. Lock was probably not the right word but I think the chances of him reaching 30 are pretty high. 

1 hour ago, Gryfter said:

And this is in no way a knock on Trout but hes not a lock for 100 RBI's. It has more to do with the talent around him.

Yeah that was a pretty lazy post on my part. Apologies for that. I didn't realize how little he's reached 100 rbis in throughout his career. I guess never having owned the best player in the game has made it so I didn't need to really pay attention to his numbers much. Still even if he has 80 rbis his numbers should be worthy of the top pick.

2 hours ago, absknicks said:

Trout's gotten more of a boost from WAR's extremely flawed defensive components than Machado/Harper have... but yeah, he's obviously a much better player than both. 

OFF Value (Yes, this isn't direct to the WAR forumula, just an illustration that his value in rough draft sense)

Trout 444   174 RC+

Harper 199.7  140 RC+

Machado 90.7  120 RC+

His Defense grades are little more than frosting. They never were the reason for this huge gap.  His base-running value is No2 in his career. Behind only Billy Hamilton. There is more to total base running then raw SB totals.

Edited by Slatykamora

It would be great for Trout if the Angels would play Othani and Bour consistently and forget about Pujols but it's inenvitable that Pujols starts at DH and gets the majority of the ABs there. A top half of the lineup made up of Calhoun, Trout, Upton, Othani, and Bour would be pretty solid and increase the run scored potential for Trout but instead it's looking like it'll be Calhoun, Trout, Upton, Bour, and Pujols. 

LOL:

A twitter reply illustrates how much of a joke this offer would be:

image.png.38d48a61d25ea70b28397187ea269ddf.png

I actually think that table's a bit generous, since the WAR aging curve isn't factoring in a likely shift off a premium defensive position that helps boost his WAR significantly, but if you're not starting discussions with an offer over $400M, you're pretty much not serious about resigning him.

I've been sort of laughing off all of the Trout to Philly talk in the last couple of years, but if this is seriously where the Angels are at financially, they might want to try to move him now before they inevitably lose him for nothing.

The offer would be for over $400 million since it would be in addition to his current deal of 2yr/$66.5 million, so it would be 12yr/$416.5. That's too light too and I don't see that being the final offer

I think something more realistic is an 8yr deal added onto his 2 remaining yrs and at something around $430 million total. Full no-trade clause with perhaps an opt out after 4 yrs(6 yrs total since it's these 2 remaining yrs on current deal + the first 4 yrs on his extension).

12 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

LOL:

A twitter reply illustrates how much of a joke this offer would be:

image.png.38d48a61d25ea70b28397187ea269ddf.png

I actually think that table's a bit generous, since the WAR aging curve isn't factoring in a likely shift off a premium defensive position that helps boost his WAR significantly, but if you're not starting discussions with an offer over $400M, you're pretty much not serious about resigning him.

I've been sort of laughing off all of the Trout to Philly talk in the last couple of years, but if this is seriously where the Angels are at financially, they might want to try to move him now before they inevitably lose him for nothing.

Arte is never trading him. He has more money than Philly and Albert is off the books in 2022. 

8 hours ago, Magoo said:

Arte is never trading him. He has more money than Philly and Albert is off the books in 2022. 

Until he stops surrounding Trout with such marginal talent, I don't think he stands a chance of re-signing him. Trout has plenty of money and will get plenty more regardless of where he signs - he wants to win and that sure hasn't been happening with the Angels.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Crusaderfan said:

Until he stops surrounding Trout with such marginal talent, I don't think he stands a chance of re-signing him. Trout has plenty of money and will get plenty more regardless of where he signs - he wants to win and that sure hasn't been happening with the Angels.

Do we actually know if Trout wants to win?  He never says he does or openly criticizes his club.  Some guys are just loyal to a fault.  Look at Ichiro and Felix.  Wasted away hall of fame careers on 65 win, horrid loser clubs.