King_of_Kings

Mike Trout 2019 Outlook

Someone mentioned it earlier, I don't think it comes down to money. All other 29 teams are interested in him and he will create a huge bidding war when he hits the market. I don't see how he doesn't get 400 million. Harper just got 330, Machado 325, Trout is better than both and it isn't close. It will come down to how much he wants to win and location. I do think he genuinely enjoys playing in Anaheim and being an Angel, but I think he really wants to win as well. 2020 will be a huge year for the Angels. This year already looks lost just because of the talent situation but the Angels are probably gonna put all their chips on the table next season in an effort to resign him before he hits the market. If they put together a solid, young core, offer Trout 400+ million dollars, and Trout gets to play in sunny SoCal for the next 10 years plus, I think he resigns. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, King_of_Kings said:

He absolutely demolished Harper and Machado's contracts and rightfully so.

Not that I care about contract records at all, but those were technically "free agent" contracts, so they will hold some sort of record still

Wow, he is an Angel for life now. He must believe in the organization because he could've gotten 400 million for other teams as well I believe. Huge for the Angels.

you know people in Philadelphia are like FFFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, SpecialFNK said:

you know people in Philadelphia are like FFFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are. It's all over my social media feeds.

I just don't see what he expects out there, he's basically LeBron when he was with Cleveland the first time. The organization has not surrounded him with talent up to this point in his career.

• Like 1

I've never understood the desire for players in baseball to be the highest paid player. the goal should be winning and signing a team friendly deal is going to allow the team to sign other players in order to win.

of course agents are going to be against that because they want the players to sign for the absolute highest money possible regardless of what team that is.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

As an Angels fan, I'm over the moon. 

Your connotation has me bursting :)

jk go Halos

6 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

I've never understood the desire for players in baseball to be the highest paid player. the goal should be winning and signing a team friendly deal is going to allow the team to sign other players in order to win.

of course agents are going to be against that because they want the players to sign for the absolute highest money possible regardless of what team that is.

So you wouldn't want to get paid if you were an athlete?

2 minutes ago, RedRaider27 said:

even if the top players signed for less they would still be getting paid really well.

certainly Trout deserves to be paid more than any other player, but so much that it handcuffs the Angels? does Trout or any of these top players really "need" 30+ million a season? if Trout signed for 20 he would still be filthy rich for the rest of his life and then the Angels would have 10+ more million to help elsewhere. this could be the case with any team.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RedRaider27 said:

Ofcourse you'd want to get paid but when you're making that much money, is a couple millions dollars worth not winning a world series? It comes down to what does a player value, winning or money? 

• Like 1

The present hasn’t been great for the Angels as they saddled themselves with the Pujols disaster.  But that’s coming to an end soon, their farm system has some nice talent and they have an owner who will open pockets.  Sometime in next 3-5 years this club will be back among the tops in the AL.  

On 3/2/2019 at 7:57 PM, Blood Brother said:

The offer would be for over $400 million since it would be in addition to his current deal of 2yr/$66.5 million, so it would be 12yr/$416.5. That's too light too and I don't see that being the final offer

I think something more realistic is an 8yr deal added onto his 2 remaining yrs and at something around $430 million total. Full no-trade clause with perhaps an opt out after 4 yrs(6 yrs total since it's these 2 remaining yrs on current deal + the first 4 yrs on his extension).

nailed it.

• Like 6

Congrats! Just beats my 2.5% raise I got!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Good for him he deserves it, but I don't understand it. I don't get the motive other than maybe he's content with the team and wants to play for one organization his whole career. But he could've got more money in free agency, played on a team that actually competes, and somewhere he could explode in terms of popularity. Playing for the Yanks, Red Sox, or going back home to Philly would provide so much more attention not just to die hard fans, but casual fans as well. But I guess that's not really important to him. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Blood Brother said:

I agree

Would have got paid anywhere he went but chose to stay where he can hide from the post season and build on his zero post season wins and one career post season hit. 

• Haha 1

[Several removed.  Let's keep this thread focused on Trout's contract and fantasy outlook, not dunking on other members for their cold takes.]

17 minutes ago, Ry34No said:

Good for him he deserves it, but I don't understand it. I don't get the motive other than maybe he's content with the team and wants to play for one organization his whole career. But he could've got more money in free agency, played on a team that actually competes, and somewhere he could explode in terms of popularity. Playing for the Yanks, Red Sox, or going back home to Philly would provide so much more attention not just to die hard fans, but casual fans as well. But I guess that's not really important to him. 

I thought he is from New Jersey?  Just a big Philadelphia sports fan.

I don't mind it at all.  Rarity anymore to see a player stick with one team.  From a fantasy perspective - obviously the Phils would have been nice.  But he still produces the numbers where he is at to be a top 1-3 pick every year.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, FantasyGeek2018 said:

Would have got paid anywhere he went but chose to stay where he can hide from the post season and build on his zero post season wins and one career post season hit. 

Yes because nothing says "I want to win" more than signing with a team that hasn't been to the postseason since 2011 and hasn't had a winning record since 2011. A real winning environment. Oh shoot, that's the team Bryce Harper just signed with. My bad. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Not sure how anyone disagree with what’s he’s done.  I’m not gonna check but I’m assuming his original extension made him more money than any player ever at his age and now at 27 he signs the largest contract ever(by $100 million) to ensure he makes top dollar until he’s 39.  People act like career ending injuries aren’t something to worry about and Trout has simply done the logical thing and avoided risk by signing extensions as early as he can.  Sure the Angels have sucked, but they’ve been nice enough to extend him when they didn’t need to and he’s already made more than he would have if he had originally just waited to be an UFA.

40 minutes ago, FantasyGeek2018 said:

Oh come on, save these takes for Felix Hernandez and the Mariners who haven’t been to the postseason in 18 years and zero WS appearances ever.  Also don’t be sort sighted, from 2004-2014 Angels were one of best teams in baseball.  They got saddled on a terrible deal and have had to reshuffle the deck.  This club will be back competing in short order.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

What I understand from all I have read is that Trout got a long contract to belong to a team that will not compete in all those years? Don't you think that the Angels contracted him to work a competitive team around him and Trout because he was interested in the project that the team has in the medium term?

Edited by ramox15

We have no idea what could happen in 2 years.  Great move by Trout and great move by the Angels 

• Like 1