FollowTheLeader

Chris Godwin 2019 Outlook

3 hours ago, SkinsChargersFan said:

Julio, Hopkins, Allen, Thomas for sure, and probably Kupp.

Tyreek if I’m playing the long game & Adams if I’m willing to take on the injury risk (toe injuries worry me).

I’d take Godwin over everyone else.  

Evans and Cooper can be debated, but Evans will see tougher coverage, and I don’t buy the Dallas pass offense... Gallup back will eat into Cooper’s targets.

JuJu? C’mon... that’s ridiculous.

Edit: Forgot OBJ since some will probably consider him. He’s behind all those guys for me except JuJu... he’s a talented crybaby, but he’ll be super boom/bust all year in that offense.

What about Adams?

It’s too early for me to call him a WR1 in 10 team leagues. 

But if it pans out that way, we owners are in great shape as he was drafted as WR2 or 3. 

5 hours ago, CamNewton said:

What about Adams?

Adams is there... second paragraph. I’d rather have him if I’m willing to take on injury risk, although toe injuries worry me.

He is one of the most feared receivers in the game. He has 100 yard and 1 td floor under arians and I would list him as a top 5 receiver in the game. Evans takes the top corner and safety help leaving him one on one and no dB can cover him

One thing BA has always done with his slot receivers is reward them for blocking. It’s why Fitz always received screen/shovel passes on short motion when they were near the goal line. He has also stated that Godwins blocking is some of the best he’s ever seen by a WR so I have a feeling he will continue to get red zone/end zone targets at a pace that will be near the top of the league. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, Ddam2013 said:

One thing BA has always done with his slot receivers is reward them for blocking. It’s why Fitz always received screen/shovel passes on short motion when they were near the goal line. He has also stated that Godwins blocking is some of the best he’s ever seen by a WR so I have a feeling he will continue to get red zone/end zone targets at a pace that will be near the top of the league. 

When watching the games, I've actually noticed that. He's always gas on the pedal, even when it comes to blocking. He's a big dude too so he can definitely hold his own. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, mvttchew said:

When watching the games, I've actually noticed that. He's always gas on the pedal, even when it comes to blocking. He's a big dude too so he can definitely hold his own. 

He's built just like Josh Gordon , just a little shorter and about 16lbs less. But physique and body type very similar. Muscular, strong, fast, sure handed. Absolute stud . On this Bruce Arian's offense, potential top5 WR this year. IF he and Mike Evans both stay healthy. I can't overstate it enough , that having Evans opposite of him , helps him out immensely .  

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, RunCMC said:

He's built just like Josh Gordon , just a little shorter and about 16lbs less. But physique and body type very similar. Muscular, strong, fast, sure handed. Absolute stud . On this Bruce Arian's offense, potential top5 WR this year. IF he and Mike Evans both stay healthy. I can't overstate it enough , that having Evans opposite of him , helps him out immensely .  

I know potential top 5 is kind of loosely worded, but that is bold, my friend. Real bold. I hope you’re right.

16 minutes ago, itschief33 said:

I know potential top 5 is kind of loosely worded, but that is bold, my friend. Real bold. I hope you’re right.

As a bucs fan, I am trying to be optimistic. I am not saying he is too 5 the ros but if the pattern of the first quarter of the season continues, he very well could be top 10.

31 minutes ago, itschief33 said:

It’s not REAL bold , relax. I said potentially ... he’s currently at 3rd overall in half-ppr for what it’s worth. Kupp is 1st , (but he also just played tonight) , Keenan is 2nd , Godwin 3rd , Lockett 4th (also played tonight), Evans 5th . This means nothing really, it’s way too early in the season. Tyreek Hill has been injured, and plenty elite WR’s have been underperforming. D’Hop , Adams (now injured) , OBJ , just to name a few. With all that being said , if everything breaks right for him , barring injury to him and Mike Evans ... a top5 finish is possible. But he’s a lock for top10 , that I can say with certainty. 

Edited by RunCMC

11 minutes ago, RunCMC said:

It’s not REAL bold , relax. I said potentially ... he’s currently at 3rd overall in half-ppr for what it’s worth. Kupp is 1st , (but he also just played tonight) , Keenan is 2nd , Godwin 3rd , Lockett 4th (also played tonight), Evans 5th . This means nothing really, it’s way too early in the season. Tyreek Hill has been injured, and plenty elite WR’s have been underperforming. D’Hop , Adams (now injured) , OBJ , just to name a few. With all that being said , if everything breaks right for him , barring injury to him and Mike Evans ... a top5 finish is possible. But he’s a lock for top10 , that I can say with certainty. 

Relax? 😂😂 I said I hope you’re right goofy goober. I’ll bookmark your inability to pick up on friendly sarcasm.

11 minutes ago, itschief33 said:

Relax? 😂😂 I said I hope you’re right goofy goober. I’ll bookmark your inability to pick up on friendly sarcasm.

My bad if that was the case, I read it in a more condescending way. 

“That’s why I love when a guy has the breakout games of [12] catches or whatever for 170 yards, because he’s doing all that grimy work,” Arians said of Godwin. “You throw him screen passes in the red zone, not just because [he’s] good at it [but] because [he] deserves it. He blocked Clay Matthews better than our tight ends did a couple of times."

https://www.espn.com/blog/tampa-bay-buccaneers/post/_/id/22948/bucs-chris-godwin-reaping-rewards-of-dirty-work-in-the-slot

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Ddam2013 said:

“That’s why I love when a guy has the breakout games of [12] catches or whatever for 170 yards, because he’s doing all that grimy work,” Arians said of Godwin. “You throw him screen passes in the red zone, not just because [he’s] good at it [but] because [he] deserves it. He blocked Clay Matthews better than our tight ends did a couple of times."

https://www.espn.com/blog/tampa-bay-buccaneers/post/_/id/22948/bucs-chris-godwin-reaping-rewards-of-dirty-work-in-the-slot

Grief, someone said earlier that Arians likes to reward his receivers who do all the dirty work.  I don't know if they saw this quote and it prompted their comment, but if not this is amazing reiteration of what they said.

2 hours ago, CharlesCC2 said:

Grief, someone said earlier that Arians likes to reward his receivers who do all the dirty work.  I don't know if they saw this quote and it prompted their comment, but if not this is amazing reiteration of what they said.

I said it yesterday and this quote came out this morning from BA, just thought it was strange.

Edited by Ddam2013
  • Like 1

Has Bruce Arians coached a better tandem of WR’s than Evans & Godwin 

16 minutes ago, RunCMC said:

Has Bruce Arians coached a better tandem of WR’s than Evans & Godwin 

Probably not. His best was probably in 2015 with Fitz and Brown. Fitz in his prime is better than either Evans or Godwin, but there #2 was never better than whoever you consider the Bucs #2.

If this keeps up, you can make a case for this duo of Evans and Godwin being one of the better tandems of this decade. Pretty tough to find two really great WR's on one team.

On 8/13/2019 at 11:51 AM, mrfrood said:

Stop over thinking. This is one of the most obvious break out candidates I've ever seen. 

I kind of feel cool about making this claim back in mid August. 

I'm so glad I stuck by my guns and got him in both leagues. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, rex_bulkhead said:

Godwin maybe is not as physically talented Evans but he's a better WR

I wouldn't be so sure about this. Evans has shown for many years that he can be / is elite. He's just not getting fed like top WRs do this season. Partly because of Godwin, partly cause of Arian's system, partly Winston.

Plus he always takes the opponents #1 corner, Lattimore was on him all game. It allows Godwin to be a terror in the slot. It's unfair. 

I've been following Godwin since he was drafted, love him, but I don't know how he would do if he played on the outside as a team's undisputed #1. 

Edited by yahyahtrick
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, rex_bulkhead said:

Godwin maybe is not as physically talented Evans but he's a better WR

This is silly. Evans gets the best corner every game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Monster out of the slot , nightmare matchup. Unless your an elite corner