Sign in to follow this  
ST. STEVEN

Joe Musgrove 2019 Outlook

Should have been pulled for Liriano with Joc at the plate.  Joc as we know is trash against lefties and who cares if they pinch-hit David Freese?  He's ancient.

Joc shouldn't have even been up.  Also, I actually have to side with Hurdle for a change.  He usually takes his pitchers out too soon actually, but now because the team couldn't finish an inning behind their pitcher, he left the pitcher in too long?  It's not his fault that Tucker threw the ball into the dirt and Bell couldn't catch it.  Sure, Musgrove still wouldn't have gotten the win because they can't score either, but Musgrove should have gotten through the 7th with minimal damage.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Joc shouldn't have even been up.  Also, I actually have to side with Hurdle for a change.  He usually takes his pitchers out too soon actually, but now because the team couldn't finish an inning behind their pitcher, he left the pitcher in too long?  It's not his fault that Tucker threw the ball into the dirt and Bell couldn't catch it.  Sure, Musgrove still wouldn't have gotten the win because they can't score either, but Musgrove should have gotten through the 7th with minimal damage.

Whether it’s the pitcher’s fault or not, with a one run lead it’s time to go to the bullpen if any trouble pops up. I like that he gave his young pitcher a chance to see if he’s ready for true ace status, but you gotta have a quick trigger if men get on base. All that being said, I’d rather this than the Roberts/Kapler school of thought. 

2 minutes ago, mavsfan23 said:

Whether it’s the pitcher’s fault or not, with a one run lead it’s time to go to the bullpen if any trouble pops up. I like that he gave his young pitcher a chance to see if he’s ready for true ace status, but you gotta have a quick trigger if men get on base. All that being said, I’d rather this than the Roberts/Kapler school of thought. 

Will just have to agree to disagree I guess.  I have to commend the Braves' manager for leaving Soroka in when he got into trouble in his last inning of his start.  He came damn close to working out of it without giving up any runs, and so did Musgrove.  I wouldn't have had a problem with them pulling him when Joc came up, but it is what it is at this point.  I put a lot more blame on Hurdle for the crappy lineup he came up with rather then his decision to leave Musgrove in.

Would I rather he pulled him when it was still 1-0 and then the bullpen somehow got out of it and didn't give up any runs the rest of the way?  Sure, from a fantasy owner's perspective, but a pitcher shouldn't always be pulled if he puts a runner on late in his start.  Like I said, he still got out of it only giving up the 1 run, but obviously that's not what the box score says.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Will just have to agree to disagree I guess.  I have to commend the Braves' manager for leaving Soroka in when he got into trouble in his last inning of his start.  He came damn close to working out of it without giving up any runs, and so did Musgrove.  I wouldn't have had a problem with them pulling him when Joc came up, but it is what it is at this point.  I put a lot more blame on Hurdle for the crappy lineup he came up with rather then his decision to leave Musgrove in.

Would I rather he pulled him when it was still 1-0 and then the bullpen somehow got out of it and didn't give up any runs the rest of the way?  Sure, from a fantasy owner's perspective, but a pitcher shouldn't always be pulled if he puts a runner on late in his start.  Like I said, he still got out of it only giving up the 1 run, but obviously that's not what the box score says.

Hurdle can only play the guys the idiot GM provides him.  In addition, the Pirates are the cheapest b___tards in the MLB.  Their off season signings came straight off the rejections scrap heap ... Melky Cabrera, Lonnie Chisenhall, J.B. Shuck, Fransico Liriaino, Jordan Lyles (I'm not a believer)

• Like 4

9 hours ago, jb_power said:

Hurdle can only play the guys the idiot GM provides him.  In addition, the Pirates are the cheapest b___tards in the MLB.  Their off season signings came straight off the rejections scrap heap ... Melky Cabrera, Lonnie Chisenhall, J.B. Shuck, Fransico Liriaino, Jordan Lyles (I'm not a believer)

True, but neither the idiot ownership (he's the one that won't spend the money, not the GM) nor the GM is the one that makes the batting order.  Melky is slow and crashing back down to earth, Kang can't hit, and Cervelli couldn't hit the ball of a tee right now, but let's put them 2nd, 3rd, and 5th and leave the fastest guy on the team batting 8th (Tucker).  Granted Tucker hasn't looked the greatest at times, he's been great hitting at the top of the lineup and putting a rookie right ahead of the pitcher is just as bad or worse than putting him in a really good spot of the lineup.

At the end of the day, Musgrove will just be what he is and is still a must own even if he never wins another game this season.  While they are still likely to go up some, he's proving to be a really solid player to own even just for his ratios alone.

He’s righteous gold in QS leagues. Real nice start last night on the road against a behemoth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TribeFoo said:

He’s righteous gold in QS leagues. Real nice start last night on the road against a behemoth.

spacer.png

• Like 2

Hurdle can't manage a bullpen effectively at all. Never could. Joe was let down, again, by his defense but he also had no business facing Joc 

39 minutes ago, mpbaseball22 said:

Hurdle can't manage a bullpen effectively at all. Never could. Joe was let down, again, by his defense but he also had no business facing Joc 

You haven't seen a manager mis-manage a bullpen until you watch Indians games and see how bad Terry Francona is at it.  Granted he has been given mostly crap to work with over the last two seasons, he still finds a way to screw things up even when he has a couple of good relievers (case in point their doubleheader last Saturday).

Still, you aren't wrong that Hurdle can't manage a bullpen very well.  His biggest weakness though is making a lineup.  You are probably not wrong that Joe shouldn't have faced Joc either, although again, Joc should have never come up in that inning anyways.

Edited by KilloWertz

Sooo...today was a trainwreck. Glad it was on my bench lol. 

1 minute ago, Flyman75 said:

Didn’t get much help from his defense either. 

10 hours ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

Didn’t get much help from his defense either. 

lol what else is new? seems like that's become a standard for musgrove :( 

well...everyone is allowed a bad start every once in awhile. went wrong in pretty much every single way. that's okay as long as it doesn't become a trend. still like musgrove for sure though 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

Since there was no reason to bench him, you are one lucky son of a.... 😉

I still think outings like this will be outliers.  While he obviously wasn't going to keep pitching as good as he was and keep the run of QS going forever, there's little to indicate that he was a complete fluke either.  He still should be a good help in the ratios with decent enough K's.  He still isn't likely to win very many games, but there's still solid value there regardless.

Edited by KilloWertz

1 hour ago, KilloWertz said:

Since there was no reason to bench him, you are one lucky son of a.... 😉

I still think outings like this will be outliers.  While he obviously wasn't going to keep pitching as good as he was and keep the run of QS going forever, there's little to indicate that he was a complete fluke either.  He still should be a good help in the ratios with decent enough K's.  He still isn't likely to win very many games, but there's still solid value there regardless.

It was just a hunch lol. Oakland’s lineup typically gives me cause for concern. 

tough start tonight @StL and that bad performance last time.
I'm on the fence.

26 minutes ago, tesla said:

I'm on the fence.

50% of last performance was blameable on a trash defence. gonna roll him out there today

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, tesla said:

I'm on the fence.

He's been solid this year against right-handed hitters and the Cardinals are rolling out another lineup with very few left-handed hitters, so I don't think this is as dangerous of a match-up as it might seem. I'm sitting him because I'm on pace for too many starts this week, but I anticipate a respectable showing tonight.

1 hour ago, rlaalsrb said:

50% of last performance was blameable on a trash defence. gonna roll him out there today

I'd say at least 40%.  Who knows how the outing would have went without Kang making the first error.  Still, there was little excuse for Musgrove blowing up that badly, but I'm still going to give Musgrove a pass on that outing since there's really nothing that screams fluke in regards to his hot start to the season prior to the last start.

Obviously I'm rolling him out there tonight.  No, it's not the greatest matchup on paper, but I believe Musgrove has still earned enough leash to be rolled out there again.

[Game day posts removed.  Next time wait until the line is complete.]

[...] 2 of the last runs charged were walks he issued to start the 4th and were brought in during relief. Just an all around terrible start and didn’t have much control. However there have been signs of regression coming. 

Edited by tonycpsu
  • Like 1

Not gonna panic and rage drop but this simply isn't good