6Kill

Jonathan Schoop 2019 Outlook

Currently going off the board at an average pick of 171 according to fantasypros.  Wow, that’s way too late for a prime time bounce back candidate with the dual positional eligibility he has. Legitimate 30/100 threat with his new team.  I’m gonna go ahead and boldly predict he will be the most rostered player on rotisserie league winner’s teams.  Don’t let him slip past pick 140.  I’ll be targeting him even earlier than that.

Twins say they discovered a flaw in his swing after he strained his oblique last year.  Which isn’t totally far fetched considering how bad that injury is.  Twins getting all the bargain bin guys quietly stacking a nice lineup.  Orioles were putrid last year.  Do we buy into the mechanical flaw argument or is the walk rate so bad that the results will be a coin flip each year on what to expect out of him?

Traded Devers for some pitching help because I am counting on this guy to give me at something like .260/80/25/80.

I think there is definitely upside for more. Not great in OBP and OPS leagues, but if you don't play in one of those, he should produce solid counting stats.

Thoughts?

I worry about a slow start from Poop Schoop and Marwin getting some starts @ 2B

3 minutes ago, jb_power said:

I worry about a slow start from Poop Schoop and Marwin getting some starts @ 2B

Very possible. Also just as possible Marwin plays like s--- too though. 

14 hours ago, hangin n wangin said:

Traded Devers for some pitching help because I am counting on this guy to give me at something like .260/80/25/80.

I think there is definitely upside for more. Not great in OBP and OPS leagues, but if you don't play in one of those, he should produce solid counting stats.

Thoughts?

The word on the street is that he's going to start out the year batting 7th in the lineup. In order to get 80/80 he's gonna have to work himself into the upper part of the lineup. If he has fixed his swing I think .260/25/80/80 can be easily attainable in his AGE 27 season. 

If he is the #7 hitter on this crap team for an extended period he'll be an easy drop imo. Maybe in a couple months when he's actually playing in decent weather he'll be worth owning but I'm wondering why I bothered drafting him already.

30 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

If he is the #7 hitter on this crap team for an extended period he'll be an easy drop imo. Maybe in a couple months when he's actually playing in decent weather he'll be worth owning but I'm wondering why I bothered drafting him already.

This lineup will be better they’ve literally faced Kluber and Bauer lol.  Let’s wait until they get some losers before we see how he is in the 7 hole.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SuperJoint said:

This "crap team" may well beat out an overly complacent Cleveland in the AL Central this season.

He keeps hitting in the bottom half of the lineup which really limits his statistical ceiling.  I was considering dropping him until he got a little hot recently.  

On 4/14/2019 at 9:15 AM, dicka24 said:

He keeps hitting in the bottom half of the lineup which really limits his statistical ceiling.  I was considering dropping him until he got a little hot recently.  

It's the AL.  Line-ups turn over more with a DH so it isn't that big of a deal.  If he gets hot he will move up.  I never ever look at where in the line-up a player hits in April or anytime really.  If a batter is hitting .300 you are only 3 out of10 times going to benefit from an extra AB and 7 out of 10 times lose.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

14 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

It's the AL.  Line-ups turn over more with a DH so it isn't that big of a deal.  If he gets hot he will move up.  I never ever look at where in the line-up a player hits in April or anytime really.  If a batter is hitting .300 you are only 3 out of10 times going to benefit from an extra AB and 7 out of 10 times lose.

Not necessarily. You can go 0 for 1 in the extra at bat and still get benefit out of it (ie. get an RBI, reach base, score a run or steal a base after reaching base).

On 4/21/2019 at 1:44 AM, The Big Bat Theory said:

You are not wrong, but their manager is still an idiot for batting Schoop so low.  He's actually been dropped to 8th now for two days in a row.  It is the AL like you said, but it's still pretty idiotic to have him batting behind Cron and (especially) Marwin "I Was Good For One Season" Gonzalez.  I can give their manager that he's batting behind the catchers since Garver and Astudillo have been really good.  Schoop batting any lower than 6th right now is idiotic regardless of whether it's the AL or the NL.

8 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

You are not wrong, but their manager is still an idiot for batting Schoop so low.  He's actually been dropped to 8th now for two days in a row.  It is the AL like you said, but it's still pretty idiotic to have him batting behind Cron and (especially) Marwin "I Was Good For One Season" Gonzalez.  I can give their manager that he's batting behind the catchers since Garver and Astudillo have been really good.  Schoop batting any lower than 6th right now is idiotic regardless of whether it's the AL or the NL.

ROFL, Keppler at leadoff and Buxton 9th are the real lineup issues i see. But its Minnesota, they make due with what they got. I thought Schoop was poop but he looks better in Min where he can be hidden with all the JAG. He actually fits right in there and has somewhat resurrected his career. He is on the WW in all 4 leagues i'm in and wanted to see what people thought about him but this made me laugh so thanks.

1 hour ago, TheDuke34 said:

ROFL, Keppler at leadoff and Buxton 9th are the real lineup issues i see. But its Minnesota, they make due with what they got. I thought Schoop was poop but he looks better in Min where he can be hidden with all the JAG. He actually fits right in there and has somewhat resurrected his career. He is on the WW in all 4 leagues i'm in and wanted to see what people thought about him but this made me laugh so thanks.

Aside from the shot at Marwin Gonzalez, I was making jokes at all.  He's been knocking the cover off the ball, especially lately piling up the XBHs.  He easily deserves to be in the Top 5 of their lineup, or 6th at worst.

He should be in time like somebody said already, but it's silly he's not there already, especially rather than actually dropping him in the lineup.

Quietly hitting .290 and on pace for about 25 home runs and 80-90 RBIs.. I know a lot of us kind of wrote him off after his terrible 2018.. anything to see here? I’m still riding the brutal Shaw wave and it might be time to make this switch.. 2B is a lot more thin this year than expected so far 

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 7:47 AM, Motown_Magic said:

Quietly hitting .290 and on pace for about 25 home runs and 80-90 RBIs.. I know a lot of us kind of wrote him off after his terrible 2018.. anything to see here? I’m still riding the brutal Shaw wave and it might be time to make this switch.. 2B is a lot more thin this year than expected so far 

hopefully you have done that by now.

not much talk about Schoop.

1 hour ago, mlb2019 said:

hopefully you have done that by now.

not much talk about Schoop.

He's having a fine bounce back season, on pace to be close to his 2017 season except for batting average.

It doesn't help that he bats low in their lineup a lot, so doesn't get a ton of opportunities to rack up counting stats, which may be keeping him a bit under the radar as well.

How I this dude not raking in that lineup? I have the feeling he is going to get on a streak soon that will put him that will be epic for 2-3 weeks

HRs in three straight games now, including today's. Can't see him coming out of the lineup if he stays hot.

1 hour ago, k.k. said:

HRs in three straight games now, including today's. Can't see him coming out of the lineup if he stays hot.

I don't disagree at all, but you could say that he did nothing to ever lose his starting job in the first place outside of one awful month.  He's been solid all season really, but you wouldn't know it really based on how low he's hit in their lineup all season and the fact that he hasn't even played 3 games in a row like he has now in a long time.

Still, I would consider him a decent pickup right now.  Can't ignore a player with legit talent homering in 3 straight games