Sign in to follow this  
fawkes_mulder

Yandy Diaz 2019 Outlook

I still remember how Runsey Castillo's BP swings were a thing of beauty. Only to revert back to his bland swing in games.

I'm intrigued..but i need to see this swing when the pressure of a game is on. As players can revert to their natural habits in crunch time.

He hasn't eclipsed 10 HR in any minor league season, I doubt he is going to explode out of no where. Could be a source of batting average if he plays every day.

1 hour ago, StevieStats said:

iyRE3Qxz_400x400.jpg

Looks jacked, but is that any different than in year's past?  Or is this some new off-season regiment that has him poised to beat Brady Anderson in an arm wrestling contest?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Anything is possible. Yelich found his launch angle and look what happened to him. Diaz hard hit % is sandwiched between Mookie,Trout and Acuna...just saying. If he sells out a bit more and starts pulling the ball 20+ is certainly possible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StevieStats said:

iyRE3Qxz_400x400.jpg

Hahaha reminds me of this guy, offseason rotoworld hype superstar from 2010-2012

roger%20beast.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Tribe fans were split on him being traded.  I think he's an above average hitter.  He's more of a line drive hitter at this point so power number projection is not high.  The Rays seem to believe in him by trading Bauers for him. 

If Yandy figures out his launch angle he could be special. 

On 2/23/2019 at 2:36 PM, ndog78 said:

Tribe fans were split on him being traded.  I think he's an above average hitter.  He's more of a line drive hitter at this point so power number projection is not high.  The Rays seem to believe in him by trading Bauers for him. 

If Yandy figures out his launch angle he could be special. 

I was stunned at the fact they dealt Bauers for him, they have to be very confident they have an effective adjustment for him. I love that he's going to get a lot of playing time. Even if he doesn't fix his launch angle completely and just repeat his improved profile from last year, he will still have a batted ball profile similar to Yelich. I'm not saying he will be MVP but that LD-GB-FB profile of 23-53-23 can still produce a productive season, it's not debilitating like his previous 16% FB rate was... Yelich was 25-52-23 last year.

• Like 2

is Yandy a starter for the Rays?

rosterresource has Avisail at DH, Duffy at 3B, and Choi at 1B.

This guy not being able to figure out how to hit home runs is like the first unintentional meme ever created.

spacer.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SpecialFNK said:

is Yandy a starter for the Rays?

rosterresource has Avisail at DH, Duffy at 3B, and Choi at 1B.

I don’t have the cite handy, but I’ve heard Yandy can play 1B, DH, 3B, and OF this season. It may be a semi/poor man super utility situation.

On 2/22/2019 at 9:51 AM, Sidearmer said:

He hasn't eclipsed 10 HR in any minor league season, I doubt he is going to explode out of no where. Could be a source of batting average if he plays every day.

Jose Ramirez says hi!

5 hours ago, Gryfter said:

Jose Ramirez says hi!

Sure, but I won't be banking on the once every 30 year type of breakout to happen for Yandy. Its possible, but so is any random strong young player doing the same thing.

On 3/3/2019 at 1:15 PM, fawkes_mulder said:

I don’t have the cite handy, but I’ve heard Yandy can play 1B, DH, 3B, and OF this season. It may be a semi/poor man super utility situation.

Poor man's "super utility" aka "utility" player 🤣

• Haha 1

Slated to start at 3b on opening day for the rays. The hard hit rates are intriguing so between that and the picture of him looking like a beast above I grabbed him for $1 at the end of the draft.

Is he break out candidate or just run of the mill waiver wire guy?

I'm seeing his low HR totals but I also see 2 HR in 47 ABs during spring training.  I'm not one to put too much into Spring stats but someone who has 1 HR in 255 career big league ABs or 3 HR in 348 ABs in AAA last year..it does seem like maybe he did figure something out.  Not like guys who never hit HRs are just crushing them in ST....and not to say 2 in 47 ABs is crushing HR but it could be a sign of something to come.

9 hours ago, MrBrown said:

I'm seeing his low HR totals but I also see 2 HR in 47 ABs during spring training.  I'm not one to put too much into Spring stats but someone who has 1 HR in 255 career big league ABs or 3 HR in 348 ABs in AAA last year..it does seem like maybe he did figure something out.  Not like guys who never hit HRs are just crushing them in ST....and not to say 2 in 47 ABs is crushing HR but it could be a sign of something to come.

He has 16 ground outs against 11 fly outs. I don't have his hit data, but just from that I'm skeptical something has clicked yet.

On 3/3/2019 at 6:45 PM, Sidearmer said:

Sure, but I won't be banking on the once every 30 year type of breakout to happen for Yandy. Its possible, but so is any random strong young player doing the same thing.

Didn't Hanley basically do the same thing?

Yeah a once every 

3 hours ago, abrunn11 said:

Didn't Hanley basically do the same thing?

Yeah a once every 4-5 year breakout would be fine. Hanley, Melky, Joey Bats . . . I'd poop rainbows for post hype Alex Gordon 

Off a household name too. Good sign for a guy that never showed much power. 2nd game of the season has his 1st HR already.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MrBrown said:

Off a household name too. Good sign for a guy that never showed much power. 2nd game of the season has his 1st HR already.

But that was kind of a typical shot for what we have been talking about with launch angle issues...this thing was an amazing HR - to use a golf term it was like a driver off the deck line shot to straight away center hit the top of the fence bounced straight up and over.   I own some shares, I mean the physical tools are there and his PT situation is solid but that was not a HR that tells me launch angle issues are solved.    The average MLB HR is like 28% launch angle and I read somewhere that over 90% of MLB HR are at least 20% that one was I think 17% 

• Like 3