Sign in to follow this  
fawkes_mulder

Yandy Diaz 2019 Outlook

2 minutes ago, SkinsNoles21 said:

They said he tweaked his ankle. Tomorrow was already a scheduled day off for him. Ripped a double today. 

27 year olds need scheduled days off now.  6 baseball games in a row is too much.  They must rest those old a** legs on a schedue.

• Haha 1

Obviously not a leg day guy. Hopefully nothing serious and a day of rest and treatment is all he needs.

For those anticipating a breakout for Yandy, what type of numbers you seeinh with a full year of at bats?

55 minutes ago, 33legend said:

For those anticipating a breakout for Yandy, what type of numbers you seeinh with a full year of at bats?

I am also wondering this as well.  I have seen him mentioned as a potential sleeper this year on a few sites but looking at his career stats it doesn't look like he has much power or speed.  

13 minutes ago, KarlJ. said:

I am also wondering this as well.  I have seen him mentioned as a potential sleeper this year on a few sites but looking at his career stats it doesn't look like he has much power or speed.  

He has neither currently, but is a huge guy and smokes the ball..... straight into the ground. The reason for optimism is hoping he stops hitting ground balls at such a high rate. A launch angle hopeful. The average and plate discipline has always been good, so add some power and there's potential for fantasy relevance, possibly even minor studliness. 

42 minutes ago, mavsfan23 said:

He has neither currently, but is a huge guy and smokes the ball..... straight into the ground. The reason for optimism is hoping he stops hitting ground balls at such a high rate. A launch angle hopeful. The average and plate discipline has always been good, so add some power and there's potential for fantasy relevance, possibly even minor studliness. 

He was discussed on XM Fantasy radio Monday, and while it was Jim Bowden, he did say the Rays have had him focus on launch angle and swing path to get more power. 

I saw somewhere that his previous launch angle was 4degrees and fhe league average was around 17.  Hes also only has 9 homeruns as a professional. He just cranked one and caught my interest.  Is this a best case scenerio brandon belt equivalent? Someone said aguilar.  If i had an easy drop,id do it.

5 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

I saw somewhere that his previous launch angle was 4degrees and fhe league average was around 17.  Hes also only has 9 homeruns as a professional. He just cranked one and caught my interest.  Is this a best case scenerio brandon belt equivalent? Someone said aguilar.  If i had an easy drop,id do it.

Way better hit tool than Belt.  Belt is a better OBP/eye type bat.  Yandy has an elite hit tool, he just needs to lift the ball.  Rays seem to think they could teach him and early returns look good.

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

He broke his bat on that homer and still got it out of the park in a not-so-easy yard to hit it out of. Dude has unreal power potential.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, David Aames said:

leading off .....has a homer and an sb so far.....breakout anyone?

I think it’s safe to say the Rays are fixing his swing.  Didn’t know muscles was capable of bags also.  Nice surprise there.

• Like 1

Guy reminds me of one of my all time favorites... Ronny Gant! 

So the 4 degree launch angle is hard to wrap your head around, and kept me away until I saw his hard hit %. (3'rd in baseball I believe, not sure what site I saw the graphic on, but it's rare company!) He sure seems like an out of nowhere guy who could wind up on many winning teams this year. Great J-Up replacement so far, and hitting leadoff vs. lefties is an added bonus. Ride the lightning folks! 

1 hour ago, David Aames said:

leading off .....has a homer and an sb so far.....breakout anyone?

3 home runs? A  stolen base? An in rease in launch angle on an "elite hit tool"? Most muscular guy in the league? 1b/3b eligibility? What am i missing? Why is no one piming this guy?

• Like 1

Just now, Cesare13 said:

3 home runs? A  stolen base? An in rease in launch angle on an "elite hit tool"? Most muscular guy in the league? 1b/3b eligibility? What am i missing? Why is no one piming this guy?

Dh only in espn so maybe people are waiting to see if he plays like he did for the indiansIndians

8 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

See page 2 of thread 

8 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

Dh only in espn so maybe people are waiting to see if he plays like he did for the indiansIndians

He hit .312 with the Indians in 110 plate appearances?  

10 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

I think we were all interested but just needed to see the launch angles. We're seeing improvement but it's still not a guarantee. It's just a waiting game at this point but it's a promising start. Grab him if you can and wait it out.

I believe he started at 1st base today (ESPN gamecast says 1B-3B, and I saw 1B before, so I assume they shifted him over to 3rd later in the game), which means, so far he has:

Started 3 games at 1st Base, and needs 7 more for 1B eligibility (on fantasy sites requiring ten)

Started 5 games at 3rd Base, and needs 5 more for 3B eligibility.

A lot of people might see the DH designation not realizing he's about to pick up two of the most important positions to have, by the end of the month.

I'm all in, Rays continue to either bat him leadoff or 5th in the lineup.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He hit 4 HRs in 546 PAs last year between AAA and Majors. 

Pretty Obvious something has changed. SSS be damned. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigbluecrew56 said:

See page 2 of thread 

I meant more in terms of industry experts and fantasy sites.  He's hard to find anything about, although the "smoke and mirrors" stuff isn't out there either.  This leads to some obvious questions.  The primary one being "why hasn't anyone changed the approach of this 27 old mammoth yet?"

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

I meant more in terms of industry experts and fantasy sites.  He's hard to find anything about, although the "smoke and mirrors" stuff isn't out there either.  This leads to some obvious questions.  The primary one being "why hasn't anyone changed the approach of this 27 old mammoth yet?"

Probably because when he was signed out of Cuba as a 22 year old. He was viewed more as org depth until recent years. Overhauling a guys swing is easier said then done and takes time. Especially if his tendency most of his life was to swing down at the pitch and not up. Habbits are hard to break. 

• Like 1