Sign in to follow this  
fawkes_mulder

Yandy Diaz 2019 Outlook

Yandy Biceps is reminding me of Jose Bautista when he really came on.   This could be a special breakout...... I'm glad I grabbed him when I did. 

21 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Idk, mixed feelings now that RW blurbers seem to be buying in.

You're factoring in RW blurbs into your decision just like the very people you are hating on. 

Are you the guy who likes a band until they become "mainstream" and then you don't like them anymore?

Edited by SkinsNoles21
  • Haha 9

SSS of course but his 2019 plate discipline hints at a more aggressive approach.

The launch angle so far is around 8 from 4 in 2018. Not sure if we can say this is a big change.

He did always have power but he is a GB machine who's pulling the ball over 45%.

Not sure I can buy into this. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, fingy said:

SSS of course but his 2019 plate discipline hints at a more aggressive approach.

The launch angle so far is around 8 from 4 in 2018. Not sure if we can say this is a big change.

He did always have power but he is a GB machine who's pulling the ball over 45%.

Not sure I can buy into this. 

A big enough change for sure so far. 3 dingers in less than 10 games speaks for itself. If it's something they are consciously working on with him I'm sure we'll see that launch angle increase even more as the season progresses. 

6 hours ago, SkinsNoles21 said:

You're factoring in RW blurbs into your decision just like the very people you are hating on. 

Are you the guy who likes a band until they become "mainstream" and then you don't like them anymore?

portugal the man was so much better before they became famous

b.s. aside--yandy has literally all the tools of a solid OBP CI if he would just raise his launch angle. oh? what's that? he raised his launch angle? interesting...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, SkinsNoles21 said:

Man, you guys really did not get that my tongue was firmly planted in cheek here!! Mea culpa...

I just like to give the blurb-ists crap...usually by the time they actually come around on a guy, they are long gone in competitive/deeper formats is all.

• Like 6

DH today. At this rate it will be mid-May before we see position eligibility kick in but thats a minor complaint to anyone who picked him up.

the Yandy man can!!!

I love when a giant is woke!!! and he's fightin on my side...

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, RoadApple said:

DH today. At this rate it will be mid-May before we see position eligibility kick in but thats a minor complaint to anyone who picked him up.

Yeah I actually wanted to grab both Diaz and Choi for this week, but they're both stuck at Util eligibility in my league. Went with Yandy ofc.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RoadApple said:

He's played 6 games at 3B in the 10 they've played. It should be sooner than that.

14 hours ago, Jyeatbvg said:

He is good

Sure, if you look at his production blindfolded, or consider last season's guy good.

SSS, but has the same GB% and same Hard hit % as last season.
The FB% is 10% higher, but it is still only 30%, and the HR/FB is an unrealistic 27%, especially after watching the first 2 of his homers that barely cleared the wall by an inch or so.

Now looking at those 3 HRs, the 1st is clearly a linedrive, and the 2nd is barely can be called flyball. Even the commentator says linedrive.
(I did not find his 3rd "flyball HR" so I can only assume it was actually a flyball)

Im sure that on Fangraphs, the FB% is incorrect, since with only 1 possible flyball HR, the 27 % HR/FB would be impossible. It is 3/11, so they counted those linedrives as flyballs.
Take out those 2 HRs as they really are lindrives, and his FB% is suddenly only 3% higher than last season.

Right now it looks like he is the same guy as last season with a SSS a little bit of luck and Fangraphs lazyness.
So Im not a fanboy yet, jumping up and down.

Edited by JCD
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, JCD said:

Sure, if you look at his production blindfolded, or consider last season's guy good.

SSS, but has the same GB% and same Hard hit % as last season.
The FB% is 10% higher, but it is still only 30%, and the HR/FB is an unrealistic 27%, especially after watching the first 2 of his homers that barely cleared the wall by an inch or so.

Now looking at those 3 HRs, the 1st is clearly a linedrive, and the 2nd is barely can be called flyball. Even the commentator says linedrive.
(I did not find his 3rd "flyball HR" so I can only assume it was actually a flyball)

Im sure that on Fangraphs, the FB% is incorrect, since with only 1 possible flyball HR, the 27 % HR/FB would be impossible. It is 3/11, so they counted those linedrives as flyballs.
Take out those 2 HRs as they really are lindrives, and his FB% is suddenly only 3% higher than last season.

Right now it looks like he is the same guy as last season with a SSS a little bit of luck and Fangraphs lazyness.
So Im not a fanboy yet, jumping up and down.

The first is the hardest hit ball ever in Tampa. The second he BROKE HIS BAT and still hit it out. 

Maybe you're not a fan of "line drive" home runs, but they're still homers- they count the same. The guy has massive raw power, great discipline, and a great hit tool. No, he's not a perfect home run hitter yet, but the point of all of this is that there's clear and evident improvement being made. The fact that Yandy is already at three home runs is not the same player as last year getting lucky. 

You can sit around and wait for more proof, but if you're playing in any leagues where guys are paying attention, you're going to miss potentially one of the most valuable free additions in fantasy baseball this year. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, adifazio27 said:

This has some interesting data showing there are modest improvements and we might be seeing the early returns of a breakout. But my favorite was the Yandy quote. It's still too early to say the breakout is happening, but I've grabbed him everywhere because it might be happening, and if you wait until it's definitive you'll have a hard time picking him up against everyone else. He has potential for a good average with 25+ bombs. Plus a good obp in a good lineup spot.

“I’m not that type of a home-run hitter, but I’m doing better with my swing, trying to get the ball up in the air,” Diaz said. “And the results are getting there.”

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AnonymousRob said:

This has some interesting data showing there are modest improvements and we might be seeing the early returns of a breakout. But my favorite was the Yandy quote. It's still too early to say the breakout is happening, but I've grabbed him everywhere because it might be happening, and if you wait until it's definitive you'll have a hard time picking him up against everyone else. He has potential for a good average with 25+ bombs. Plus a good obp in a good lineup spot.

“I’m not that type of a home-run hitter, but I’m doing better with my swing, trying to get the ball up in the air,” Diaz said. “And the results are getting there.”

Bolded above is the mantra every fantasy manager should live by. No risk with Yandy but potentially all the reward in the world. 

• Like 3

No better feeling than picking a guy up, inserting him in the lineup and the team scores double figures and nothing but goose eggs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, billofwa said:

No better feeling than picking a guy up, inserting him in the lineup and the team scores double figures and nothing but goose eggs.

Did you refresh the page just to be sure like i did?

1 hour ago, Cesare13 said:

Did you refresh the page just to be sure like i did?

No.  I have my dignity..hahaha

My highlightesfrom the article found by AnonymousRob (thankyou) :

a big one for me was that his GB% went from 63% to 52% in one year with the Indians. 

• In 2017, Diaz got into 49 games for the Indians and showed stunning hard-hit skills. There were 387 hitters who had 100 batted balls that year, and Diaz's 50.1 percent hard-hit rate was fifth-best, just ahead of Nelson Cruz and JD. Martinez.

That ball, hit at 112.2 mph off the bat, was the fourth time in his career he's touched 112 mph. As The Athletic (subscription required) recently delved into, hitting even one ball that hard can have a meaningful impact on your rest-of-season projections, because it's incredibly difficult to do. It's a skill.

Diaz had posted a 16.9 percent strikeout rate and a 47.1 percent hard-hit rate. Both are comfortably above average, and the two names nearest him on the leaderboard? Manny Machado and Matt Chapman. It's incredible company.

2017: 1.6 degrees

2018: 8.1 degrees

2019: 11.3 degrees

Edited by Cesare13
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, dfstout said:

Out of lineup today and was pulled yesterday...just rest?

To be fair...he has done nothing since everyone picked him up Sunday 

• Like 2

Just now, Dr. Whom said:

To be fair...he has done nothing since everyone picked him up Sunday 

to be fair....its two games... also I was asking if he was hurt or not...

4 minutes ago, dfstout said:

Out of lineup today and was pulled yesterday...just rest?

If I didnt know better , I might guess Kevin Cash hates Fantasy Baseball and is doing his best to avoid getting Diaz position eligibility.

• Haha 1