Sign in to follow this  
fawkes_mulder

Yandy Diaz 2019 Outlook

1 minute ago, to_be_quite_frank said:

Thought this was interesting 

So hes hitting on the barrel more but not hitting it as hard. Thats odd.

51 minutes ago, to_be_quite_frank said:

He's added a whopping 11 feet to his average fly ball distance. He's almost doubled his barrells per batted ball event from 4.4 to 8.1. 

Here's a relevant article discussing why brls/BBE is important to look at: https://www.pitcherlist.com/going-deep-the-real-value-of-statcast-data-part-i/

That said, it's still lower than what you'd want to see. But combining that with the other data indicates Yandy is not the Yandy of old and he's trying to become something that brings power to the team.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AnonymousRob said:

Making any change to something that is already a habit is pretty difficult. Especially if that thing is hitting 90+ mph pitches.

But he's doing it. He's hitting a career high fly ball rate (granted still only 30%). But he's also pulling the ball at a career high rate of 38%. 

His launch angle is a pathetic 3.4%. But he's barrelling the ball when he does make contact at a decent 8.1%. I think what might be happening is a guy fighting against himself and old habits and we're seeing an inconsistent approach/results. His pull rate has been dropping back down a bit from even just a week ago. Maybe he'll revert back to his old self. Maybe it won't fully click over. Or maybe he becomes what was always hoped - a 30 homer threat with good average and obp.

This is the most interesting statistic to me.  Everyone talking about how launch angle is important (including myself) but that does not seem to be the main driver for HRs.  Or Diaz's start is just SSS.

51 minutes ago, B&F said:

7 hours ago, AnonymousRob said:

Making any change to something that is already a habit is pretty difficult. Especially if that thing is hitting 90+ mph pitches.

But he's doing it. He's hitting a career high fly ball rate (granted still only 30%). But he's also pulling the ball at a career high rate of 38%. 

His launch angle is a pathetic 3.4%. But he's barrelling the ball when he does make contact at a decent 8.1%. I think what might be happening is a guy fighting against himself and old habits and we're seeing an inconsistent approach/results. His pull rate has been dropping back down a bit from even just a week ago. Maybe he'll revert back to his old self. Maybe it won't fully click over. Or maybe he becomes what was always hoped - a 30 homer threat with good average and obp.

FWIW, I read an article (possibly one on this thread) about how the Indians have been trying to change it for years and have been working on it.  Tampa just though they could do a better job.  Its not as if this is the first year he's making these changes.  It MIGHT be the first year these changes are taking bearing fruit. Yonder Alonso is the first guy that comes to mind as a guy that changed his launch angle and had an explosion in his home run totals.  Either way, most people that are rostering him are doing so as a "wait and see"

• Like 1

It would appear he's been installed as everyday the 3-hole hitter v RH's now...so that's cool

• Like 1

There are a lot of fly ball pitchers that play against TB as well. Could be another reason for his success and why TB wanted him according to Brad Johnson on Fangraphs.

• Like 3

He hit #7 on the year tonight. I'm sure he's long gone in anything outside shallow leagues, but I just want to keep feeding the hype for those of us in 12+ teamers!

• Like 1

On 4/24/2019 at 12:06 AM, bjvance5 said:

There are a lot of fly ball pitchers that play against TB as well. Could be another reason for his success and why TB wanted him according to Brad Johnson on Fangraphs.

That's a good point. Though its not like the AL central is pitching murderers row.

Not sure what to make of the advanced data not matching his performance so far. He certainly looks like more of a power hitter to my eyes.

The Indians do have a huge high wall in LF that the Rays don't, could that be playing a factor?

Making his 9th start at 1B today. 1 game away from 1B eligibility on sites that 10games = position eligibility. Yandy with 1B/3B will be quite nice. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, swfcdan said:

That's a good point. Though its not like the AL central is pitching murderers row.

Not sure what to make of the advanced data not matching his performance so far. He certainly looks like more of a power hitter to my eyes.

The Indians do have a huge high wall in LF that the Rays don't, could that be playing a factor?

Just by eyeballing the distance on the homeruns combined with the still low launch angle,id deduce hes hitting a bunch of line drives for homers,not these towering moonshots.  Because hes pretty much a cartoon character a lot of his well hit balls just go further than the fence.  Theres been plenty of gym rats before,but i cant remember one with this hit tool and plate discipline.

On 4/23/2019 at 10:15 AM, to_be_quite_frank said:

[Foreword: No offense to you, you are just posting this guys tweet, this comment is directed to the Twitter personality, not you.]

What a stupid tweet by that person, totally cherry picks stats from not 1 but 2 small samples... 

Conveniently ignores excellent power development and discipline:

FB: 30.0% (2019) / 23.3% (2018) ✔

HR/FB: 33.3% (2019) / 4.8% (2018) ✔

Pull: 37.1% (2019) / 28.9% (2018) ✔

BB%: 15.2% (2019) / 9.2% (2018) ✔

You know he has an agenda when he mentions groundball rate changing 3% but purposely ignores fly ball rate improving 7%, aaaaand ignores HR/FB rate.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Launched a triple to the 420 foot mark to dead center mark. More of a long fly ball. Just keeps raking  

• Like 1

He'll definitely get another appearance at 1B. I'd be surprised if Lowe was a full-time player out of the gate. This is the Rays.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

He'll definitely get another appearance at 1B. I'd be surprised if Lowe was a full-time player out of the gate. This is the Rays.

Lowe will see some DH duty as well. If you are 1 start away from 1B I'd be shocked if you didn't have it sometime this week.

He already has 1B in my leagues, but we go on 10 appearances or 5 starts. I believe he had it before the season begun actually.

25 minutes ago, bjvance5 said:

0-8 today. Solid showing. 

I guess you’re gonna drop Mike Trout the next time he goes hitless in a doubleheader. 🤷🏻‍♂️

#washedup

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Dislimb said:

I guess you’re gonna drop Mike Trout the next time he goes hitless in a doubleheader. 🤷🏻‍♂️

#washedup

Who said anything about dropping anyone? Just making an observation. He had a horrible day. Only K’d once at least.

1 hour ago, bjvance5 said:

Who said anything about dropping anyone? Just making an observation. He had a horrible day. Only K’d once at least.

So what? Anyone can open their roster page and see Diaz had a bad day

This will be his worst day of the year im guessing lol. Chalk it up and get back at em tomorrow

13 hours ago, Del Rio said:

So what? Anyone can open their roster page and see Diaz had a bad day

Thanks for your input and contribution.

90% (complete guess) of posts on RW forums are people reporting stats and observations that can be made by looking at a players stat sheet. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Thoughts on Yandy vs Votto comps?  Both LD hitters with good eye and excellent hit tool.