Sidearmer

Hyun-Jin Ryu 2019 Outlook

Surprised there is no thread on him yet. Seems like a pretty interesting guy for this year. He was dominant when healthy last year, but only pitched 82.1 regular season innings (added 19 innings in the postseason). 89/15 K/BB , 1.97 ERA, 1.01 WHIP in limited time. He's had useful seasons in past, but never this good. Last year was his 3rd straight injury riddled season, so at this point its safe to call him "injury prone." However, the injury risk is priced into his value right now (204 ADP on Yahoo). At that point, its worth it to see if he can stay healthy. Also should be noted last year's injury was a groin strain, not arm related, so I don't think inning limits are in play here.

Taking a deeper look, some of the changes I noticed that led to his improved season were increased use of his cutter (18% to 24.8%) and curveball (15.8% to 18.6%). His curveball was also a harder curve, gaining 2 MPH from the previous year. Looks like a guy who is adapting to the change in trends of hitters. His SwStr% has increased every year in the MLB, up to a career best in 2018.

He's a case of one of those boring guys that gets forgotten about which makes him one of my favorite late targets. To boot, looks like he's tinkering with a new slider as well: https://thinkbluepc.com/2019/02/20/hyun-jin-ryu-is-developing-a-slider-apparently/

Edited by Sidearmer
  • Like 4

I'm definitely going to reach a little for him, for the reasons you mentioned. 

ADP (as of December) was about 200. I think he can provide solid ROI 

Great case for picking him up.  With the dearth of pitching he is worth picking up.

Got him as my SP8 in a 12-team league.  People seem to not be on this guy with his injury history.  However, with him going so late why not take a risk he stays healthy and returns great value?  I'm in.

I like the idea of stockpiling Dodgers SP in the late rounds. Ryu, Maeda, Stripling, maybe Hill. All can be very good and at least 2 should be in the rotation at any given time, so you manage the injury risk.

• Like 1

FantasyPros has him rated as the #53 SP overall. In 16 team leagues this currently puts him at SP4. However, since he doesn't have a "big name value" he may be overlooked in many drafts. He's a solid pitcher and if you pass him up you could do much worse.

If 10 day DL....errr injured list IL, is still intact the Dodgers will have him on their about 17 times this year and limit him to 22 starts as they manipulate the f*** out of current system.  So just be aware many starts will be missed.  

12 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

If 10 day DL....errr injured list IL, is still intact the Dodgers will have him on their about 17 times this year and limit him to 22 starts as they manipulate the f*** out of current system.  So just be aware many starts will be missed.  

I'm fine with that if they actually DL/IL him so I can replace him on my roster if he needs a break. If he makes 22-25 starts he will destroy his ADP very easily.

12 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Yeah the dodgers can be a pretty big pain for us that only do weekly leagues...most of the time you can read the tea leaves and spot their plan but it can be a headache.

I am a big Ryu fan, his pitches basically improved across the board last year and he's relatively cheap.

1 hour ago, Sidearmer said:

I'm fine with that if they actually DL/IL him so I can replace him on my roster if he needs a break. If he makes 22-25 starts he will destroy his ADP very easily.

Oh I absolutely agree, depending on league settings, Dodger pitchers generally lead to multiple pages of bickering and complaining.  Just have to know ahead of time what you’re getting into and plan accordingly and guys like Ryu can be extremely valuable.  

23 hours ago, Sidearmer said:

I think so, but the problem is he's done that once since 2014... that's why his ADP is where it is, it's baked in.

2 hours ago, BCMarch10 said:

One of the best underrated SP for 2019. Huge value.

Seriously. Look at the names going around in ESPN based on ADP. 

spacer.png

Give me Ryu out of all of those guys. His only knock is health, which I assume is the reason he's so low. When he's healthy he produces.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ryu a guy who shows velo isn’t end all. Change is nasty, awesome command.  Great pitcher.  A true throwback dude.  Seeing Marco over him made me puke a bit in my mouth.

• Thanks 1

Hopefully being an UFA after the end of the season will motivate him to stay relatively healthy, underrated for sure and his command is above average.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DezedandConfused said:

Hopefully being an UFA after the end of the season will motivate him to stay relatively healthy, underrated for sure and his command is above average.

so you think he has control over his yearly injuries ... interesting

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, jb_power said:

so you think he has control over his yearly injuries ... interesting

I meant motivate him to take the necessary steps preparation wise, but take it literally if u want

28 minutes ago, DezedandConfused said:

I meant motivate him to take the necessary steps preparation wise, but take it literally if u want

He's in as good a shape as I've seen him.   Not that he was in bad physical condition last year.

• Like 1

Hyun Jins groin is healthier than ever, it's back on the bone and it has been grafted on real good. Now he can focus on being an Ace

On 4/1/2019 at 3:33 PM, pushaZ said:

Hyun Jins groin is healthier than ever, it's back on the bone and it has been grafted on real good. Now he can focus on being an Ace

This post didn’t age too well 😲

• Like 1
  • Haha 3