Sidearmer

Hyun-Jin Ryu 2019 Outlook

Haven't seen a K to walk ratio that delicious since perennial RW favorite Ben Sheets back in 2006.

Ryu has legitimately been the best pitcher in baseball so far this season.

25 minutes ago, bradwatson said:

Haven't seen a K to walk ratio that delicious since perennial RW favorite Ben Sheets back in 2006.

Ryu has legitimately been the best pitcher in baseball so far this season.

He's pitched well enough to be ranked 33rd by some guy RW employs named Matthew Pouliot. https://www.rotoworld.com/article/strike-zone/june-starter-rankings-4

Right behind Yu Darvish.

Imagine paying a guy to make content that bad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, GriffeySwag said:

He's pitched well enough to be ranked 33rd by some guy RW employs named Matthew Pouliot. https://www.rotoworld.com/article/strike-zone/june-starter-rankings-4

Right behind Yu Darvish.

wondering if these people rank players for the benefit of "industry players." not for them to look good but them to do good (or at least try to) in their leagues.

it is funny that Ryu seemed like he peaked after his first few seasons. more so after his rookie season. a few seasons after that he is looking like a Cy Young winner.

• Like 1

He just needs to keep his a** healthy, and he will be elite. 

Literally his a**.

Edited by hangin n wangin
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, GriffeySwag said:

Right behind Yu Darvish.

He’s rated like 5 spots under Corey Kluber who likely won’t throw a MLB pitch until August

The only legit fantasy endeavor with Ryu is to have macabre ongoing pools going about when he'll come off and go back on the IL. I like his style, I wish we could see a full season of healthy, but he's thrown over 100 innings three times since 2013, and only once has he surpassed 153 innings. Hell, last time he cleared 150 innings was 2014. Fantasy rankings gonna troll, but Ryu is to health as Charlie Brown is to that football...

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, hangin n wangin said:

He just needs to keep his a** healthy, and he will be elite. 

Literally his a**.

No squats 

It took Hyun-Jun Ryu a full 2 years to fully recover after the shoulder surgery he had in May 2015 and get his really good stuff back again in 2017. It was a long road back. What a great comeback by Ryu! Such a gutsy guy. He truly deserves all the accolades he's getting now.

Most underrated pitcher in baseball in 2019. QS machine, if i even see 1 walk in his final line I'm surprised. Please stay healthy beast 

• Like 1

On 6/7/2019 at 1:56 PM, street sharks said:

Great read. Awesome stuff! If I recall correctly, Ryu doesn't do bullpen sessions getting ready for his next opponent. His does throw on the side and prepares a game plan. Dude is probably a genius and doesn't even know it.

I can't believe this. But Ryu has helped make my pitching so strong in my roto league that I'm thinking of sitting him @COL just because I can afford to.

But I guess if you're going to start anyone @COL Ryu would be one of your first choices, even though almost no one's numbers there are very good (including his).

Anyway, here are his Coors numbers:

W/L 1-3; ERA 7.56; WHIP 2.28

I realize he's a must-start for almost everyone in every league though.

4 hours ago, Fiveohnine said:

I can't believe this. But Ryu has helped make my pitching so strong in my roto league that I'm thinking of sitting him @COL just because I can afford to.

But I guess if you're going to start anyone @COL Ryu would be one of your first choices, even though almost no one's numbers there are very good (including his).

Anyway, here are his Coors numbers:

W/L 1-3; ERA 7.56; WHIP 2.28

I realize he's a must-start for almost everyone in every league though.

I still wouldn't start him in a roto league,  unless i had a killer lead or so far back it doesn't matter.  

H2H i think you probably take the plunge if you're feeling the need.  

Its ok to avoid Coors still.  HOFers have terrible numbers there.  

• Like 1

That turned out even worse than I expected. Glad I sat him. But I should probably just stick to a hard and fast rule of sitting @COL.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

That turned out even worse than I expected. Glad I sat him. But I should probably just stick to a hard and fast rule of sitting @COL.

Yup learned my lesson this week with him and Walker. Sitting Kershaw today for sure.

Paid attention to the majority of his start. Umpire was really squeezing him on the edges of the zone.

Not great when you're having to come towards the heart of the plate at Coors.

Disregard any and all Coors starts... I started him because my pitching has been absolutely atrocious this week and it couldn't get any worse. I'll do the same with Kershaw tonight. Coors is just a house of horrors.

deja vu. I guess most of us are sitting him tomorrow though. Still, it's a good sign that his thread has been quiet since his last Coors start.

Edited by Fiveohnine