buster444

Andrew Heaney 2019 Outlook

15 minutes ago, Random Dude said:

92 total pitches: 22 Swinging Strikes, 16 Called Strikes

Great showing. 

Indeed. Take them Ks anyway they come. 

His delivery is just so sweet, hides it very well and his extension makes the sinking FB so difficult for hitters to see/read, great chart tonight:

SI- sat 93 MPH and popped 95+, threw 53--41 for strikes with 29 swings and 7 whiffs, incredible sink and dart to the pitch.

CU- simply awesome tonight, (80 MPH) threw 36--23 strikes with 19 swings and 15!! whiffs with it...wow

CH- only 3 at 85 MPH but this certainly will be incorporated more moving forward--just sick movements both vert and esp horizontally.

• Like 1

Another 2 HRS. Thats 4 in 11 innings. Not trying to be a downer, but that will lead to a start where he gets shelled. Still a great pickup. That K potential is worth it.

That's why he's a high SP3 not a #2. He's a flyball pitcher so yes he has that flaw. But we've seen him go into Yankee stadium & pitch well, & remember...it's only his 2nd start of the year...let's just enjoy the ratios shall we? lol

12 hours ago, High&Inside said:

Another 2 HRS. Thats 4 in 11 innings. Not trying to be a downer, but that will lead to a start where he gets shelled. Still a great pickup. That K potential is worth it.

Heaney does this all the time. pitches 3 good games then 3 trash ones.

this guy pitches a few good games then a bunch of trash ones. he does this all the time.

1 hour ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

Did it look as bad as the box score line was? 

Watched the game and he just couldn't locate his pitches. He was all over the plate and struggled big time. All those walks caught up to him

9 hours ago, mlb2019 said:

this guy pitches a few good games then a bunch of trash ones. he does this all the time.

Yup. Just wishful thinking that we picked up a stud off the waiver wire

Yeah his SI/FB command just isn't there right now, zero red flags stuff wise from what I can decipher:

SI- sat it's usual 92-95 MPH with an absurd amount of both vertical and horizontal actions on, threw 52--31 for strikes with 22 cuts and 2 whiffs

CU- usual top rate spin action, sat 79 MPH, spun up 25--14 for strikes with 11 swings and 5 whiffs

CH- really needs to work this in more, it scores very well for it's dart and dive movements and splits his velo spectrum beautifully at at 85/86 mph, only 3--2 strikes with 2 cuts

I get that people are wanting more, but he did not get much of a ST and barely made a few rehab appearances, I see a solid get-low buy opp here...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's 5 starts... It's 25 innings... No spring training... Please... CALM THE HELL down. Geez it's like did some of y'all just start playing FBB yesterday? Pitchers have bad games... It happens... It's unpredictable...yeesh

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I hope his owner drops him in the leagues I don't already have him in.  Be patient.  He's not an ace, but he's a very good upside arm in fantasy.

On 6/20/2019 at 3:49 PM, dicka24 said:

I hope his owner drops him in the leagues I don't already have him in.  Be patient.  He's not an ace, but he's a very good upside arm in fantasy.

[...] my gut tells me to give Heaney another week due to him not having a spring training. 

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Bench Coach content

Yeah, I feel like he's worth holding although his next two starts are Vs Oakland and @ Houston which has me wavering a little. He has a pretty healthy K/9 and I feel like the walks will come down with more repetitions. At the end of the day I think he's better than what's out there on most waiver wires. If he stays healthy I think you'll be glad you kept him come Aug/Sept. 

He missed a lot of time.  The stuff looks like its there, and he simply needs to get the reps in like pitchers do with a normal ST and start to the season.  If he's available I'd pick him up,and if you own him I'd be patient. Depending on your league of course.

2 minutes ago, dicka24 said:

He missed a lot of time.  The stuff looks like its there, and he simply needs to get the reps in like pitchers do with a normal ST and start to the season.  If he's available I'd pick him up,and if you own him I'd be patient. Depending on your league of course.

Yeah I fully agree, stuff is charting and looking very good imo:

FA (sinker)- sat at least half a tick higher at almost 94 MPH, awesome sink and run movements on the pitch, threw 33--26 for strikes with 2 whiffs

CU- it's standard awesome spin/depth, just can't quite find the command on it, tossed up 31--16 strikes with 13 hacks and 3 whiffs (80mph)

CH- I asked for more and he really brought it out this turn! Perfectly splits his velo spectrum at 85.5 MPH, just some sick dive/dart actions on it--esp horizontal, just appears to tumble off the table, threw 20--12 strikes with 8 swings and 3 whiffs

After looking at the zone plot, he is just missing off the edges and low...he is not far off at all, other than burying the curve too much. Release points are dead-on too.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Got squeezed a lot, that is why the walk count was so high. Should've gotten couple more Ks and couple less walks. That difference would be the one between great start and mediocre

WHIP and Ks weren't bad.  In this day and age that seems like a solid start these days.