SpecialFNK

Delino Deshields 2019 Outlook

what to expect from DeShields as the Rangers starting CF?

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/rangers-delino-deshields-jr-will-start-in-center-field/

Rangers manager Chris Woodward plans for DeShields to start in center field, Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News reports.

The Rangers recently signed veteran Ben Revere to a minor-league contract and have discussed using Joey Gallo in center field, but Woodward put to rest any thought of DeShields in a backup role. "He's a dynamic player," Woodward said. "He's worked really hard. If he gets right, he could be the catalyst for our team. He puts a lot of pressure on defenses." There was some doubt DeShields would be around in 2019 after he plunged to a .216 batting average and .310 on-base percentage last season. Wanting to be more than an on-base guy, DeShields' plate approach got messed up as he tried to lift the ball more. The 25-year-old was twice demoted to the minors as a result. Coaches have worked on getting him to hit more line drives and groundballs, so that he can be the catalyst Woodward talked about.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SpecialFNK said:

what to expect from DeShields as the Rangers starting CF?

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/rangers-delino-deshields-jr-will-start-in-center-field/

Coaches have worked on getting him to hit more line drives and groundballs, so that he can be the catalyst Woodward talked about.

It all comes down to the enlarged excerpt there. It's hard to imagine how he could have been worse last year. If he fancies himself a power hitter that's bonehead. It's hard to correct bonehead. If he doesn't adjust his approach he won't be "starting CF" for long - I'm extremely skeptical and would not draft if I drafted tonight. 

His skills are sick though so I could be swayed - will be tracking him this spring for sure.

He’s everything I dislike about fantasy baseball.  Guys like Deshields Jr and his horrific .240/.660 with unideal K rate for having horrific hit tool should have no places on rosters.  But because he can run fast we reach for these losers and getting all giddy when they have a little hot streak thinking they’ve turned corner.  He’s a horrid hitter who will most likely not hit his way into a bench job at some point.  But yeah, he’ll probably find his way to 20+ steals because he’s fast.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

He’s everything I dislike about fantasy baseball.  Guys like Deshields Jr and his horrific .240/.660 with unideal K rate for having horrific hit tool should have no places on rosters.  But because he can run fast we reach for these losers and getting all giddy when they have a little hot streak thinking they’ve turned corner.  He’s a horrid hitter who will most likely not hit his way into a bench job at some point.  But yeah, he’ll probably find his way to 20+ steals because he’s fast.

While I agree with this if he hits .250 he will be valuable in fantasy so we can't just ignore him.

14 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

I agree with the overall sentiment. The perennial "Billy Hamilton is a category monster"  pick got me one year and ive despised these kind of players ever since. However, i think there is room for optimism with Delino. His body of work thus far in the bigs had been up and down with more up then down in my opinion. He was abysmal last year yes, but has put together decent if not pretty good years in 2015 and 2017 with an avg/sb of .261/25 (492 PA) and .269/29 (440 PA) respectively. IF he can lock down the CF and the leadoff spot and find some middle ground between last year and 2015/17, he is an absolute bargain at his ADP (350ish)

6 minutes ago, pedubwitat said:

Leading off

Today’s notes: Jon Lester isn’t the worst SP to steal off, but he’s really improved from 44 SBs allowed a few years ago to only 14 last year. Contreras threw out a respectable 34% last year (27/79)

Season has not been good but he is 5 for his last 12 with 4 runs, a walk and 3 sb. Don't drop him just yet. .366 OBP and 6 walks past 2 weeks

Every year, same thing...

"If only DeShields was a good hitter he'd be good!" 

Well guess what? Hes a s---y hitter and always will be.

• Haha 2

Just picked him up as a flier in roto where my steals are lookin shaky.. did the same damn thing last year and then he ended up in AAA 4 weeks later. Still, he’s only 26. Had a good spring training that has carried over.. Has had an OBP over .340 in the 2 years he played the most. 75+ runs each of those years too (120 games played each of those seasons).

This is a team that needs runs manufactured any way possible. If he plays in 140 games and hits .240 with an OBP at .330 or so, you’re looking at 75-80 runs and 30 steals, with upside for more. can’t believe I’m here again, but I need the steals, and maybe this is the year he doesn’t completely lose his eye at the plate? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/16/2019 at 2:10 PM, Motown_Magic said:

Just picked him up as a flier in roto where my steals are lookin shaky.. did the same damn thing last year and then he ended up in AAA 4 weeks later. Still, he’s only 26. Had a good spring training that has carried over.. Has had an OBP over .340 in the 2 years he played the most. 75+ runs each of those years too (120 games played each of those seasons).

This is a team that needs runs manufactured any way possible. If he plays in 140 games and hits .240 with an OBP at .330 or so, you’re looking at 75-80 runs and 30 steals, with upside for more. can’t believe I’m here again, but I need the steals, and maybe this is the year he doesn’t completely lose his eye at the plate? 

2 minutes ago, kwelch said:

Not quite 4 weeks later again, but damn close. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mtblock said:

Not quite 4 weeks later again, but damn close. 

Yeah this didn’t age well. He lasted a solid week on my team before I cut bait. Not lookin like I’ll ride the Deshields train ever again 

Anybody falling into the trap known as Delino DeShields again? 😀  He's actually been good since getting called back up, but how long will that last?

11 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Anybody falling into the trap known as Delino DeShields again? 😀  He's actually been good since getting called back up, but how long will that last?

considering it for sure, could use the steals...but very leary without question...lol

40 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Orioles pitching found a way to make a crappy hitter look good? 

7 hours ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

Orioles pitching found a way to make a crappy hitter look good? 

They do that to at least 90% of the league... 😀

He's running. Thats better than most can say this year at least. If he can muster 240 while stealing at a 40 steal pace I'm fine with that. 

• Like 1

His home/road splits are very drastic though (.320 at home and .172 on the road), and now they are back home.  If you're desperate for SBs (like I am right now), I don't think it would be a horrible idea to have him at least through this 4 game series (they go back on the road after Sunday).