nlm

Max Kepler 2019 Outlook

Astudillo handles the bat so well. I think you want him to get as many at bats as possible in the game.  Plus hit and run anytime Buxton is on first.

5 minutes ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

3 days, 3 homers for Max against the Phils.

Friday (at 2.08 min mark)

Saturday

Sunday

Yet another player that likes hitting in Philly. I think Max should have a fine year. Not so much high average but 25-30 hr potential with 10-15 thefts.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, AngryBeavers said:

only 5 games this week  😫

And the first 2 are DeGrom and Syndegaard.... still, there aren't better alternatives in 5 OF leagues right now.

3 hours ago, Hockey_Baseball said:

And the first 2 are DeGrom and Syndegaard.... still, there aren't better alternatives in 5 OF leagues right now.

And they are calling for a lot of snow Thursday into Friday in Minneapolis. I am benching him in my weekly league. 

• Like 1

Hitting .250 with 10 Runs 3 HR & 10 RBIs through 68 at bats thus far. can expect similar production ROS?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, weisberg26 said:

Hitting .250 with 10 Runs 3 HR & 10 RBIs through 68 at bats thus far. can expect similar production ROS?

I think Kepler is one of the more at-expectation hitters in baseball right now. His value will be ultimately determined by if he can get from 20 to 25 or more HRs obviously, and I think that's still a major question. Leading-Off though v. RHPs with a good eye in this line-up could make Kepler VERY sneaky for Runs. If they stay healthy I think the Twins are torching RHPs all year long. 

3 minutes ago, taobball said:

I think Kepler is one of the more at-expectation hitters in baseball right now. His value will be ultimately determined by if he can get from 20 to 25 or more HRs obviously, and I think that's still a major question. Leading-Off though v. RHPs with a good eye in this line-up could make Kepler VERY sneaky for Runs. If they stay healthy I think the Twins are torching RHPs all year long. 

Yea even looking last year in 532 AB's dude had 80 runs, i had no idea he scored that much which surprised me, very sneaky and they added Nelson Cruz

1 minute ago, kmoore1521 said:

Yea even looking last year in 532 AB's dude had 80 runs, i had no idea he scored that much which surprised me, very sneaky and they added Nelson Cruz

Kepler (L)
Polanco (S batting L)

Cruz

Rosario (L)

is one of the most low-key difficult starts for a RH Pitcher. That's a lot of quality bats, quality contact, and (sans potentially Rosario) quality eyes mostly coming at you from the Oppo-Handed side. Plus they have guys with interesting but not complete skill sets like Astudillo, Buxton, and Schoop, who also all help counterbalance v. LHP. I've changed tune on one team since the start of the year and I think the Twins win the Central. Offense is real and SPs aren't "great," but they're also in many cases clearly not bad. Bullpen (love Rogers) also has some back-end talent and depth if Parker, Hildy, and May keep playing up. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, taobball said:

Kepler (L)
Polanco (S batting L)

Cruz

Rosario (L)

is one of the most low-key difficult starts for a RH Pitcher. That's a lot of quality bats, quality contact, and (sans potentially Rosario) quality eyes mostly coming at you from the Oppo-Handed side. Plus they have guys with interesting but not complete skill sets like Astudillo, Buxton, and Schoop, who also all help counterbalance v. LHP. I've changed tune on one team since the start of the year and I think the Twins win the Central. Offense is real and SPs aren't "great," but they're also in many cases clearly not bad. Bullpen (love Rogers) also has some back-end talent and depth if Parker, Hildy, and May keep playing up. 

Totally agree. MIN was my pick for a weak AL Central heading into the year. Underrated lineup, pen has some depth, and rotation passable.

• Like 1

Good player but I think this is the 3rd year in a row he's supposed to be breaking out. If he still can't find a way to get his BA up and in turn drive in more runs, his value in 5x5 remains lower than his real life value.

To me, he is greatly improved. I did not think he would be able to handle leading off. But he has done a great job.  He can have some trouble with left handers. I think experience will make him a better hitter.  Who knows what kind of competition/experience he had when he was growing up in Germany.

First pitch today that he saw was a long home run to Right Field.

I like Kepler a lot.. unfortunately dropped him right before the weekend. But if you need Runs/HR/OBP, he's a nice pickup. Still not convinced he's more than a .250-.260 type guy. 

Breakout?

50 minutes ago, B&F said:

Breakout?

Yes. 

Posted (edited)

Dude has hit his 7 homers in 6 games, two series. 3 at Philly and 4 vs. BAL.

Despite the homeruns, he's still not really caught fire, yet.

Edited by papasmurf
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, papasmurf said:

Dude has hit his 7 homers in 6 games, two series. 3 at Philly and 3 vs. BAL.

Despite the homeruns, he's still not really caught fire, yet.

Considering the last 3 Hrs were in his last 2 games, you have to at least call it a hot streak....and a possible breakout if he continues to rake

Anyone of the "roto wizards" have an in depth analysis of what we are seeing here and potentially what to expect moving forward from this guy? Is he a .250 hitter or should we expect more?

13 minutes ago, RBI Sports said:

Considering the last 3 Hrs were in his last 2 games, you have to at least call it a hot streak....and a possible breakout if he continues to rake

It was against BAL. (When I need streamers I usually pick whoever is facing BAL)    Now he's coming up vs. HOU. If he has a big game vs. Verlander today then I think it's safe to start him everyday and see what happens.

I am not an advance metrics expert but his hard hit rate is up 5 basis points from last season to over 40% which is promising.

Posted (edited)

Had a big game, like most of the Twins, but injured... dammit

Looks like he lost track of the wall. Wasn't even making a jumping play. Literally ran into it.

Edited by papasmurf

I have no clue what to make of Kepler. Some weeks he looks like a stud, some weeks he pops up seemingly 3 times per game. 

That crash into the wall was pretty dumb considering the score of the game.