BrianM

Curtis Samuel 2019 Outlook

Sooo I see this move to Allen at QB as possibly good for Samuel. 

--Samuel had 7 targets last week whereas DJ Moore only had 2; only 1 week sample size, but C Newton seemed more locked in with Moore than K Allen is (in general)

--Newton was playing bad; Allen played well last week, albeit Arizona's defense--still 4 td passes to 0 for Newton in games 1 and 2

--Samuel was playing well, getting open, but Newton wasn't hitting him 

36 minutes ago, ukdesi said:

Sooo I see this move to Allen at QB as possibly good for Samuel. 

--Samuel had 7 targets last week whereas DJ Moore only had 2; only 1 week sample size, but C Newton seemed more locked in with Moore than K Allen is (in general)

--Newton was playing bad; Allen played well last week, albeit Arizona's defense--still 4 td passes to 0 for Newton in games 1 and 2

--Samuel was playing well, getting open, but Newton wasn't hitting him 

?

Okay and Newton will soon return to be the starter so the Allen to Samuel rapport connection is temporary at best.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, theSPANKER said:

?

Okay and Newton will soon return to be the starter so the Allen to Samuel rapport connection is temporary at best.

Cam has a Lisfranc injury so won't be back until at least after their bye

4 minutes ago, theSPANKER said:

?

Newton is out at least 4 weeks, if not 8, if not the whole season. In that time if Allen kills it , he may be hard to bench as well.

Although his timetable is unclear, multiple sources told Person that surgery isn't planned for Newton at this time; the fact it's even been mentioned is concerning. A non-surgical approach to recovery from Lisfranc normally takes 4-8 weeks to heal. If the Panthers choose to keep Newton out beyond their Week 7 bye, he'll be sidelined for the next three games with potential to return in late-October (at best). At this point, it would not be shocking to see him shutdown for the second consecutive season. Kyle Allen will continue to start in his absence.

• Thanks 1

Just now, vthokie3 said:

2 minutes ago, vthokie3 said:

Oh snap, didn't know thanks for the update.  As a fellow Curtis owner this looks good.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, theSPANKER said:

?

Ekeler is temporary as well but I do not think they are complaining much. 

Plus, it appears (as mentioned above) that Cam is likely out for an extended period. There was already speculation Cam would be gone next year. There is a (slim) chance he does not play again this season. 

• Like 1

Samuel will put up good numbers with Cam if Cam gets fully healthy.  Cam threw the ball great this summer.

Since Allen appears decent at worst, Samuel should put up good numbers rest of season.

• Like 1

[...] 

Haven't played him and feel JB has more upside as the BUFF #1 for the upcoming byes (not this week with Josh Allen out)

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Assistant Coach content

Just acquired Samuels as an "add on" in another trade. He or hardman will have to be my WR2 until AJ Green gets back. 

Those that watched the game, what happened against Houston? Was Allen off his game?

• Like 1

No Jalen Ramsey this week. He's probably the best athlete on the team and he always seems to be open. If Allen gets it together, this guy could be a legit stud. I  B E L I E V E !

• Like 1

4 hours ago, obithewan said:

No Jalen Ramsey this week. He's probably the best athlete on the team and he always seems to be open. If Allen gets it together, this guy could be a legit stud. I  B E L I E V E !

Wait what? How about the NFLs #1 RB through 4 weeks?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, obithewan said:

I didn't say best player.

So the #1 running back in the entire league is not the best athlete on his own team? I’m going to just agree to disagree. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, martinjlm said:

So the #1 running back in the entire league is not the best athlete on his own team? I’m going to just agree to disagree. 

Emmitt Smith spent 15 seasons in the National Football League. He is the NFL’s all-time leading rusher. He had seasons where he rushed for 1771 yds and 25 TD’s, 1484 / 21, and 1713 / 18.  He’s been league MVP, he’s been super bowl MVP....and he’s been ‘em both in the same season.

Not a once, in 15 seasons, was Emmitt Smith the best “athlete” on his team. Not one time. And I don’t think he would argue otherwise.

Christian McCaffery may or may not be the best athlete on the 2019 Carolina Panthers. Could be, I dunno; case could certainly be made that he is.

Of course, just as valid a case could be made for Curtis Samuel. He’s pretty damn electric.

Then again, a certain 6’5, 245 lb, one-time 4.5 speed having, national champion QB leading, Heisman trophy winning (in his his one and only season at the helm in D1 college football), former first overall pick being, 2015 NFL MVP - who goes by the name Cam Newton...now HE...he probably would argue otherwise.

In any event, doesn’t matter to me; I really don’t have an opinion on the matter. 

Point is, being the “#1 running back in the entire league” — which, in McCaffery’s case, would be statistically speaking (cause Saquon Barkley, Ezekiel Elliott, et al...they say hello); statistics aided by, to a not so insignificant extent, a league high usage rate — does not automatically make nor necessarily even qualify one as being the singular best athlete on one’s team.

Edited by Chest-Rockwell
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Chest-Rockwell said:

Emmitt Smith spent 15 seasons in the National Football League. He is the NFL’s all-time leading rusher. He had seasons where he rushed for 1771 yds and 25 TD’s, 1484 / 21, and 1713 / 18.  He’s been league MVP, he’s been super bowl MVP....and he’s been ‘em both in the same season.

Not a once, in 15 seasons, was Emmitt Smith the best “athlete” on his team. Not one time. And I don’t think he would argue otherwise.

Christian McCaffery may or may not be the best athlete on the 2019 Carolina Panthers. Could be, I dunno; case could certainly be made that he is.

Of course, just as valid a case could be made for Curtis Samuel. He’s pretty damn electric.

Then again, a certain 6’5, 245 lb, one-time 4.5 speed having, national champion QB leading, Heisman trophy winning (in his his one and only season at the helm in D1 college football), former first overall pick being, 2015 NFL MVP - who goes by the name Cam Newton...now HE...he probably would argue otherwise.

In any event, doesn’t matter to me; I really don’t have an opinion on the matter. 

Point is, being the “#1 running back in the entire league” — which, in McCaffery’s case, would be statistically speaking (cause Saquon Barkley, Ezekiel Elliott, et al...they say hello); statistics aided by, to a not so insignificant extent, a league high usage rate — does not automatically make nor necessarily even qualify one as being the singular best athlete on one’s team.

Your assumptions are flawed as Samuel can’t even be the best WR on his own team let alone the best athlete. Go check out DJ Moore’s ATHLETIC metrics https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/dj-moore/ vs https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/curtis-samuel/

Edited by martinjlm

4 minutes ago, BLINDSIDERS said:

Drop City in my 10 teamer. 

In 10 team or less sure, anything above that and if he isn't owned he needs to be. 

54 minutes ago, martinjlm said:

Your assumptions are flawed as Samuel can’t even be the best WR on his own team let alone the best athlete. Go check out DJ Moore’s ATHLETIC metrics https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/dj-moore/ vs https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/curtis-samuel/

What happened to agreeing to disagree? This ain’t it 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, martinjlm said:

88% v. 92% SPARQ, what a huge discrepancy! You do know that these metrics don't tell the entire story either, right? I never made a statement of absolute truth, only that when I've seen footage, Samuel looks like the crispiest dude out there. You're blowing this way out of proportion.

Edited by obithewan
Word
  • Like 1

I'm expecting a huge breakout game for Curtis on Sunday.  Starting with confidence.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, savagenatn said:

Almost an entire page on who’s the most athletic Carolina panther? What the hell is this nonsense?

I made the mistake of expressing a casual (playful) opinion and it was interpreted as... well, you already know.

5 minutes ago, Nap Time said:

I'm expecting a huge breakout game for Curtis on Sunday.  Starting with confidence.

Same. I'm rolling him out mostly due to Davante's injury, but sans Ramsey, I think he could have a big game.

• Like 1