Sign in to follow this  
BrianM

Nick Foles 2019 Outlook

News came out that he's free, no tagging involved.   Nice of the Eagles to cut the man a break I guess.

Everyone seems to assume Jacksonville is the destination, and if I'm Foles, and they're paying the right amount, a Florida team with an OC I know, a good bit of talent still around, and no state taxes, that's an obvious yes. 

There's still some good talent here.  Westbrook had a pretty good year amongst the chaos.  I'm not sure which defense we'll get- '17's juggernaut or '18's disaster, but there has to be an alignment here that produces a winning team if things go a certain way.

I feel fairly comfortable taking Foles as my QB3 in my 2 QB league.   I tend to aim for guys who are unlikely to be benched.  I wouldn't expect much but he's got enough juice to have a handful of good games, and probably not be a turnover machine that kills me in the weeks i need him.  

Maybe the Giants should consider him...last thing the Eagles would want to see.

• Like 1

I feel like there's no point in NY getting another vet.   Live with Eli or get a rookie.   But yeah, that'd be a fun twist

I dont see Miami as a better stop than Jacksonville, and since they're rebuilding, they might not even care to chase a Foles.

Washington perhaps?   But how much can they afford with Alex Smith already on the books.   Jax looks rosier with him knowing the game plan there.  

Skins should get him and navigate a way around it budget-wise

Broncos, Jags, Raiders, Titans, Bengals, and Dolphins should all be in play in the AFC. Even trading for Flacco, with Foles out there you can take that chance.

NFC has a bunch of QB-needy teams as well. I'd prefer he went to the AFC though.

I dont get a Broncos connection at all.   Flacco's their guy, they're not even a consideration for me if I'm Foles.    

Titans really really need the best backup QB they can get, as Mariota's a weak bet to play 16 games, and they have a good team who can get to playoffs if the backup can win a few games when called upon.   That said, would Foles want to be the benchwarmer?   Tough to see him making the same amount there as he would to start elsewhere.

No idea what the Raiders might do, so that's possible I guess.

I dont really see much open in the NFC, unless maybe Carolina needs him to replace Cam for a year.  I feel like every team short of Washington or NY has their QB for the year already in house.  

• Like 1

If Foles is viewed as an upgrade over Flacco and Keenum why not bring him in? Wouldn't you like to win? I view Foles as an upgrade.

The Bucs aren't set at QB. If Arians wanted to go forward with Foles there is nothing stopping him. Winston is only signed for his 5th year rookie option. Bears are a possibility if they don't view Trubisky getting them over the hump with the amazing defense they currently have. Bears are a QB away from being a true contender. Cards? Rosen was bad last season and there has been talk about the Cardinals trading him and drafting Murry. Lions? There are definitely 12+ teams in the NFL that would be better with Foles.

34 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Skins should get him and navigate a way around it budget-wise

Redskins o-line has been a sieve of injuries and they have no talent in the wr room. I can see Foles failing miserably there 😞

5 minutes ago, devaster said:

If Foles is viewed as an upgrade over Flacco and Keenum why not bring him in? Wouldn't you like to win? I view Foles as an upgrade.

The Bucs aren't set at QB. If Arians wanted to go forward with Foles there is nothing stopping him. Winston is only signed for his 5th year rookie option. Bears are a possibility if they don't view Trubisky getting them over the hump with the amazing defense they currently have. Bears are a QB away from being a true contender. Cards? Rosen was bad last season and there has been talk about the Cardinals trading him and drafting Murry. Lions? There are definitely 12+ teams in the NFL that would be better with Foles.

I think the best spots if he is signed as a starter are Miami with the rebuild, jax to put them back in playoff hunt and Bengals because he will be cheaper than extending Dalton if  they are drafting a rookie in the next year or 2

1 hour ago, dashoe said:

Redskins o-line has been a sieve of injuries and they have no talent in the wr room. I can see Foles failing miserably there 😞

I mean, yes, they have been devastated by injuries across the board.  But they aren’t too bad off on the O-line when healthy.

1 hour ago, dashoe said:

I think the best spots if he is signed as a starter are Miami with the rebuild, jax to put them back in playoff hunt and Bengals because he will be cheaper than extending Dalton if  they are drafting a rookie in the next year or 2

Foles isn't much better than Bortles, if any.

1 minute ago, dmb3684 said:

Foles isn't much better than Bortles, if any.

he's less mobile than Bortles but I think he is a better decision maker and he doesnt seem to get as flustered by the defense. Sometimes with bortles you wonder what he read before he threw a pass

Are we not even addressing Bortles’s passing platform?

3 minutes ago, dashoe said:

he's less mobile than Bortles but I think he is a better decision maker and he doesnt seem to get as flustered by the defense. Sometimes with bortles you wonder what he read before he threw a pass

You are for sure right about decision making. Bortles is way more likely to lose a game. I just don't think switching from Bortles to Foles adds a lot. Maybe adds a win? Jax should be rebuilding IMO.

1 hour ago, devaster said:

Re: Broncos- its not as if Foles's availability was a sudden unexpected thing,  Everyone knew he'd be moving on, one way or another, so if the Broncos had the sense to trade for a vet QB, if they had an interest in Foles, they would've explored that before they make the Flacco trade.   

I get what you're saying about the teams you noted here.   You can absolutely contend that Foles improves them, but my POV is that they're not even going to consider the idea.   Lions benching Stafford?   No way in hell with that contract.      I 100% think the Bears are better with Foles, but the level of commitment they have to Trubisky is going to make that an impossibility.      While Rosen is surely no lock for the Cardinals, what sense does it make for them to chase a veteran on a bottom of the barrel team?   If they want to reset and go for Kyler, there's some sense in that decision, but i can't see the logic in chasing Foles.    You can absolutely say its foolish for these teams to just roll with what they have, and i dont disagree.  I just believe there's no realistic chance of it actually happening.  

Bears are a *K away from being a true contender.

*fixed.

If Foles is viewed as an upgrade over Flacco and Keenum why not bring him in? Wouldn't you like to win? I view Foles as an upgrade

Because they already brought Flacco in

To the Jags.  4 years, 88 mil.  50.125 guaranteed.

Edited by ToO_BaD

9 minutes ago, ToO_BaD said:

To the Jags.  4 years, 88 mil.  50.125 guaranteed.

LOL. Jags gonna Jag.

The guaranteed is the surprising amount. 22mil/season is relatively cheap for a mid-level starter.

2 minutes ago, devaster said:

The guaranteed is the surprising amount. 22mil/season is relatively cheap for a mid-level starter.

He's the 11th highest paid QB at the moment. Good for him, seems like a good dude, but way too much IMO.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dmb3684 said:

He's the 11th highest paid QB at the moment. Good for him, seems like a good dude, but way too much IMO.

I don't really see the 22mil/year being too much. Top tier guys are getting 28+ these days, some not deserving.

2 minutes ago, devaster said:

I don't really see the 22mil/year being too much. Top tier guys are getting 28+ these days, some not deserving.

I think it's more that it was to the Jags tbh. Waste of money for them I think.

Edited by dmb3684

18 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

For the guy a year removed from beating Brady to win SB MVP? Not too much.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

I think it's more that it was to the Jags tbh. Waste of money for them I think.

5 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

For the guy a year removed from beating Brady to win SB MVP? Not too much.

22 minutes ago, devaster said:

all this talk about money, idk. regardless of too much or too little it's an enormous upgrade of blake chuckles. not saying nick foles is everything, but he has demonstrated grace under pressure at times, shown us that he can play with the big boys, and although i would've made a move for teddy bridgewater over foles it is still a HUGE upgrade long due for the jaguars. the jaguars do have some pieces in place; certainly, cutting loose bortles has severed the weakest link, and nick foles gets a team to work with all spring, and to start for come august/september.

tenor.gif?itemid=4993022