CrypTviLL

Ketel Marte 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2019 season will be locked on 2019-11-28. Please finish any 2019 discussions here, and take any 2020 outlook discussions to the 2020 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

Message added by tonycpsu

Recommended Posts

Just now, brockpapersizer said:

I don't care if it's April 5th I'm doing my victory lap 

 

You earned it.

You sold me on this guy.

Soooooo glad I drafted him

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I don't care if it's April 5th I'm doing my victory lap 

I don't own him (at the moment), so I don't care if you are doing your victory lap. 😉

I am tempted to make a move for him though to see if this is for real.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lot of writers picked Ketel to break out this year

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess the only issue coming into tonight's game was the fact that he was still sucking against RHP like he had in the past.  That would be the only thing that would hold him back from truly becoming another Jose Ramirez, but obviously tonight's game will have changed those splits "a bit". 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the Jose Ramirez comparisons can't cease at this point. Ketel needs to first learn how to take a walk instead of hacking at everything in sight. He would morph back into his usual self after I pick him up from the waiver wire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this party over? I'll give him some more time, but he seems to be cooling off....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mi26 said:

Is this party over? I'll give him some more time, but he seems to be cooling off....

Seems the comparisons to Jose Ram are appropriate since both can go into epic cold streaks.  He's still roster able just bench until he heats up again.

Edited by JetsAwesome

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

has a 1.000 ops against lefties (where he bats right handed)

he's dreadful against right handed pitchers, and unfortunately that's what he'll see most of the time

maybe he should try hitting right handed against RHP cause he sucks balls on the left side

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, bradwatson said:

Ride over?

He streaks, now he slumps some so no it isn't over.  It's baseball.  This guy is breaking out this season according to some people here and elsewhere online.  Drop at your own risk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

He streaks, now he slumps some so no it isn't over.  It's baseball.  This guy is breaking out this season according to some people here and elsewhere online.  Drop at your own risk.

 

The .253 obp kept me from buying high, I wouldnt drop him though. Was a year too early on Ketel, I drafted him last season. 

Edited by loro1991

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

He streaks, now he slumps some so no it isn't over.  It's baseball.  This guy is breaking out this season according to some people here and elsewhere online.  Drop at your own risk.

 

His upside is going to be capped as long as he struggles to hit RHP. He'd be a lot easier to hang onto if he mashed righties and sucked against lefties

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

He streaks, now he slumps some so no it isn't over.  It's baseball.  This guy is breaking out this season according to some people here and elsewhere online.  Drop at your own risk.

Define breakout. His peripherals are pretty much all below average besides speed. What kind of breakout do you see when you look at this? He looks like pretty much the same player as last year but with a slightly higher launch angle, higher K rate, and lower walk rate.

And I'm not trying to argue... I'm trying to decide if he's worth holding onto.

Screenshot_20190420-073947_20190420074811109.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

cutting him loose in a 12team redraft....so many great MI available this season

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/22/2019 at 11:50 PM, bigbossman said:

cutting him loose in a 12team redraft....so many great MI available this season

I just can never say it enough patience you really should have practiced patience I have most of what I've seen this offseason screams break out here and all I've done is read no deep diving or anything like that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bugkilla said:

I just can never say it enough patience you really should have practiced patience I have most of what I've seen this offseason screams break out here and all I've done is read no deep diving or anything like that

Ok I posted up above asking what screams breakout? His batted ball profile screams jag to me. 2 homers tonight are nice though of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, bradwatson said:

Ok I posted up above asking what screams breakout? His batted ball profile screams jag to me. 2 homers tonight are nice though of course.

 

Im so confused as to what people are expecting here?

The most aggressive projections had him with 14 Hr, 58 rbi, 72 runs and 12 Sb. 

He is almost 50% to the most aggressive projections and there are still 6 days left in April.  

Sometimes I think the sabermetric guys lose sight of what’s actually happening. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Smallball said:

 

Im so confused as to what people are expecting here?

The most aggressive projections had him with 14 Hr, 58 rbi, 72 runs and 12 Sb. 

He is almost 50% to the most aggressive projections and there are still 6 days left in April.  

Sometimes I think the sabermetric guys lose sight of what’s actually happening. 

Projections assume a player is the same?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This dude was just dropped prior to last nights 2hr game. I feel like taking a flier but how does everyone feel about him ROS? Just a streaky hitter?  He’s almost halfway to the HRs he hit last year. Maybe he gets close to 20? 

Could he possibly be a 65/18/80/10/.255 guy? 

That would be useful with his multi position eligibility. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

This dude was just dropped prior to last nights 2hr game. I feel like taking a flier but how does everyone feel about him ROS? Just a streaky hitter?  He’s almost halfway to the HRs he hit last year. Maybe he gets close to 20? 

Could he possibly be a 65/18/80/10/.255 guy? 

That would be useful with his multi position eligibility. 

yes to all your questions and I feel good about him.  Ketel and Eduardo Escobar are similar to Eddie Rosario in terms of streakiness(He's just better and a tad more consistent).  Very talented players that go on epic cold streaks and get insanely hot for a month.

 

Just keep him in the utility spot whenever you can(or the matchup warrants it) and you'll get these rando 2 hr 5 rbi performance every once in a while.  He's generally not atrocious when he's cold just a little mediocre.

Edited by JetsAwesome

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

This dude was just dropped prior to last nights 2hr game. I feel like taking a flier but how does everyone feel about him ROS? Just a streaky hitter?  He’s almost halfway to the HRs he hit last year. Maybe he gets close to 20? 

Could he possibly be a 65/18/80/10/.255 guy? 

That would be useful with his multi position eligibility. 

Seems very reasonable. Tempted to say he'll do better.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

This dude was just dropped prior to last nights 2hr game. I feel like taking a flier but how does everyone feel about him ROS? Just a streaky hitter?  He’s almost halfway to the HRs he hit last year. Maybe he gets close to 20? 

Could he possibly be a 65/18/80/10/.255 guy? 

That would be useful with his multi position eligibility. 

Think 25/15/.270 is completely within the realm of possibility

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Orioles123 said:

Think 25/15/.270 is completely within the realm of possibility

Ya I was a bit conservative with my projection but definitely think he can set a career mark for HRs this year and raise his average over last years numbers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.